Careers in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Careers in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Careers in baseball?

Postby Frappy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello, I recently turned 17 last week as well as took my ACT. This got me thinking about what I really want to do in the future and having a career associated with baseball would just be extremely fulfilling. Im a bright student (4.3 GPA, hoping for 30-32 on ACT) with great ability to learn quickly and adapt. Im dedicated and driven to self-improvement and I usually get results. However, Im stuck at how I would tackle certain ideas in terms of college and education.

Here's a couple things I would love to do:

- Play-by-play/color commentary, radio/TV
- Amuteur Scout, Advanced scout, Minors scout (Do all of those exist? I remember hearing about each)
- Something to do with writing would be interesting too. Writing and writing creatively is something I can do well.
- Agent
- And my dream job would be manager of course :P

I know the last one is shooting for the moon, but what can I do now and in my near future (college) to work towards a career concerning my above interests? Also, if you know of any other Jobs/Careers in baseball that may be interesting - tell me about it!

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration, I hope to hear from you!

-Matt
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Careers in baseball?

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:25 pm

Look for a college that has a sport management program. Some colleges that I know have them are:

Syracuse
Ithaca
UMASS-Amherst

There are some others but those are the prominent ones. You could also go into broadcast journalism or just journalism in general and work your way into the sports field.

The sports industry is VERY competitive. I am in a sport mgmt program now and it is tough to find internships. But you first need to get into a sport mgmt program and get some experience and contacts (via interships, professors)
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby cordscords » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 pm

I'm currently in the 2+2 program with St. John Fisher for Sports Management.

Fisher has a course credit internship with the Rochester Red Wings (Twins AAA club) so I hope to work my way up with that organization and hopefully become a general manager :)
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Frappy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:50 pm

Being a GM would be absolutely amazing, but don't you have to be pretty high up in the organization's owning 'company'? I guess if Jim Hendry can become a GM, it's not out of the question for others.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:12 pm

For the final two, law school is a high suggested route :o
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:29 pm

Frappy wrote:Being a GM would be absolutely amazing, but don't you have to be pretty high up in the organization's owning 'company'? I guess if Jim Hendry can become a GM, it's not out of the question for others.

:b Very true.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jzfran » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 pm

I'm headed to college next year and I looked into the whole sports world for a career. What I learned was that it's very rewarding but finding an extry level job and moving up can be very challenging.

Here's a list of every sports management program in the country. Some are really bogus programs, but the certified ones are all quite reputable. The most popular/best include UMass, Ohio U, and Bowling Green. Feel free to PM me if u have any questions.
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrider » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:43 am

jzfran wrote:I'm headed to college next year and I looked into the whole sports world for a career. What I learned was that it's very rewarding but finding an extry level job and moving up can be very challenging.

Here's a list of every sports management program in the country. Some are really bogus programs, but the certified ones are all quite reputable. The most popular/best include UMass, Ohio U, and Bowling Green. Feel free to PM me if u have any questions.

I'm looking for Sports Managment in Canada next year. I only know of Acadia but anyone else know of any in Canada?
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:41 pm

From what I have heard, if you want to be on the operations/management side of the sports world, a Law Degree is one of the most important things. A Law Degree from a top program is probably better than a Sports Management degree from a top program. Especially for a GM, you have to be able to understand contracts and other legal issues.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Field wrote:From what I have heard, if you want to be on the operations/management side of the sports world, a Law Degree is one of the most important things. A Law Degree from a top program is probably better than a Sports Management degree from a top program. Especially for a GM, you have to be able to understand contracts and other legal issues.

Yep. If you want to be an agent or GM u need to have a JD. An Agent especially becuase of all the contracts and negotiaitons with the teams lawyers. I am going to law school for this very purpose, i want to be an agent or work for a team in the legal capacity
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk