Careers in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Careers in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Careers in baseball?

Postby Frappy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello, I recently turned 17 last week as well as took my ACT. This got me thinking about what I really want to do in the future and having a career associated with baseball would just be extremely fulfilling. Im a bright student (4.3 GPA, hoping for 30-32 on ACT) with great ability to learn quickly and adapt. Im dedicated and driven to self-improvement and I usually get results. However, Im stuck at how I would tackle certain ideas in terms of college and education.

Here's a couple things I would love to do:

- Play-by-play/color commentary, radio/TV
- Amuteur Scout, Advanced scout, Minors scout (Do all of those exist? I remember hearing about each)
- Something to do with writing would be interesting too. Writing and writing creatively is something I can do well.
- Agent
- And my dream job would be manager of course :P

I know the last one is shooting for the moon, but what can I do now and in my near future (college) to work towards a career concerning my above interests? Also, if you know of any other Jobs/Careers in baseball that may be interesting - tell me about it!

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration, I hope to hear from you!

-Matt
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Careers in baseball?

Postby cordscords » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 pm

I'm currently in the 2+2 program with St. John Fisher for Sports Management.

Fisher has a course credit internship with the Rochester Red Wings (Twins AAA club) so I hope to work my way up with that organization and hopefully become a general manager :)
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Frappy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 pm

Being a GM would be absolutely amazing, but don't you have to be pretty high up in the organization's owning 'company'? I guess if Jim Hendry can become a GM, it's not out of the question for others.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:12 pm

For the final two, law school is a high suggested route :o
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:29 pm

Frappy wrote:Being a GM would be absolutely amazing, but don't you have to be pretty high up in the organization's owning 'company'? I guess if Jim Hendry can become a GM, it's not out of the question for others.

:b Very true.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jzfran » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 pm

I'm headed to college next year and I looked into the whole sports world for a career. What I learned was that it's very rewarding but finding an extry level job and moving up can be very challenging.

Here's a list of every sports management program in the country. Some are really bogus programs, but the certified ones are all quite reputable. The most popular/best include UMass, Ohio U, and Bowling Green. Feel free to PM me if u have any questions.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrider » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:43 am

jzfran wrote:I'm headed to college next year and I looked into the whole sports world for a career. What I learned was that it's very rewarding but finding an extry level job and moving up can be very challenging.

Here's a list of every sports management program in the country. Some are really bogus programs, but the certified ones are all quite reputable. The most popular/best include UMass, Ohio U, and Bowling Green. Feel free to PM me if u have any questions.

I'm looking for Sports Managment in Canada next year. I only know of Acadia but anyone else know of any in Canada?
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:41 pm

From what I have heard, if you want to be on the operations/management side of the sports world, a Law Degree is one of the most important things. A Law Degree from a top program is probably better than a Sports Management degree from a top program. Especially for a GM, you have to be able to understand contracts and other legal issues.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to General Talk