Dukes must go-NOW! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Dukes must go-NOW!

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Re: Dukes must go-NOW!

Postby scr » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:35 pm

I called Robbie Neyer on his comments on his latest trash job. He wasn't so happy-

Rob Neyer (6/22/2007 at 3:37 PM)
Dear Mr. @@@@: You've now devoted at least 800 words to accusing me and the St. Pete Times of racism. Unfortunately, you've not devoted any of those 800+ words to providing any actual specifics. Dukes obviously is an emotional wreck, nowhere near having grown up as a human being. More substantively, in this context, he's a huge distraction for an organization that's trying to build a winning roster. If you think the reporters in the Tampa Bay area are wrong, and you choose to post many comments on the subject, the least you could do is offer some evidence. You don't need to tell us how courageous you are; that's glaringly obvious.

Here's my response:

Dear Mr. Neyer:

Sorry to be late to this one, but left town at 3:00 Friday. Just got back to the lovely response.

Before I throw some specifics out there that you should be privy to regarding Elijah Dukes, let me just say that I find it really difficult to justify calling anyone a "borderline psychopath" and that the "the guy will probably end up in jail in four years" without ever bothering to seek out the person's responses to the allegations brought out. You are a writer in a national column, and as such your words are very powerful. Accordingly, your opinions regarding Mr. Dukes are, at a minimum, extremely irresponsible. You are a writer on a national stage, and if Dukes should be held to some sort of higher standard because he is a ballplayer, then sir, so should you. By the way, love how you jumped on the "courageous" comment.

The picture painted regarding Mr. Dukes-and I believed you used the word "thug" in a previous column, is of the big bad balck man in the ghetto-which preys on peoples subconsious, latent racism. Judging by the numerous, vulger responses by the residents of Tampa, and some responses on your thread, this imagery is playing to such racism. Again, I believe, since your words have prompted such responses, it is reasonable for you to be accountable for the unintended consequences of such irresponsible remarks.

With respect to specifics and Mr. Dukes:

Here's a newsflash for you, sir-Dukes never threatened his wife. According to my sources, sir, Dukes was leaving a message for the his wife's boyfriend. That's right, Mr. Neyer-Duke's wife was cheating on him and he was upset. He left that message for the other man-the man who was sleeping with Mr. Duke's wife.

I don't know about you, sir, but if someone were sleeping with my wife, I think I'd be a little p.o.ed myself.

Why have you not printed such a possibility. My God, if I could ascertain the other side to a story, you absolutely should have been all over this. Unless you chose intentionally to look the other way to the other side of the story.

Did you listen to the radio broadcast of Mr. Dukes telling his side of the story? I have to believe you must have, as you decided to reference the broadcast in your column. What I distinctly heard was an individual who was upset at an entire month of article after article painting him a spousal abuser, and then calling his mother a crack addict.

Are you telling your audience you would not be upset at such accusations, when they are false? C'mon, Mr. Neyer, that can't be true. Why did you not bother writing about how the guy may have been painted wrongly in this picture. Why did you not write that the guy is hurting-as any father would-if his kids were taken away from him? Why did you not write that by all accounts outside his wife who is filing for divorce-that Dukes is an excellent father. Maybe because being an excellent father would diametrically oppose your position that Dukes is "borderline psychotic".

Why did you not write that Mrs. Dukes is requesting child support amounting to 99% of Mr. Dukes' income?

There is very clearly another side to this story. Your writings have glaringly ommitted them. Sir, if I can find out the "other side", then you could not have been looking very hard to find it. Accordingly, your comments, in my view, were irresponsible, harsh, and have added to the fuel of hatred for this person-which has now cost him his job.

I cannot fathom how you can sleep at night after contributing to this players' downfall-without once trying to find any answers. Mr. Duke's five kids-victims in this sad story-obviously weren't people you considered when you wrote such ugly things.

As a journalist, sir, your readers should require that you print both sides-or at least bother to consider them.

Mr. Dukes is now unemployed. I certainly hope this makes your day.

Did I say enough?
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Excellent response scr. ;D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 pm

raiders-

I had another post after being excoriated. Legit post, nothing inflammatory, but the folks at ESPN took it down. I am now being accused of "whitening my words" (I guess to sound like a white guy), and am part of the "Dukes posse" that has an agenda. The irony is I AM a "white guy"! What a joke. I guess you can disagree, but not when you make Robbie look bad. Then they just eliminate your posts, and call you names. Nice.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:27 pm

scr wrote:raiders-

I had another post after being excoriated. Legit post, nothing inflammatory, but the folks at ESPN took it down. I am now being accused of "whitening my words" (I guess to sound like a white guy), and am part of the "Dukes posse" that has an agenda. The irony is I AM a "white guy"! What a joke. I guess you can disagree, but not when you make Robbie look bad. Then they just eliminate your posts, and call you names. Nice.

You are kidding right?

ESPN sucks, they only put out what they want to. :t

Nice job SCR
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Very interesting thing in the SPT, didnt know if u guys saw.

The headline in the paper on Saturday in the sports section was no guts or glory. Ramano went on to rip the organization for Dukes situation. Stu responded with this:

Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has heard the court of public opinion and knows there would be hardly a complaint should the team release Elijah Dukes. On Saturday he explained why that approach has not happened -- yet.

Sternberg even admitted that it is not likely Dukes will be able to rehabilitate himself off the field. But he is at least being given the chance to.

On Friday the team announced he has been taken off the 40-man roster. Rather than outright release the troubled outfielder Tampa Bay sent Dukes to Class A Vero Beach and then placed him on the temporarily inactive list.

Friday's decision amounts to a "one last chance" for Dukes to either get his life in order, or be released from the organization. Dukes will be getting paid while getting counselling.

"It's possible. It is likely? No," Sternberg said when asked if Dukes will be able to work out his problems. A big reason the team is trying to help Dukes, Sternberg said, is that the player finally has reached out for that help.

"Elijah relizes he needs some help and he appreciates the Rays giving him the opportunity to get it," said Dukes' agent Scott Pucino in Saturday's Tampa Tribune.

The Rays brought up Dustan Mohr to take Dukes' spot. Dukes had not played in more than a week despite being healthy.

Before Friday's game with the Dodgers the Rays held a closed-door meeting. Manager Joe Maddon said Dukes was not really discussed

"We didn't talk about him at all," Maddon said. "We're going to keep advancing forward. I just talked to the players about things, for instance, when you look at our record right now, if we had just done a couple other things properly that record would actually be reversed. I wanted to do it now because I believe we're a lot closer than a lot of people realize."

On sunday Romano went on to praise the organziation for there move and how they have handled themselves, basically going backwards from the day before. Interesting, i wonder if someone said something to him
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:02 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
scr wrote:raiders-

You are kidding right?

ESPN sucks, they only put out what they want to. :t

Nice job SCR

Thanks, deerayfan, but I'm not kidding.

The Dukes situation is the sad reality of today's media. They-the Robbie Neyer's & the SPT's of the world ruined an already troubled man. Ate him up & spit him out. Adam, you've met Dukes. He is clearly no match for these folks.

I don't believe Romano got a talking to. He figured out that his end goal-to destroy Elijah Dukes-was accomplished given Stu's comments on Saturday. Romano and the SPT got what they wanted. Time to move on.

Wouldn't it be great if Elijah came back someday to be the person and player I think he is...
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:36 pm

scr wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if Elijah came back someday to be the person and player I think he is...

I am going to be rooting for him. I don't think he can ever become a superstar as I think Mr. Upton takes that position on our team, but I do think Dukes could become a Torii Hunter type player that is very valuable.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:44 am

Described as defiant and having to be ordered by a judge to stay quiet, Dukes on Monday was ordered to pay nearly $6,000 a month to Nishea Dukes, his soon-to-be ex wife.

The Tampa Tribune reported that Dukes had to be reminded several times by judge Kevin Carey to remain quiet.

Oh and another thing: Dukes smokes pot, maybe every day. He admitted to marijuana use under oath.

Dukes must pay Nishea $3,300 a month in alimony and another $2,800 in support for two kids.

In addition, the Tribune reports, Dukes must submit to random tests for marijuana use and a drug evaluation -- Nishea Dukes reportedly thinks he is on steroids.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:26 pm

7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:52 pm

chadlincoln wrote:http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=569

Dukes reinstated by the team.

About time. I am still rooting for you Dukes. ;-D
raiders_umpire

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays