Sizemore vs. Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sizemore vs. Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sizemore vs. Reyes

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:01 am

Yoda wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:You are always going to find people who claim one player is vastly superior to another based on their own biases. But why don't you go back and look at that Hanley/Reyes thread. Most people claim it is VERY close.

See below:
activechamp2006 wrote:The difference here is.. With Reye's power it built up. The scouts always talked about how much power he had. In his first full season he showed a little bit of that with nine home runs, and then jumped up to 19. As for Hanley he just went straight to 17, with no indication he should be hitting that many home runs. If we're talking about who's going to be the better player it's really not an argument. Look at Jose Reye's protection. Even if he was to hit 250 he's still going to get 100+runs with 50+sbs. I mean come on now, look at who's hitting behind him. Hanley on the other hand, it seems as though he's going to have to do everything on his own. Besides Mcab Hanley has no help. Good luck with that one buddy ;-D

viewtopic.php?t=267480&hilit=hanley&start=80

Clearly biased towards Reyes. The numbers suggest that Sizemore and Hanley are better hitters in real life. And better fielders as well.

I think someone has a little crush on me. Going to all this work.. Should I feel special :?

Please refresh my memory. Since when is Hanley Ramirez a better fielder then Jose Reyes?
At best they are comprable.
Reyes' fielding % this season is .984. to go a long with 4 errors
Hanleys fielding % is .949. He also has the 2nd most errors in the league with 13.

In 2006.
Jose Reyes was at 17 errors to go a long with a fielding % of .971.
Hanley was 4th worst in the league with 26 errors. and a fielding % of .963.

Yeah, Hanley sure is a better fielder :o

As for Sizemore and Reyes you really can't compare fielding abilities, considering the position. Both have a great arm and are pretty equal in defensive ability. Both are a-top there positions this season.

I don't see a Sizemore/Reyes comparison as just.
To consider an outfielder over a SS with euqal abilities is outragous. Sizemore may have more power, but Reyes has more speed. Value wise, It will equal out. But when it's all said and done the deciding factor is always going to be the position they play. Unless you play in a league with ALL Utility players, position matters. To argue that an outfielder means more to a team then a ss is crazy. Play in a deep league and you will understand. The difference like I stated before, is Position scarcity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats ... ieldingPct
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:37 am

Yeah because fielding percentage is such a good way to measure a player's defensive capabilities.

Other than speed, there are no offensive categories that Reyes beats Sizemore in. But why let facts get in the way?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DevilDriver » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:24 pm

Yoda wrote:Other than speed, there are no offensive categories that Reyes beats Sizemore in. But why let facts get in the way?

They're two completely different players. Sizemore automatically takes most of the offensive cats because he has more power. Reyes is just as good if not better than Sizemore according to RC and Win Shares.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:53 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
Yoda wrote:Other than speed, there are no offensive categories that Reyes beats Sizemore in. But why let facts get in the way?

They're two completely different players. Sizemore automatically takes most of the offensive cats because he has more power. Reyes is just as good if not better than Sizemore according to RC and Win Shares.

Power = good. As I said, they are very close but Sizemore wins because he is a better hitter. Sizemore even beats Reyes in OBP.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:52 pm

2007:
AVG
Reyes .311
Sizemore .287

OBA
Reyes .082
Sizemore .118

ISO
Reyes .116
Sizemore .136

RC/27
Reyes 7.27
Sizemore 8.33

BB/K
Reyes 1.06
Sizemore 0.59

They've been very close. Depends on your stance on K's, as Grady's done quite a bit of that. He's also generally been more productive in most areas at the dish, though, too. Ooh, here's something interesting, too...

BRAA
Reyes 11.54
Sizemore 20.37

I'd say it's been Grady so far this season. Though again, it depends on how you consider K Rates as well as the counting number of SB, despite Sizemore's 90% success rate to Reyes' 80%, as well as how you figure defense into the picture.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:43 pm

Yoda wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:

Power = good. As I said, they are very close but Sizemore wins because he is a better hitter. Sizemore even beats Reyes in OBP.

that makes you sound like a child.

power=good

Sizemore isn't a better hitter. He may have more power, but he's not a better hitter.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:52 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:

that makes you sound like a child.

power=good

Sizemore isn't a better hitter. He may have more power, but he's not a better hitter.

You're going to need to back it up. Heck, I'm as big a Reyes and Mets fan as there is, but nearly every thing I look at this season points to Sizemore. If you think Reyes is or has been better, provide some sort of evidence at least. Otherwise, you're doing nothing other than blowing hot air.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dipset » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Sizemore isn't a better hitter. He may have more power, but he's not a better hitter.[/quote]
You're going to need to back it up. Heck, I'm as big a Reyes and Mets fan as there is, but nearly every thing I look at this season points to Sizemore. If you think Reyes is or has been better, provide some sort of evidence at least. Otherwise, you're doing nothing other than blowing hot air.[/quote]

i can back it up that reyes is a better hitter. A good hitter does what..... hit the ball. Reyes 30 k's to sizemore's 70 that means reyes is better at hitting the ball.
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:36 pm

dipset wrote:i can back it up that reyes is a better hitter. A good hitter does what..... hit the ball. Reyes 30 k's to sizemore's 70 that means reyes is better at hitting the ball.

So the way you determine who is a better hitter is by their total number of strikeouts? Hey, cheers to you... :o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:05 am

bigh0rt wrote:
dipset wrote:i can back it up that reyes is a better hitter. A good hitter does what..... hit the ball. Reyes 30 k's to sizemore's 70 that means reyes is better at hitting the ball.

So the way you determine who is a better hitter is by their total number of strikeouts? Hey, cheers to you... :o

Actually, I think he's on to something.
In 1992, Sid Bream had 51 strikeouts. That year's MVP, Barry Bonds, had 69.
I've heard some stories about Bream coaching Bonds on his swing before he left Pittsburgh for Atlanta.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers