Sizemore vs. Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sizemore vs. Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sizemore vs. Reyes

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Further expansion on my post above

I'm starting to think 10 could be the ceiling as well for The Dominican Torpedo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:01 pm

I still think Reyes should be a lock for 10 HR's. HR's have a tendancy to come in bunches, and as you have already stated Hort, he has a different approach at the plate. While I think this is exactly what he should be doing from the leadoff spot, all he has to do is start getting under the ball more and he will accidentally hit a few out of the yard. The fact is, he has been swinging a very level bat, taking a ton of walks, and hitting a lot of grounders up the middle and frozen ropes to the gap. However, I do think he could actually start making mistakes, and getting under balls, and hit a few out by accident. I just think it's really hard to hit only 8HR's when you get 650 AB's.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:57 pm

I'd take Sizemore. He will have more than 28 HR by season's end.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Belle's Advocate » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:58 pm

I think I would take Sizemore too. He is only getting better each day this season, I think he is going to finish with a .300 AVG, 140 R, 30-35 HR, 75 RBI & 45 SB.
Belle's Advocate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Yoda wrote:They are close but I'd probably take Reyes in fantasy baseball. I think I would rather have Sizemore in real life though since he is more of a complete player. His offensive production as a CF is outstanding.

I dont know about sizemore over reyes in real life. Reyes is one of the most fun players to watch, and he provides that extra spark. Personally I think Reyes takes the cake in both Fantasy and real life.
If Sizemore was a SS then it would be a different conversation, but he's not. Even if Reyes puts up worse numbers then Sizemore this season he will have higher value.
To be honest Reyes isn't going to end at 5 home runs, lets get real here boys. I understand he's taking a different approach at the plate, but he still has power. He still has a relatively high SLG . I would be surprised to see him hit less then 10 dingers this season.
Like others stated Sizemore and Reyes should be comprable in runs, and rbis. SB will goto Reyes by quite a large margin, as will BA, but not by quite as big of a margin. While Sizemore should take the home runs category by around 10.
Both great players, but like I said about the comparison of Carl Crawford and Reyes, position means everything.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:01 am

activechamp2006 wrote:
Yoda wrote:They are close but I'd probably take Reyes in fantasy baseball. I think I would rather have Sizemore in real life though since he is more of a complete player. His offensive production as a CF is outstanding.

I dont know about sizemore over reyes in real life. Reyes is one of the most fun players to watch, and he provides that extra spark. Personally I think Reyes takes the cake in both Fantasy and real life.
If Sizemore was a SS then it would be a different conversation, but he's not. Even if Reyes puts up worse numbers then Sizemore this season he will have higher value.
To be honest Reyes isn't going to end at 5 home runs, lets get real here boys. I understand he's taking a different approach at the plate, but he still has power. He still has a relatively high SLG . I would be surprised to see him hit less then 10 dingers this season.
Like others stated Sizemore and Reyes should be comprable in runs, and rbis. SB will goto Reyes by quite a large margin, as will BA, but not by quite as big of a margin. While Sizemore should take the home runs category by around 10.
Both great players, but like I said about the comparison of Carl Crawford and Reyes, position means everything.

You are just a biased Reyes fan. Grady is only 10 months older and has better career OBP, SLG, RC, WS, VORP... Not to mention better defensive rating for his position. Add in the fact that there are only a handful of CFs that can put up offensive numbers like Grady and he is a better choice in real baseball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:33 am

As a fantasy owner, I'd prefer to have Reyes, because it's hard to come by steals. As an owner of an actual team, I'd take Sizemore due to his power.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Yoda wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:

You are just a biased Reyes fan. Grady is only 10 months older and has better career OBP, SLG, RC, WS, VORP... Not to mention better defensive rating for his position. Add in the fact that there are only a handful of CFs that can put up offensive numbers like Grady and he is a better choice in real baseball.

Sort of short-sighted and foolish to plainly call him a 'biased Reyes fan', don't you think? There's a reason it's up for debate -- because there are two sides to the argument, and if one side is going to simply say, "You're a biased fan of the alternative", then I don't think it'd be up for discussion in the first place.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:11 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:I dont know about sizemore over reyes in real life. Reyes is one of the most fun players to watch, and he provides that extra spark. Personally I think Reyes takes the cake in both Fantasy and real life.

Sort of short-sighted and foolish to plainly call him a 'biased Reyes fan', don't you think? There's a reason it's up for debate -- because there are two sides to the argument, and if one side is going to simply say, "You're a biased fan of the alternative", then I don't think it'd be up for discussion in the first place.

They are very close in both fantasy and real life IMO. I've seen him in other debates involving Reyes claiming that he is far and away better than Hanley Ramirez. So no, I am not being short sighted and foolish at all. Virtually all offensive averages point to Sizemore as a superior hitter. Reyes wins in SBs and that is pretty much it. Reyes also wins in the "Wow" and larger media market department as well. But when it is all said and done, Sizemore is a superior player in real life.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:32 pm

You are always going to find people who claim one player is vastly superior to another based on their own biases. But why don't you go back and look at that Hanley/Reyes thread. Most people claim it is VERY close.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers