Lights Out, Guerilla Radio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Lights Out, Guerilla Radio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lights Out, Guerilla Radio

Postby Coppermine » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:51 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/ ... 3797.shtml

In a perfect world, there'd be no wires. They clutter the view, get tangled behind desks and limit how far networks can reach. That's why the telegraph gave way to the radio. Cell phones unstrung telecommunications. Wi-Fi liberated computer data.

Now even the last knotty wire that seemed destined to remain — the power cord — could be on its way out.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers announced Thursday they had made a 60-watt light bulb glow by sending it energy wirelessly, potentially previewing a future in which cell phones and other gadgets get juice without having to be plugged in.

"If you had a mobile phone, you wouldn't need a charger. It would just charge automatically," commented British physicist Peter Main of the University of York.

The breakthrough, disclosed in Science Express, an online publication of the journal Science, is being called "WiTricity" by the scientists.

The concept of sending power wirelessly isn't new, but its wide-scale use has been dismissed as inefficient because electromagnetic energy generated by the charging device would radiate in all directions.

Last fall, though, MIT physics professor Marin Soljacic (pronounced soul-ya-CHEECH) explained how to do the power transfer with specially tuned waves. The key is to get the charging device and a gadget to resonate at the same frequency — allowing them to efficiently exchange energy.

It's similar to how an opera star can break a wine glass that happens to resonate at the same frequency as her voice. In fact, the concept is so basic in physics that inventor Nikola Tesla sought a century ago to build a huge tower on Long Island that would wirelessly beam power along with communications.

The new step described in Science was that the MIT team put the concept into action. The scientists lit a 60-watt bulb that was 7 feet away from the power-generating appliance.

"It was quite exciting," Soljacic said. The process is "very reproducible," he added. "We can just go to the lab and do it whenever we want."

The development raises the prospect that we might eliminate some of the clutter of cables in our ever-more electronic world. Is that necessarily a good thing? Soljacic acknowledged "that it's far from obvious how crucial people will find this."

But at least one benefit could be that if devices can get their power through the air, they might not need batteries and their attendant toxic chemicals.

Before that can happen, the technology has a ways to go.

The MIT system is about 40 percent to 45 percent efficient — meaning that most of the energy from the charging device doesn't make it to the light bulb. Soljacic believes it needs to become twice as efficient to be on par with the old-fashioned way portable gadgets get their batteries charged.

Also, the copper coils that relay the power are almost 2 feet wide for now — too big to be feasible for, say, laptops. And the 7-foot range of this wireless handoff could be increased — presumably so that one charging device could automatically power all the gadgets in a room.

Soljacic believes all those improvements are within reach. The next step is to fire up more than just light bulbs, perhaps a Roomba robotic vacuum or a laptop.

The MIT team stresses that the "magnetic coupling" process involved in WiTricity is safe on humans and other living things. And in the initial experiments on the light bulb, nothing bad happened to the cell phones, electronic equipment and credit cards in the room — though more research on that is needed.

The harmlessness apparently extends both ways: The researchers noted that putting people and other things between the coils — even when they block the line of sight — generally has no effect on the power transfer.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lights Out, Guerilla Radio

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:58 pm

I've had Guerilla Radio stuck in my head over the last few days. !+)

But yeah I heard about this cordless thing at MIT a few days ago. Pretty cool.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:11 am

Just by reading the title of the thread, I thought the RATM reference alluded to Internet radio licensing fees spiking up, threatening the financial health of Pandora or Last.FM. :-b

I'd definitely like to see how this technology pans out with further improvements. ;D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:58 am

8-) the world of technology is beginning to scare me i think

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:22 am

I am not sure I want my cell phone charging while it is near my skull, or in my umm .. pocket.
That is two areas I would prefer not to have electrical currents being aimed at. :o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:37 am

Snakes Gould wrote:8-) the world of technology is beginning to scare me i think

Google knows more about you than you do yourself, but electricity going through the air frightens you?

:?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:19 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Just by reading the title of the thread, I thought the RATM reference alluded to Internet radio licensing fees spiking up, threatening the financial health of Pandora or Last.FM. :-b

I'd definitely like to see how this technology pans out with further improvements. ;D

That, my friend, is a much sadder story. I use both the awesomeness of Pandora's music genome project and the audioscrobbling capabilities of Last.fm.

I guess Internet radio is just a series of tubes.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:02 am

It's nice that they're finally catching up with some of the work Tesla was doing a hundred years ago.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:It's nice that they're finally catching up with some of the work Tesla was doing a hundred years ago.

I wanna get me some ground lightbulbs.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:40 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:8-) the world of technology is beginning to scare me i think

Google knows more about you than you do yourself, but electricity going through the air frightens you?

:?

i didnt mean just this story, i mean everything. google and this %6

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk