How Many of You Use Salaries?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How Many of You Use Salaries??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:38 pm

we don't use an auction because it's too much trouble and We use yahoo
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:47 pm

Subversive wrote:The league I am in (Willy Nelson, baybee) is a 16 team league (entire MLB), using a $260 salary cap, with 23 man rosters, same as the old rotisserie style leagues. We have a keeper structure where you can keep up to 5 players per year, at a salary increase of $2 or 10% rounded up, whichever is greater. No player can be kept more than 4 years. Free agents picked up during the season are considered to have a salary of $10. We get together over a weekend in March for an online auction in IRC (last year the auction took 9 hours! this year we are doing it over 2 days), then input the teams into yahoo for scoring, using 5x5 categories. We also have our own message board where we post trades, drops, adds, etc, to help keep it all organized.

nice ;-D

very similar to ours, except waiver pickups start at $2. :-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Subversive » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:36 am

We also only allow 5 'unforced' transactions per season per team (trades do not cost a transaction, nor do injuries or minor league demotions). Which is why we set the FA price so high. If anyone is willing to burn one of their precious transactions to pick a guy up, he better be worth at least $10 ($12 to keep next year). :)
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ondeckb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:47 am

kcbelieves wrote:
jbird669 wrote:Cornbread, totally cool comment. I wasn't going for that angle, I was asking more out of curiosity, but you made an excellent point. We just became a keeper league three yrs ago, and we had salaries before that. Just so you know.
Mikecou, I am in a draft league, not an auction, and we have salaries.
The reason we do it is because it tests your commitment and savvy, and makes it more challenging. It also prevents owners that aren't that savvy from getting stuck with chumps because someone preys on their baseball ignorance. And since we use USA TODAY'S BASEBALL WEEKLY as our official salary guide, we know someone cannot load up on stars since they cannot afford to. It levels the field out and makes you pay attention all year long.

So are you sying you use a salary cap....the league I am starting is trying to make it as real as MLB....where its all auction and you bid ACTUAL money on the players you want (high bid wins) and when it coems to FA...we always run a FAAB and the commish is caretaker of the money and at the end of the year, the league winner gets a hefty prize.

We arent talking a ton of money but the league winner might get 3-4 K if they win the thing....

Talk about real, man thats as real as it gets....we dont use a salary cap till MLB gets one.

Our NFL league uses a salary cap based on NFL rules, so its less risk involved.

I can see this new league I am in being very cut throat to say the least lol

Yikes....so if you have some guys who can afford to throw around some money, and some guys who are on a tight budget, you'd have the same inequities we have in the major league game. Kinda puts the plight of Major League Baseball in perspective, doesn't it? :-?
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:27 pm

I grew tired of salary leagues. Makes things too complicated and even impossible to field the best team possible.

For example, a few year's ago I was in an auction league and had what it would take to get Arod. Problem was that the "not so intelligent" person that had him, bid him up to around $65. Needless to say that I didn't want him at that price, but to put him on my team that's what it would have cost. I didn't do it and I feel it takes away from the game.

I prefer to be like the real MLB and not have a salary cap. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jbird669 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:13 pm

ondeckb wrote:
kcbelieves wrote:
jbird669 wrote:Cornbread, totally cool comment. I wasn't going for that angle, I was asking more out of curiosity, but you made an excellent point. We just became a keeper league three yrs ago, and we had salaries before that. Just so you know.
Mikecou, I am in a draft league, not an auction, and we have salaries.
The reason we do it is because it tests your commitment and savvy, and makes it more challenging. It also prevents owners that aren't that savvy from getting stuck with chumps because someone preys on their baseball ignorance. And since we use USA TODAY'S BASEBALL WEEKLY as our official salary guide, we know someone cannot load up on stars since they cannot afford to. It levels the field out and makes you pay attention all year long.

So are you sying you use a salary cap....the league I am starting is trying to make it as real as MLB....where its all auction and you bid ACTUAL money on the players you want (high bid wins) and when it coems to FA...we always run a FAAB and the commish is caretaker of the money and at the end of the year, the league winner gets a hefty prize.

We arent talking a ton of money but the league winner might get 3-4 K if they win the thing....

Talk about real, man thats as real as it gets....we dont use a salary cap till MLB gets one.

Our NFL league uses a salary cap based on NFL rules, so its less risk involved.

I can see this new league I am in being very cut throat to say the least lol

Yikes....so if you have some guys who can afford to throw around some money, and some guys who are on a tight budget, you'd have the same inequities we have in the major league game. Kinda puts the plight of Major League Baseball in perspective, doesn't it? :-?

No sir, everyone starts out at $290 with 5 keeper picks. It tests your baseball knowledge and forces you to prepare. It also keep ppl interested because if they do research and make the right moves, they will have a great team that will win them a portion of the prize $$$. If they don't have money to throw around, they either have a team with high priced stars they are happy with or they didn't budget properly. We also have a system in place that controls things whereas they have to draft a complete team and have certain roster requirements in place, otherwise they will get no stats and finish last.
IMO, I don't see how anyone can play without salaries. If you have 2 guys that are baseball nuts and go ape$&%^ at the draft, and have all superstars, and the rest of the league is baseball-ignorant and picks a real bad team, not only is it not fun, but not challenging.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers