Underage Drinking - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Underage Drinking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Underage Drinking

Postby Mugrila » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:05 am

Coppermine wrote:Part of the reason why DUI isn't has heavily enforced and punished here as in Europe (believe it or not) is because it would simply result in a lot of people ending up in jail. America's a rural country and it seems the farther you get from civilization, the farther apart the bars are. This is because small communities don't want much alcohol flowing freely in their backyards, but it has the unfortunate side effect of increased DUI... people aren't drinking less in small-town America, quite the contrary.

It doesn't make it any less serious, but it's just another problem that we pretend doesn't exist by limiting how much alcohol people have access to. I live in a fairly rural area and bars are fought tooth and nail, liquor licenses are strictly limited and staggeringly expensive, and people literally drive miles to get a few drinks (which often turns into much more than a few). I'm not saying having bars litter the landscape is a solution to the problem, but perhaps if we didn't turn a blind eye to the fact that over 70% of the population drinks, smaller communities would provide more public transportation, and/or encourage cheap car and taxi services.

Funny timing, I just drove through a sobriety checkpoint on the way home tonight. Saw they had one guy in cuffs and a few more that looked like they could be following.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:50 am

Mugrila wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Part of the reason why DUI isn't has heavily enforced and punished here as in Europe (believe it or not) is because it would simply result in a lot of people ending up in jail. America's a rural country and it seems the farther you get from civilization, the farther apart the bars are. This is because small communities don't want much alcohol flowing freely in their backyards, but it has the unfortunate side effect of increased DUI... people aren't drinking less in small-town America, quite the contrary.

It doesn't make it any less serious, but it's just another problem that we pretend doesn't exist by limiting how much alcohol people have access to. I live in a fairly rural area and bars are fought tooth and nail, liquor licenses are strictly limited and staggeringly expensive, and people literally drive miles to get a few drinks (which often turns into much more than a few). I'm not saying having bars litter the landscape is a solution to the problem, but perhaps if we didn't turn a blind eye to the fact that over 70% of the population drinks, smaller communities would provide more public transportation, and/or encourage cheap car and taxi services.

Funny timing, I just drove through a sobriety checkpoint on the way home tonight. Saw they had one guy in cuffs and a few more that looked like they could be following.

And I just convinced somebody not to drink and rive tonight. I think I can' drive better than he can right .now! :B :D !+)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:59 am

brewcrew4you wrote:I drank when I was underage to encourage the girls to also drink. Drunk girls was pretty much the goal back then... and I don't think that the mindset of teenage boys has really changed that much recently. I'd support lowering the drinking age, if only to teach girls that they don't have to get sloppy drunk and make bad choices (std, baby, date rape, etc).

I like where your head's at.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:01 pm

bceagles04 wrote:I'm 17 and just graduated high school, so I suppose I'll weigh in.

I have a history of alcoholism both on my dad's side, and my mom's. Since alcoholism is indeed genetic, I have been very very careful, and have abstained from drinking until now. I just felt that it wasn't something I needed to be messing with in high school. I plan on drinking in college, but my goal will not be to get as hammered as possible, black out, and wake up with no memory of my previous night. I will drink to be social, and to losen up a bit. However because of my terrible family history it is essential that I take care.

For someone that has apparently thought this through, you seem to be mikssing the bigger picture. Do you really think that the people in your family sought to get hammered as possible and black out?? Of course not, at least in the beginning. I bet that they originally drank to be social and loosen up.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bceagles04 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:I'm 17 and just graduated high school, so I suppose I'll weigh in.

I have a history of alcoholism both on my dad's side, and my mom's. Since alcoholism is indeed genetic, I have been very very careful, and have abstained from drinking until now. I just felt that it wasn't something I needed to be messing with in high school. I plan on drinking in college, but my goal will not be to get as hammered as possible, black out, and wake up with no memory of my previous night. I will drink to be social, and to losen up a bit. However because of my terrible family history it is essential that I take care.

For someone that has apparently thought this through, you seem to be mikssing the bigger picture. Do you really think that the people in your family sought to get hammered as possible and black out?? Of course not, at least in the beginning. I bet that they originally drank to be social and loosen up.

I can say for that at least a few close relatives, a very very unstable family life led to the abuse. So they weren't looking for a way to be social, as much as a way to drown out their pain. Because I have great parents, and a great upbringing, I will not succumb to an addiction for that reason.

You do however bring up another point, in that an addiction can stem from some very minor social drinking. You start drinking a beer or two a night just to get loose...then slowly you depend on the beer whenever you go out in public. It is this addiction progression that is more likely to affect me rather than the situation I mentioned above.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:10 am

bceagles04 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I can say for that at least a few close relatives, a very very unstable family life led to the abuse. So they weren't looking for a way to be social, as much as a way to drown out their pain. Because I have great parents, and a great upbringing, I will not succumb to an addiction for that reason.

You do however bring up another point, in that an addiction can stem from some very minor social drinking. You start drinking a beer or two a night just to get loose...then slowly you depend on the beer whenever you go out in public. It is this addiction progression that is more likely to affect me rather than the situation I mentioned above.

It's one thing to talk about it. It's one thing to even be tied into it very closely via family. But it's a completely different ballgame when it comes to dealing with addictions yourself. It's indescribable. You don't realize it until it's too late, and even if you have the strongest most supportive family possible, it's unbearably painful, embarassing and difficult to overcome. It's a good thing you've thought deeply about it, but also realize that it's not as easy as it seems -- otherwise so many people wouldn't fall prey to it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Previous

Return to General Talk