Loud Mouth - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Loud Mouth

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Loud Mouth

Postby mikedeatworld » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:56 pm

How do you shut up a loud mouth in your league...?

D-
mikedeatworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:08 pm

Don't invite him back. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:10 pm

lock him down from posting to the leagues message board and like lofunzo said..don't invite him back
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Re: Loud Mouth

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:16 pm

mikedeatworld wrote:How do you shut up a loud mouth in your league...?

D-

That's a good question.

I was going to ask a similar question but I was going to poll people about their views on trash talking. Good natured trash talking is a lot of fun and, as long as the other owners have a sense of humour, it adds to the game.

Trash talking and loud mouths are a real problem sometimes - they take the fun out of it and that is really what you are doing this for - fun. It has gotten so bad in some of my leagues that offensive pictures have been posted and some owners have even dropped out of the league.

My solution: I do not enter free leagues anymore and I am aiming to be exclusively in keeper leagues where I know and like all of the other owners. If you are in a long term league with a good commish, you should not have a problem with loud mouths.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby jimmycolorado » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:32 pm

I agree and disagree with some of the suggestions. Locking out the player from any aspect of the game, I think, is unacceptable; the player has just as much right to post on a message board and say anything he pleases as you do. Are there lines to be drawn? Of course: no attacks on race/religion; no explicit/inappropriate images/etc. But that's simply common decency.

I agree that said player should probably not be considered for next years' league, and I also agree with Mookie (and as a general rule of thumb) to NEVER join public leagues or to allow the public to participate in your private leagues. It’s too easy to find capable and responsible individuals to play when communities like the Café are around. ^^

This being said (and call me old fashioned), the simplest way to shut up a loud mouth is to beat him. I mean, it's classic Hemmingway, no? ^_~
jimmycolorado
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:35 pm

jimmycolorado wrote:This being said (and call me old fashioned), the simplest way to shut up a loud mouth is to beat him. I mean, it's classic Hemmingway, no? ^_~

I completely agree - but how do you find them? and then what if they run away?

I think it's more Tarantino and less Hemmingway.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:03 pm

You get Uma Thurman to do it of course!

She'd get it done rather stylishly in a yellow jumpsuit reminiscent of Bruce Lee.
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Re: Loud Mouth

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:05 pm

mikedeatworld wrote:How do you shut up a loud mouth in your league...?

D-

You beat him, and win the league. :-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:09 pm

Call me a neanderthal, but I prefer the ending to Jay and Silent Bob's movie.

Knock Knock.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jellyroll » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:36 pm

jimmycolorado wrote:I agree and disagree with some of the suggestions. Locking out the player from any aspect of the game, I think, is unacceptable; the player has just as much right to post on a message board and say anything he pleases as you do. Are there lines to be drawn? Of course: no attacks on race/religion; no explicit/inappropriate images/etc. But that's simply common decency.

I've unfortunately run into cases (probably like most of you) where a player can ruin the jovial/competitive experience. They don't necessarily need to attack character or background to cross the line (which takes a lot because most of us have thick virtual skin). Let's say an excessive whiner. Who claims collusion, conspiracy, and my favorite biased rules.

If you know the person be a man and talk to them and share concerns. If you don't know them, a private email. Private leagues are the way to go. -Ann Landers.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers