Sizemore vs. Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sizemore vs. Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sizemore vs. Reyes

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 pm

pokerplaya wrote:You are always going to find people who claim one player is vastly superior to another based on their own biases. But why don't you go back and look at that Hanley/Reyes thread. Most people claim it is VERY close.

See below:
activechamp2006 wrote:The difference here is.. With Reye's power it built up. The scouts always talked about how much power he had. In his first full season he showed a little bit of that with nine home runs, and then jumped up to 19. As for Hanley he just went straight to 17, with no indication he should be hitting that many home runs. If we're talking about who's going to be the better player it's really not an argument. Look at Jose Reye's protection. Even if he was to hit 250 he's still going to get 100+runs with 50+sbs. I mean come on now, look at who's hitting behind him. Hanley on the other hand, it seems as though he's going to have to do everything on his own. Besides Mcab Hanley has no help. Good luck with that one buddy ;-D

viewtopic.php?t=267480&hilit=hanley&start=80

Clearly biased towards Reyes. The numbers suggest that Sizemore and Hanley are better hitters in real life. And better fielders as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:You are always going to find people who claim one player is vastly superior to another based on their own biases. But why don't you go back and look at that Hanley/Reyes thread. Most people claim it is VERY close.

See below:
activechamp2006 wrote:The difference here is.. With Reye's power it built up. The scouts always talked about how much power he had. In his first full season he showed a little bit of that with nine home runs, and then jumped up to 19. As for Hanley he just went straight to 17, with no indication he should be hitting that many home runs. If we're talking about who's going to be the better player it's really not an argument. Look at Jose Reye's protection. Even if he was to hit 250 he's still going to get 100+runs with 50+sbs. I mean come on now, look at who's hitting behind him. Hanley on the other hand, it seems as though he's going to have to do everything on his own. Besides Mcab Hanley has no help. Good luck with that one buddy ;-D

Clearly biased towards Reyes. The numbers suggest that Sizemore and Hanley are better hitters in real life. And better fielders as well.

Great. So you cited me a post. I'm sure there are others as well. My point is that most people think Hanley and Reyes are very comprable players. Some think Reyes is better, and I've heard others saying that Hanley projects to be a better player. It goes both ways...my point is you claimed that many people were claiming that Reyes is far and away the better player. I just don't think that is the case...that's all.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:43 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Yoda wrote:

See below:

Great. So you cited me a post. I'm sure there are others as well. My point is that most people think Hanley and Reyes are very comprable players. Some think Reyes is better, and I've heard others saying that Hanley projects to be a better player. It goes both ways...my point is you claimed that many people were claiming that Reyes is far and away the better player. I just don't think that is the case...that's all.

Never claimed that many people called Reyes the far and away the better player. I pointed out that activechamp2006 is biased Reyes fan and based on his posts, he clearly is.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:48 pm

You are right, sir. I thought you were talking in a generality, but you clearly stated "him" in relation to Activechamp. My apologies.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:52 pm

pokerplaya wrote:You are right, sir. I thought you were talking in a generality, but you clearly stated "him" in relation to Activechamp. My apologies, it was 4AM, I was long due for some sleep. :*)

No need to apologize at all... I got called out by Hort and I was just defending my position.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:57 pm

According to The Hardball Times, your defensive analysis isn't quite on par. Hanley is listed as the third worst defensive SS in the league so far this season, as is Sizemore for CF.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:18 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
Yoda wrote:They are close but I'd probably take Reyes in fantasy baseball. I think I would rather have Sizemore in real life though since he is more of a complete player. His offensive production as a CF is outstanding.

I dont know about sizemore over reyes in real life. Reyes is one of the most fun players to watch, and he provides that extra spark. Personally I think Reyes takes the cake in both Fantasy and real life.
If Sizemore was a SS then it would be a different conversation, but he's not. Even if Reyes puts up worse numbers then Sizemore this season he will have higher value.
To be honest Reyes isn't going to end at 5 home runs, lets get real here boys. I understand he's taking a different approach at the plate, but he still has power. He still has a relatively high SLG . I would be surprised to see him hit less then 10 dingers this season.
Like others stated Sizemore and Reyes should be comprable in runs, and rbis. SB will goto Reyes by quite a large margin, as will BA, but not by quite as big of a margin. While Sizemore should take the home runs category by around 10.
Both great players, but like I said about the comparison of Carl Crawford and Reyes, position means everything.

Home runs...by ten? In real life, I will take Sizemore anyday. He plays great defense, and has amazing range out there. Reyes has great range, but he still doesn't play the best defense. CF defense is more of a premium than SS defense.

By the end of their careers I see a career year as:

Sizemore: 140/.300/38/103/45
Reyes: 135/.310/19/84/75

This is Sizemore, easily. Add in all the ladies he brings to the ballpark, he'd be my pick B-)
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:24 pm

Fantasy Man 27 wrote: CF defense is more of a premium than SS defense.

I will disagree with this.

Fantasy Man 27 wrote:
Add in all the ladies he brings to the ballpark, he'd be my pick B-)

I will agree with this!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:49 pm

bigh0rt wrote:According to The Hardball Times, your defensive analysis isn't quite on par. Hanley is listed as the third worst defensive SS in the league so far this season, as is Sizemore for CF.

Hmmm what is it career wise? I think they are all good defensive players but not exceptionally good.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:According to The Hardball Times, your defensive analysis isn't quite on par. Hanley is listed as the third worst defensive SS in the league so far this season, as is Sizemore for CF.

Hmmm what is it career wise? I think they are all good defensive players but not exceptionally good.

I don't think they've posted the career marks yet. I'm with you, though, I thought the whole bunch of them were good defensive players, so was shocked to see Sizemore and Hanley both in the bottom 3 of their positions on the season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers