cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Underage Drinking

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:17 pm

Part of the reason why DUI isn't has heavily enforced and punished here as in Europe (believe it or not) is because it would simply result in a lot of people ending up in jail. America's a rural country and it seems the farther you get from civilization, the farther apart the bars are. This is because small communities don't want much alcohol flowing freely in their backyards, but it has the unfortunate side effect of increased DUI... people aren't drinking less in small-town America, quite the contrary.

It doesn't make it any less serious, but it's just another problem that we pretend doesn't exist by limiting how much alcohol people have access to. I live in a fairly rural area and bars are fought tooth and nail, liquor licenses are strictly limited and staggeringly expensive, and people literally drive miles to get a few drinks (which often turns into much more than a few). I'm not saying having bars litter the landscape is a solution to the problem, but perhaps if we didn't turn a blind eye to the fact that over 70% of the population drinks, smaller communities would provide more public transportation, and/or encourage cheap car and taxi services.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Your friendly Biblical reminder wrote:The Bible does not say drinking alcohol is bad. The Bible says being drunk is bad.

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Your friendly Biblical reminder wrote:The Bible does not say drinking alcohol is bad. The Bible says being drunk is bad.

Not according to one of my co-workers... apparently Jesus turned water into grape juice. 8-)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:33 pm

"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes." - Abe "the babe" Lincoln
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sportsguy138 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
da1chipo wrote:Seeing as how I live in this underage drinking world right now...

While a few people may want to "rebel", the majority of the people I know and go (went, now) to school with drink heavily because they actually enjoy being drunk. Some people's parents actually help them throw parties and provide alcohol, and those kids drink just as much as other ones. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but around here, people drink to get drunk, because they like being drunk. That and it's "cool" too.

I agree with this. I don't drink but I know that parents of people in my grade provide alcohol for parties and don't care if their kids drink. People do it because they want to be drunk, and it's a "cool" thing they can do with their friends.

I don't see it as people thinking that it's cool. But for people with a long week of school to get off their stress on weekends and just having fun with friends. You might say that you can have fun other ways, but drinking just makes it more fun..
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 407)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:43 pm

well in terms of consumption, the US is not near the top in most studies on terms of alcohol consumption.

That said, one of the biggest crocks is the aura surrounding the "respect" for alcohol in European youth. While its true, Europe also has a large number of functioning alcoholics. And British youth culture is as bad, if not more bad than US when it comes to drinking. My girlfriend has several friends from Germany, and they get ripped as well. I think kids will be kids really.

I'd really rather we reverse the drinking and driving ages to be honest. At least alcohol is in the constitution.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Coppermine wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
da1chipo wrote:Seeing as how I live in this underage drinking world right now...

While a few people may want to "rebel", the majority of the people I know and go (went, now) to school with drink heavily because they actually enjoy being drunk. Some people's parents actually help them throw parties and provide alcohol, and those kids drink just as much as other ones. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but around here, people drink to get drunk, because they like being drunk. That and it's "cool" too.

I agree with this. I don't drink but I know that parents of people in my grade provide alcohol for parties and don't care if their kids drink. People do it because they want to be drunk, and it's a "cool" thing they can do with their friends.

That's not teaching responsible drinking though; quite the opposite. Parents who throw "parties" for their kids and let them get drunk are just cementing an already growing problem and trend. I agree we shouldn't just be coming down on the parents who forbid their children from touching booze, but I think its those parents who teach their kids to respect alcohol and understand its effects that are the ones who grow up to drink responsibly.

I wasn't praising it or saying it's teaching responsible drinking, I'm just saying that's the way it is.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brewcrew4you » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:21 pm

I drank when I was underage to encourage the girls to also drink. Drunk girls was pretty much the goal back then... and I don't think that the mindset of teenage boys has really changed that much recently. I'd support lowering the drinking age, if only to teach girls that they don't have to get sloppy drunk and make bad choices (std, baby, date rape, etc).
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:31 am

I'm 17 and just graduated high school, so I suppose I'll weigh in.

I have a history of alcoholism both on my dad's side, and my mom's. Since alcoholism is indeed genetic, I have been very very careful, and have abstained from drinking until now. I just felt that it wasn't something I needed to be messing with in high school. I plan on drinking in college, but my goal will not be to get as hammered as possible, black out, and wake up with no memory of my previous night. I will drink to be social, and to losen up a bit. However because of my terrible family history it is essential that I take care.

As far as the drinking age, I think it should be lowered to 18. Hell, if you can serve, and vote by age 18, you sure as hell better be able to drink. Furthermore, if parents/teachers/government officials backed off a little bit, the underage drinking rate would plummet. The rate of teenage drinking is a direct correlation with the amount of time and energy that goes towards preventing it. The more and more parents try to keep it away, the more and more their kids will flock to it. This is how teens work; rebellion. If everyone just relaxed, and viewed alcohol with a much less cynical eye, I am almost certain that the underage drinking problem would slowly reduce.

Lets sub in some arbitrary activity in for alcohol. Lets try basketball. Just for kicks, lets say some health inspector found basketball detrimental to the left ventricle of the heart. Parents would immedietely go beserk in a country wide attempt to stop their teens from playing this awful sport. Anti-basketball campaigns would be started, and it would be absouletly insane. Teens, in effect would begin to sneak off at night to play basketball without letting their parents know. Basketball would be the new alcohol. Now sure basketball is NOT harmful to our health, but the fact remains that if we put anything in place of alcohol, the parents would battle against it, and the teens would find a way to do it.

I truly believe that if the parents, coaches, and school administration backed off on the intensity of the battle, teens would follow suit, and treat alcohol as just another activity, and not the HIGHLIGHT of college. (which to me is just incredibly depressing.)

Thoughts?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk