Gavin Floyd - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gavin Floyd

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gavin Floyd

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:43 pm

How good is this guy. I picked him up last year in our minor league draft and am already haveing him mentioned in just about every trade talks I have been in.

To be truthfull I havent even seen him pitch. When it was my pick in last years minor league draft I cross referenced a few different websites and he was the highest rated guy still available in the minors for me, so I grabbed him.

Isnt he a late call up if he is to even arrive this year?
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:45 pm

He has the potential to be real good. 1 or 2 starter on a ML team. It shouldn't take him too long to get there either. I wouldn't trade him unless you can really upgrade a position or you don't have many other options.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:52 pm

he has been one of the youngest and brightest pitching prospects since he has been drafted, and yes if he even gets called up it will be nothing more then a likely late sept. call-up. i haven't seen him pitch but i know many think he has great potential but seem to think he hasn't been living up to it last year since his strike out totals aren't to high (he is projected as a power pitcher). i've heard some say they limited him to not throw his curveball (one of the best curves in the minors) last year but others say he was allowed to this last year, so i'm not quite sure, maybe someone else would know better. in any case he is a great prospect w/ tons of upside. it's not surprising everyone is asking for him. rated only behind hamels in the phillies system by baseball america, here is a small write up by them on him.......

Drafted: HS--Severna Park, Md., 2001 (1st round).
Signed by: Ken Hultzapple.

Background: Floyd likely would rank as the top prospect in at least half the other organizations. He signed for a club-record $4.2 million as the fourth overall pick in 2001—one spot before fellow Mount St. Joseph High product Mark Teixeira—and the Phillies haven't regretted it. Philadelphia signed Gavin's older brother Mike, an outfield, as a 22nd-round pick out of the same draft.

Strengths: Floyd entered his pro career with two plus pitches, a 92-95 mph fastball with movement, and a shoulders-to-shoelaces hard curveball that rates a top-of-the-line 80 on the scouting scale at times. His main focus since has been developing a changeup, which now rates average and shows flashes of being better than that. Floyd works hard at improving his skills and shows above-average makeup.

Weaknesses: A longtime fan of Kevin Millwood, Floyd tried to emulate his idol’s deliberate delivery after watching him in spring training. It cost Floyd his rhythm and deceptiveness, and it took a month to remedy the problem. He was as good as ever thereafter before developing a tired arm late in the season. He must continue to hone his location and ability to repeat pitches, but he’s still ahead of most pitchers his age.

The Future: Floyd’s development is right on track. He'll move up to Double-A in 2004, and the pitching depth in the organization means the Phillies won't have to rush him.
hybrid

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:55 pm

Hamels is a little more pollished right now but I'd take Floyd in the long term. He has more potential to be that ace of a staff.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby justinA » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:15 pm

gavin will be a monster or at the least has the potential to be. He and Teixiera both went to school around my area, Mt. St. Joes in Bmore, great school for possible prospects. Always the 1 or 2 team in the state and they just have a great rep for a great baseball program so i think ima pay a little more attention to their season this spring.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:27 pm

more polished? i guess if you mean by pitchability but Floyd has had 3 times as many innings pitched as hamels has. I think Hamels got the nod because his numbers were incredible at Low A (0.84 era 74.2 IP 115K's) and it never hurts to be a lefty pitcher. Not to mention in his small stint in Hi-A his numbers were still better then Floyd though he has had less experience. But in any case you could make a arguement for either and i'm not saying Floyd isn't better or not. Just saying why I think Hamels deserved to be #1 on the list. Floyd could easily start to dominate this year, his raw stuff is that good.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:31 pm

WOW, thanks guys. This is why I love the cafe. I feel he should be the best man in my wedding after how much I just learned about him in a short amount of time.

I have tentatively been offered Kearns straight up for him, still wondering about that one, but now know to dissregard all the other offers as selling my future a little too short.

Thanks again guys ;-D .
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GUINNESS » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:30 am

..got to enjoy both Floyd and Hamels as Lakewood BlueClaws....nice having a team nearby(10 minutes away)..
GUINNESS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MikeeDee » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:44 pm

Bukoski77 wrote:WOW, thanks guys. This is why I love the cafe. I feel he should be the best man in my wedding after how much I just learned about him in a short amount of time.

I have tentatively been offered Kearns straight up for him, still wondering about that one, but now know to dissregard all the other offers as selling my future a little too short.

Thanks again guys ;-D .

A prospect's a prospect (read: major concern), if Floyd pans out he might be #1 starter in 2007 and a good one in 2006. Kearns showed last year, before he got injured, that he could be a top tier of'er fast. He also plays in a minuture park. I'd take that offer and run with it. Pitching prospects are very hard to predict.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:21 am

MikeeDee wrote:
Bukoski77 wrote:WOW, thanks guys. This is why I love the cafe. I feel he should be the best man in my wedding after how much I just learned about him in a short amount of time.

Thanks again guys ;-D .

A prospect's a prospect (read: major concern), if Floyd pans out he might be #1 starter in 2007 and a good one in 2006. Kearns showed last year, before he got injured, that he could be a top tier of'er fast. He also plays in a minuture park. I'd take that offer and run with it. Pitching prospects are very hard to predict.

4 hitters and 4 pitchers kept. I'm looking to aquire a good young hitter but his injury history has me concerned as we can only keep 4. Guys in our minor league slots dont count against the keeper limit, otherwise I would have jumped all over that deal already.
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers