Dukes must go-NOW! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Dukes must go-NOW!

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Re: Dukes must go-NOW!

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:41 pm

deerayfan072 wrote: I honestly believe that the Rays are tired of the bad publicity, which is not Elijahs fault as much as it is the medias, but they may have no choice but to trade him. I think that it will be better for him to get out of this area, for his sake and his families sake. I think that the Rays have no choice becuase the media has jumoed on him and i do not think they will stop until he is gone, which puts the Rays in a hard spot

This is where I disagree. The Devil Rays can handle the media. Shut them out of the freaking ballpark. Friedman should tell the Times where to stick it. Hell most people probably have not noticed, but we have a pretty competitive baseball team this year. We are a little under .500, but with any kind of pen at all and we could possibly be 3 or 4 games over .500. There are plenty of positive things to write about with this Devil Ray team, and of course just like all teams there are some negatives to write about as well, so Friedman should really put the Times in their place. In other words, Just Leave Dukes alone. Let him play ball, and quit force feeding this crap down our throats >:# about how many kids he has. :-°
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:53 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote: I honestly believe that the Rays are tired of the bad publicity, which is not Elijahs fault as much as it is the medias, but they may have no choice but to trade him. I think that it will be better for him to get out of this area, for his sake and his families sake. I think that the Rays have no choice becuase the media has jumoed on him and i do not think they will stop until he is gone, which puts the Rays in a hard spot

This is where I disagree. The Devil Rays can handle the media. Shut them out of the freaking ballpark. Friedman should tell the Times where to stick it. Hell most people probably have not noticed, but we have a pretty competitive baseball team this year. We are a little under .500, but with any kind of pen at all and we could possibly be 3 or 4 games over .500. There are plenty of positive things to write about with this Devil Ray team, and of course just like all teams there are some negatives to write about as well, so Friedman should really put the Times in their place. In other words, Just Leave Dukes alone. Let him play ball, and quit force feeding this crap down our throats >:# about how many kids he has. :-°

While i agree, if u shut them out they will still print the story, the stuff they getting is not coming anywhere from the ballpark :/
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:19 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:

Great post, raiders. I couldn't agree more.

Adam, the DFO has been reactive regarding this whole situation. It's about time they become proactive.

How did the DFO like being misquoted? Because now they are only experiencing a tiny piece of the horror that Dukes must endure every single day by these slime that masquerade as journalists at the SPT.

It would appear from the outside that the DFO is so afraid of the press-specifically the SPT- that they are willing to lose assets-which translates into lost revenues and lost equity for the entire organization-to placate the tabloid trash known as the St. Petersberg Times.

Here is what the DFO can due to stop this crap once and for all:

Hold a press conference-invite all of the media-not just the SPT.

The scope of the press conference would be to list-chronologically-every single slanted piece of slanted, biased, inaccurate, racist, "articles" masking as "journalism.

The DFO would, at this press conference, show clearly a pattern of racist laced, hate provoked responses. You need look no further than the "talk back" section of the online edition to see where I am coming from. Incorporated into the press conference, the DFO would show clearly where the SPT failed-on every single occasion-to disclose the entire story, while generating racist, hate filled responses from their readers.

The DFO can clearly show, at this press conference-look no further than the tape of the Duke's interview and how the SPT portrayed the interview (they know the majority of readers will not bother to listen to the poscast-and the few that did only focused on his speech). Then the DFO can clearly show how they, themselves were misquoted and slanted in today's edition of the Slander Pete Times.

The DFO can announce, on a national basis, that based on the racist agenda of the SPT, and their conduct regarding misquoting the DFO, that they are suspending the following individuals from their clubhouse:
Romano
Shelton
Topkin

The DFO would then announce an immediate revocation of the paper distribution at the ballpark.

The DFO would then call for a state-wide boycott of the St. Petersberg Times-to the readers and to the advertisers of the paper.

The DFO could call upon the leaders of tha NAACP to stand side by side during this press conference.

This press conference and press release would generate national attention to the reckless journalism at the SPT-which would inevitably lead to a crushing blow to their advertising revenues.

And, as you know, being politically correct means exposing racism at all levels.

You may think this is harsh, but I would tell you that in the long run, the SPT needs to be put down before they decide to run the next potential superstar out of town with their lies, slants & biases.

The SPT is bad for business-it's as simple as that. Hopefully, Stu & Andrew will finally put their feet down and see the light. >:#
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

SCR - while i agree with what you are saying you know the power of the media. If the Rays do this, they will look bad nationally and every other newspaper and media outlet will be all over them for it, you have to know that. I agree, they should tell them that they cannot sell or give away there paper at the trop. Also like i said to Raiders, the sad part is that they are not getting any of there info from there writers that cover the Rays at the ball park, its coming from people who listen to Nieshas side or others that Tip them off. :/
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:58 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:SCR - while i agree with what you are saying you know the power of the media. If the Rays do this, they will look bad nationally and every other newspaper and media outlet will be all over them for it, you have to know that. I agree, they should tell them that they cannot sell or give away there paper at the trop. Also like i said to Raiders, the sad part is that they are not getting any of there info from there writers that cover the Rays at the ball park, its coming from people who listen to Nieshas side or others that Tip them off. :/

Adam, I respect your positon, but I can completely disagree with the expected results of such a press conference.

When you expose racism you are always-always politically correct, and thereby will receive national sympathy while casting shame on the Slander Pete Times. Who (outside of a defensive Slander Pete Times) on God's Green Earth would slam the DFO and representatives of the NAACP for exposing racism?

The Slander Pete Times has portrayed Dukes as a "thug from the hood", the sterotypical african american thug. Did you notice how they carefully pulled the best ghetto-slang quotes they could from the podcast?

Did you notice how many folks responded in a racist manner to their article?

Did you notice how, instead of headlining with the word "upset"-the Slander Pete Times used the word "angry"-over and over again.

They have an agenda to run the "ghetto kid" out of town-continually perpetuating and playing on the fear of the stereotype of the "bad angry black man", conjuring up images from our subconscious that elicit racist remarks from their readers.

There is a clear agenda here. After being screwed today by the Slander Pete Times, the DFO should be well aware of this.

When does it stop, Adam? Bullies don't stop until you punch them right in the face. Bringing national attention to the slanted reporting preying on people's latent racist attitudes is always the right thing to do.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:06 pm

SCR- you know we are on the same side, but i can tell you people have already made up there mind around here and that is sad. Dukes is guilty in everyones mind. If they come out like you are suggesting it won't change anyones mind, they will just think that the Rays are sticking up for a player b/c they want him on the team, trust me i have heard it from others. There is a reason the Rays have had to stay quiet about a lot of things. The Rays have put out feelers on what would happen if they were to do certain things and it has not looked good. While it may cast a shadow on the SPT, it will change no ones mind. What needs to happen is we need to trade him to another city and let the man start his life over and stop having his family and their business and lives played out in front of the masses.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:SCR- you know we are on the same side, but i can tell you people have already made up there mind around here and that is sad. Dukes is guilty in everyones mind. If they come out like you are suggesting it won't change anyones mind, they will just think that the Rays are sticking up for a player b/c they want him on the team, trust me i have heard it from others. There is a reason the Rays have had to stay quiet about a lot of things. The Rays have put out feelers on what would happen if they were to do certain things and it has not looked good. While it may cast a shadow on the SPT, it will change no ones mind. What needs to happen is we need to trade him to another city and let the man start his life over and stop having his family and their business and lives played out in front of the masses.

The larger picture here is not Elijah Dukes-as truly sad as his case is. In my view, the larger picture here is that the Slander Pete Times is literally dictating the fate of a major league baseball team-one player at a time.

What happens the next time Delmon passes wind in the direction of the paper-or-God forbid-BJ gets caught smoking a cigarette? You can bet the ranch those two kids are the next targets of that trash paper. Mark my words, they will get run out of town next. It's only a matter of time.

The DFO has a right to dictate it's future. Sure, it's a risk to go after the SPT, but if the DFO wants to control their own destiny, they can-and should-stand up to these mob inciting jerks.

The Dukes matter, IMHO, has much more to do with racial undercurrents than most people have thought of-which is why I believe Delmon and BJ are next. It's disturbing and has no place in professional baseball today. I am aware that the topic of racism is a very delicate one. Respectfully I would not bring it up if I did not believe to the core that it is a very real issue in the Dukes matter.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Totally agree there is raical undertones going on, you can hear it on the radio in peoples opinons and on the street. it is very very sad :,(
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:01 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Totally agree there is raical undertones going on, you can hear it on the radio in peoples opinons and on the street. it is very very sad :,(

Do you really think CC will re-sign when his contract is up if the DFO doesn't address the racial undertones of this situation-again with the Slander Pete Times inciting the mob with their articles? Do you think Delmon or BJ will stick around when they get the opportunity to bolt?

Do you really think free agent black athletes would ever consider signing with the Devil Rays after this circus? The Slander Pete Times continues lighting the match to fuel the mob.

So unless the DFO figures to trot out an all white team in about six years, it's probably prudent to show mlb and their fans that they won't stand for this.

Like I said before, Adam, Elijah Dukes is not the big picture. In many respects, it's the Devil Rays Franchise and it's survival in Tampa that can arguably be brought into the scope of this discussion.

BTW, there was a fellow over in Germany who rose to prominence in the thirties that scared the bejesus out of anybody that stood up to him. Many countries were afraid to take on this guy, so they left him alone to do his form of racist/ethnic cleansing on the condition that the guy wouldn't attack.

We all know how well appeasing that fellow went.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:05 am

The SPT have an article about the Dukes family on the front page. Did not get to read it, but it looks to be a good article about the family. It does look like Dukes will be traded soon.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Tampa Bay Rays