Careers in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Careers in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Careers in baseball?

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 am

mrider wrote:
jzfran wrote:I'm headed to college next year and I looked into the whole sports world for a career. What I learned was that it's very rewarding but finding an extry level job and moving up can be very challenging.

Here's a list of every sports management program in the country. Some are really bogus programs, but the certified ones are all quite reputable. The most popular/best include UMass, Ohio U, and Bowling Green. Feel free to PM me if u have any questions.

I'm looking for Sports Managment in Canada next year. I only know of Acadia but anyone else know of any in Canada?

Last year when I was looking at universities, I remember hearing Brock had a pretty good sports management program. Other than that, I'm not sure, I didn't really focus on solely Canadian schools, nor on sports management programs. Acadia is a great place though, it's very small and they do have quite a bit of a sports focus. I visited Nova Scotia last summer, and I nearly went there in the end.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Careers in baseball?

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:50 am

Frappy wrote:Here's a couple things I would love to do:

- Play-by-play/color commentary, radio/TV
- Amuteur Scout, Advanced scout, Minors scout (Do all of those exist? I remember hearing about each)
- Something to do with writing would be interesting too. Writing and writing creatively is something I can do well.
- Agent
- And my dream job would be manager of course :P

With the agent and GM jobs, you're likely going to eventually need a law degree.

As for the play-by-play/commentary/writing, you'd be well served to go into something involving broadcast journalism, or just normal journalism, and work your way up with small, minor league teams. I'm going into journalism (I think), and while it would be nice to cover sports eventually, I certainly won't be restricting myself to just that area.

And scouting? Well I'd think you'd really have to know the game to do this job. I mean I think I know the game very well, but I don't really think I would have much of a skill in determing the good players from the bad players, and recognizing tools and skills. A lot of my knowledge is based on the interpretation of numbers and statistics, and a lot of scouting has nothing to do with that. As an example, many scouts liked Alex Rios from the beginning because of his tools, though his numbers at both the minor and major leagues showed that he wasn't that good a player. Now he's hitting as well as any outfielder in the league, and you've got a guy like me sitting here a little bit surprised at how he's been able to break out like this. Many scouts have also played the game at a fairly high level. These would probably be jobs to get into unless you have a baseball background with some connections.

Good luck with everything, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk