How Many of You Use Salaries?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How Many of You Use Salaries??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Many of You Use Salaries??

Postby jbird669 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:56 pm

Hello everyone.
A lot of times I come into the forum and see posts, and every question I answered I always include "depends on the salary." I'd say about 60% of the answers to my reply are "We don't use salaries."
So my question to you all is: How many of you use salaries?
IF NO: Why not? - if you're in a Yahoo! League, it is my understanding that Yahoo doesn't have salaries, but I've never played in one, so I will know why if you answer that way.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:07 pm

Completely agree with what you are saying. Contracts obviously have no place in yr to yr leagues like Yahoo, but in Dynasty or Keeper leagues, how can you not have salaries and contracts?

Getting Pujols for $2 from his rookie yr is great, but it shouldnt be 5-6 yrs great - thats absurd. If the objective for those type of leagues is to be as close to running a real baseball team as possible, then there is no way a team should be able to keep the Pujols type players indefinietly for next to nothing.

Assigning contract lengths to your players is essential in keeper and dynasty leagues.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How Many of You Use Salaries??

Postby mikcou » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:11 pm

jbird669 wrote:Hello everyone.
A lot of times I come into the forum and see posts, and every question I answered I always include "depends on the salary." I'd say about 60% of the answers to my reply are "We don't use salaries."
IF NO: Why not? - if you're in a Yahoo! League, it is my understanding that Yahoo doesn't have salaries, but I've never played in one, so I will know why if you answer that way.

If you are doing a draft and not an auction most likely the league will not have salaries
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jbird669 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:39 pm

Cornbread, totally cool comment. I wasn't going for that angle, I was asking more out of curiosity, but you made an excellent point. We just became a keeper league three yrs ago, and we had salaries before that. Just so you know.
Mikecou, I am in a draft league, not an auction, and we have salaries.
The reason we do it is because it tests your commitment and savvy, and makes it more challenging. It also prevents owners that aren't that savvy from getting stuck with chumps because someone preys on their baseball ignorance. And since we use USA TODAY'S BASEBALL WEEKLY as our official salary guide, we know someone cannot load up on stars since they cannot afford to. It levels the field out and makes you pay attention all year long.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:26 pm

jbird669 wrote:Cornbread, totally cool comment. I wasn't going for that angle, I was asking more out of curiosity, but you made an excellent point. We just became a keeper league three yrs ago, and we had salaries before that. Just so you know.
Mikecou, I am in a draft league, not an auction, and we have salaries.
The reason we do it is because it tests your commitment and savvy, and makes it more challenging. It also prevents owners that aren't that savvy from getting stuck with chumps because someone preys on their baseball ignorance. And since we use USA TODAY'S BASEBALL WEEKLY as our official salary guide, we know someone cannot load up on stars since they cannot afford to. It levels the field out and makes you pay attention all year long.

So are you sying you use a salary cap....the league I am starting is trying to make it as real as MLB....where its all auction and you bid ACTUAL money on the players you want (high bid wins) and when it coems to FA...we always run a FAAB and the commish is caretaker of the money and at the end of the year, the league winner gets a hefty prize.

We arent talking a ton of money but the league winner might get 3-4 K if they win the thing....

Talk about real, man thats as real as it gets....we dont use a salary cap till MLB gets one.

Our NFL league uses a salary cap based on NFL rules, so its less risk involved.

I can see this new league I am in being very cut throat to say the least lol
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jbird669 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:03 pm

Yes we have a salary cap of $290, since we use set prices and draft format, no auction (takes too long). Some of the other owners's wives who graciously dontate their dining rooms/basements only give us a few hours.
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thaklanksta » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:13 pm

I am in a keeper league and we set a salary cap based on the average of the 10 highest paid players on each of the 10 teams.

Then each team must stay under that cap and turn in their protected list of players up to 10. Obviously there are teams over the avg (mostly the better teams) and teams below the avg (worse teams)

We dont use a draft salary cap because we dont have all day to do a draft.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby gagnerules » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:31 pm

My league is a straight draft no saleries keeper league. It's this way b/c since we cannot all get together on the same night for a draft so we have to use a messageboard making an auction draft imposible.
gagnerules
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Subversive » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:58 pm

The league I am in (Willy Nelson, baybee) is a 16 team league (entire MLB), using a $260 salary cap, with 23 man rosters, same as the old rotisserie style leagues. We have a keeper structure where you can keep up to 5 players per year, at a salary increase of $2 or 10% rounded up, whichever is greater. No player can be kept more than 4 years. Free agents picked up during the season are considered to have a salary of $10. We get together over a weekend in March for an online auction in IRC (last year the auction took 9 hours! this year we are doing it over 2 days), then input the teams into yahoo for scoring, using 5x5 categories. We also have our own message board where we post trades, drops, adds, etc, to help keep it all organized.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: How Many of You Use Salaries??

Postby justinA » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:59 pm

mikcou wrote:
jbird669 wrote:Hello everyone.

If you are doing a draft and not an auction most likely the league will not have salaries

most likely?? how would it be an "auction" if there werent money to bid?
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers