Careers in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Careers in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Careers in baseball?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Finding a job in baseball or professional sports, for that matter is difficult, especially at the entry level because the support-side jobs (i.e. marketing, finance, legal) are usually taken by those with substantial years/workload of experience. With that said, if your aim is to get into a support-side job initially, then normally it's best to strive for an internship in a business-related field with the team you're applying for. I reckon that the transition to executive management can be a tad easier in doing so than it is from a GM-specific background of an education.

Networking really, really helps you out because such internships are very competitive, to the point that the teams don't post them on job boards. I knew a few people in college who wound up in entry-to-mid-level management right out of college working for the Clippers and Lakers front office, respectively, because they knew someone who could land them an internship to begin with.

If you're looking to become a GM, I'd also advise studying Law or even a JD/MBA at graduate level. This should give you the extensive knowledge of contract law as well as a good foundation on how to run a franchise like well, a business.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frappy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Im entering my Senior year of high school so college is still a bit off. Is there anything I should start doing/looking into now? I have connections in UNC, but I didn't see anybody list them as a school suiting these purposes.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frappy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Man, in terms of networking and internships I have no idea where to start and where to start looking. The only real connections I have lie in UNC at Chapel Hill. Hmm..

Edit: Also, I haven't seen too much on scouting. How does even start to work towards becoming a talent scout, advanced scout, etc?
Last edited by Frappy on Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frappy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:40 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Frappy wrote:Man, in terms of networking and internships I have no idea where to start and where to start looking. The only real connections I have lie in UNC at Chapel Hill. Hmm..

Networking - Dont worry about that until you get to college. There will be PLENTY of opportunities once your there to meet people (special lectures, professors etc).

Well thank you, that's a little more encouraging! I really do believe baseball is something I can find a career in. I follow it so much and everything I do concerns it. Im not a kid who won a public Yahoo league and thought he's some amazing prodigy, but Im somebody who's very passionate about the game itself. I can't begin to list all the things in my daily like that concern the game and the workings within, but I just know I can get somewhere with this. For now, Ill just tackle my senior year of highschool next year. What else should I start doing now or ASAP?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Field » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Frappy wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Frappy wrote:Man, in terms of networking and internships I have no idea where to start and where to start looking. The only real connections I have lie in UNC at Chapel Hill. Hmm..

Networking - Dont worry about that until you get to college. There will be PLENTY of opportunities once your there to meet people (special lectures, professors etc).

Well thank you, that's a little more encouraging! I really do believe baseball is something I can find a career in. I follow it so much and everything I do concerns it. Im not a kid who won a public Yahoo league and thought he's some amazing prodigy, but Im somebody who's very passionate about the game itself. I can't begin to list all the things in my daily like that concern the game and the workings within, but I just know I can get somewhere with this. For now, Ill just tackle my senior year of highschool next year. What else should I start doing now or ASAP?

Your job for this summer is to research colleges you want to apply to, and do some interesting volunteer work to put on your resume. If there is a local minor league baseball team in the area, I would strongly recommend getting a job with them doing anything. You can start your networking there even if you work concessions. Small minor league stadiums give you great access to a lot of the people behind the scenes. One of my friends did this, he now works for the team in the business end of things.

You said that you have connections at Chappel HIll, if you can get in there that is one of the best universities in the country. You'll get a good liberal arts education, and if you get good grades and score well on your LSAT (a lot of if's- I know) , you'll be able to pretty much pick any law school in the country you want to attend.

Good Luck ;D . I wish I had people giving me advice before I went to college :[ .
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Spiegepj » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:44 pm

To tell you the truth, it's all about who you know. These day's it's almost impossible to get a decent job in the sports industry. I am looking into doing the same thing and this is what I have done:

I finished my Freshman year at Miami University in Ohio majoring in Finance. As a sophomore, I am working 10-15 hours a week in the Marketing department. How did I get this job? I emailed the Athletic Directer and had a meeting with him about what I wanted to do with my life. He actually invited me back and I got to listen in on a conference call of all the Div. 1 athletic directors arguing over the Div/ 1 Football schedule for this year. I also sent our my resume to a bunch of minor league teams around the north east. This would be for an internship next summer. I have heard back from a couple and hope to have an interview during winter break. Dude, my only advice is to be better then everyone. Meet as many people as you can and just strive for the best. Dont let anyone tell you you can't do it.
Spiegepj
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Frappy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:59 pm

Thanks, so far I emailed a couple of people that are behind the scene-ish basically for advice. I also emailed the Cub's beat writer Carrie Muskat asking about some form of contact for Tim Wilken - a top scout and current scouting director of the Chicago Cubs. Mainly right now Im just emailing some people in the business asking for advice while trying to convey my passion and determination for this field.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk