ahhh help my team! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ahhh help my team!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ahhh help my team!

Postby Tim » Sun May 12, 2002 1:19 pm

Im currently in 2nd tol last place in my 8 team, rotessier league...

C-Micheal Barret
1b-Mike Sweeney
2b-Frank Catalanotto
3b-Shea Hillengrand
SS-Miquel Tejada
OF-Torii Hunter
OF-Brian Giles
OF-Jay Gibbons
Utl-Preston Wilson
Utl-Paul Konerko
Utl-Carlos Pena
Bench-Alou
DL-Juan Gonzalez
DL-Edgar Martinez

P-Freddy Garcia
P-Tim Hudson
P-Matt Morris
P-Roy Oswalt
P-Javier Vazquez
P-Brandon Duckworth
P-Matt Clement
P-Bud Smith
RP-Eddie Guardado
RP-Eric Gange
RP-Troy Percival
RP-Shigetoshi Hasegawa

now as you may imagine im in first in almost all pitching categories
i know i have to trade some pitchers...but who? and who should i ask for them? my team is slowly getting better...so should i keep this for awhile...or make some drastic changes?
Tim

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Maybe this will help

Postby timkell » Sun May 12, 2002 1:52 pm

Brandon Funston (The Gamer) over at ESPN posted the numbers on the average numbers it took to win each 5X5 rotisserie category last year in all types of leagues (MLB, NL, AL, etc. Link below). Winning pitching and save would be nice, but there's no need to win it by a wide margin. Try using these numbers, approximate what you'll get out of each of your pitchers, and see who you think you can get rid of to improve in other categories, while still keeping the lead in the pitching categories:

http://games.espn.go.com/content/flb/20 ... amernotes6
timkell

Postby Arlo » Sun May 12, 2002 5:47 pm

Great link, timkell! Very interesting numbers.

That's quite a difference between your hitters and your pitchers, Tim. I agree: you definitely need to trade an arm or two for a bat. I'd start by seeing if there's any interest in one of your bottom three starters; maybe you can get an upgrade (or possibly a speed-only player) that way.

Then, I'd try and trade one of your top five sp's for a top-notch hitter. All five are of roughly the same value (which makes your rotation so formidable); see who draws the most interest. Don't accept anything less than a true stud for one of these guys, though.

It might take a bit of work, but I think you have the overall potential to make a serious move in the standings. It looks like you've already made some good free agent or waiver grabs to start moving in the right direction.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tim » Wed May 15, 2002 3:33 pm

instead of making a diff thread every time i come here im just gonna countinue to write in this one...so i trade juan gonzalez for shawn green...and picked up david eckstein to give me steals...i dropped bud smith...im gonna trade alou for byun kim...which i think is good...considering i need more saves...
Tim

Postby Arlo » Wed May 15, 2002 4:34 pm

Good moves. I'm a bit surprised you could get Kim for Alou - sounds like somebody is very worried about Mantei. Aside from improving your roster, I think you've also gained quite a bit more flexibility in terms of making future trades. Now if only Green would heat up...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tim » Wed May 15, 2002 10:16 pm

im looking to trade edgar martinez...who do you think i could get for him? what do you think i need?
Tim

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 3:47 am

Well, if you're the Mariners, you could get Ruben Sierra for him... B-)

Seriously, though, it's pretty hard to say what you can get for an injured player. Some owners wouldn't touch him now for fear he won't be back at 100%, while others will give you close to full value. I'd be looking for a good (but not great) hitter at one of the positions where you have no backup (insurance against a Hillenbrand collapse, for instance). Or, even better, see if you can pick up a speed-only guy who you can insert in your lineup or bench depending on your current needs. It can't hurt asking Pierre's owner, for instance, whether Juan might be available (for Edgar plus another player, possibly) - he'd look pretty good with your team.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tim » Thu May 16, 2002 2:58 pm

i was considering pierre before...but with his lack of rbi's he doesnt seem too appealing...i mean i know he is primerily a run guy...but 5 rbi's come on...i think ecksteain will be good for now...the team with kim really wants alou...but should i get kim, or pierre for alou? he's willing to do either
Tim

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 4:11 pm

Either would be a terrific trade for you. Check the standings - if Eckstein should give you enough steals and you need saves, go get Kim. If you're doing well in saves so far and/or there's a closer available on the wire, grab Pierre.

Pick your favorite category - either way, this deal is great!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tim » Thu May 16, 2002 9:04 pm

My current team

C-Micheal Barret
1b-Mike Sweeney
2b-Frank Catalanotto
3b-Shea Hillengrand
SS-Miquel Tejada
OF-Torii Hunter
OF-Brian Giles
OF-Shawn Green
Utl-Preston Wilson
Utl-Paul Konerko
Utl-David Eckstein
Bench-Moises Alou
Bench-Juan Encarnacion
DL-Edgar Martinez

P-Freddy Garcia
P-Tim Hudson
P-Matt Morris
P-Roy Oswalt
P-Javier Vazquez
P-Brandon Duckworth
P-Roy Halladay (forgot to mention him before)
P-Matt Clement
RP-Byung-kim
RP-Eddie Guardado
RP-Eric Gange
RP-Troy Percival
RP-Shigetoshi Hasegawa
Tim

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers