Dukes must go-NOW! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Dukes must go-NOW!

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Re: Dukes must go-NOW!

Postby scr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:46 am

Robbie Neyer, ESPN's national baseball columnist, is at it again. Called Dukes a "borderline psychopath"., and projecting Dukes will be in jail in four years...

Neyer is getting all his info from his boys at the Slant Pete Times-taking it to a national stage-and giving the SPT trash legitimacy by throwing his less then two cents in:

Devil Rays should release Dukes
posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

If I were a Devil Rays fan [You mean you're not?-- ed. Only late at night, when everybody else is sleeping], there would be a lot of things to smile about. Oh, except for the bullpen, which blew a 7-1 lead last night. And Elijah Dukes, who's stepped in it again, calling a radio show to complain about various things.

And as Marc Lancaster writes, obviously the Devil Rays are getting frustrated ...

Dukes apparently has told team officials in recent weeks that he knows he probably would be better off playing somewhere other than his hometown. Of course, any trade would be contingent on another team being willing to take a chance on him and give up something of value. But if Dukes is simply released, he is talented enough that one of the other 29 organizations surely would risk signing him -- keeping in mind that he still can be optioned back to the minors this season.

The Rays could take that route themselves, but Dukes probably would not receive a warm welcome in Triple-A Durham after the difficulties he had there last season, when he was suspended five times. And if he remains in the organization, out of sight would not equal out of mind.

One key number that nobody seems to be noticing: .190.

That is Dukes' batting average. In 52 games, he's batting .190 with 44 strikeouts. Obviously, there are some things to like, too. He's hit 10 homers and drawn 33 walks, and given enough at-bats he certainly is not a .190 hitter. But can a young team trying to build a winning atmosphere really devote a precious roster spot to a borderline psychopath who's batting .190?

I don't think so. Dukes turns 23 next week, and if he were simply a Strat-O-Matic card in a keeper league, you'd love to have him. But he's not a flimsy piece of card stock. He's an emotionally troubled man, and he's going to bring little but headaches and heartaches to whichever team gives him a uniform. My guess is that in three or four years, Dukes will be serving time somewhere. Whether it's in prison or in some obscure independent league, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess.

Here's a guess, though: When the Devil Rays are ready to win, Elijah Dukes won't be a component in the formula. So why delay the inevitable? This organization has done some good things lately, but management has also displayed an odd tendency to ignore the obvious.

I wonder if Robbie will do a national columne on the SPT "journalist" who just got jammed up for a DUI?

Nah..don't think so...the media stick together when crucifying someone.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:56 am

Love the shot at Rays fans in general. Another reasont o hate ESPN
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:16 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Love the shot at Rays fans in general. Another reasont o hate ESPN

This is a really frightening story-to see how the media can take anyone out, at any time, without accountability. They feast on the vulnerable.

I'll just say a prayer that Dukes is able to survive this.

Screw Neyer-the Rays are arguably the most exciting team in MLB this year-middle relief just adds a little extra suspense to each game! ;D ;D ;D
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:17 am

scr wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Love the shot at Rays fans in general. Another reasont o hate ESPN

This is a really frightening story-to see how the media can take anyone out, at any time, without accountability. They feast on the vulnerable.

I'll just say a prayer that Dukes is able to survive this.

Screw Neyer-the Rays are arguably the most exciting team in MLB this year-middle relief just adds a little extra suspense to each game! ;D ;D ;D

keeps ya watching doesnt it ;) :b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:53 pm

Neyer just plains sucks.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:27 pm

If we Trade or release Dukes and with Rocco being gone for 4-8 weeks more, they may call up Justin Ruggiano
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Dukes is off the roster. Not sure if he was traded or released, but he is off the roster and Dustin Mohr has been called up to take his place
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:48 pm

I will update as soon as i hear something
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:34 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Dukes is off the roster. Not sure if he was traded or released, but he is off the roster and Dustin Mohr has been called up to take his place

What a sad day for the Devil Rays organization. Friedman basically just let this kid get run out of town. I am extremely dissapointed in the DRFO for not standing up for this kid more. He may not have been a huge key to our future success, but he definitely had a part either by taking over a OF spot or being a key ingredient in a trade. But now alas due to the Times, the most we will probably get for him is a journey man who is not anything better then what we have in Tampa right now. I will still hold out a bit of hope that maybe there is more to this story that I don't know yet that basically left the Drays no choice, because I "really" want to like Friedman and gang. Hopefully everything works out for one Elijah Dukes in the future, as I know I will be rooting for him as long as he does not end up with a New York uniform on. :-°
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:48 am

Anyone catch the hose job in todays SPT? Front page of sports section reads "No Guts or Glory" than good ole John Ramano wrote a piece ripping into the rays organization. Classy, Classy paper ;7
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays