Need help figuring something out (Yahoo Private League) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need help figuring something out (Yahoo Private League)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help figuring something out (Yahoo Private League)

Postby tecmobowl12 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:59 pm

I'm in a Yahoo private league where everyone for the most part knows everybody else. Yesterday a trade was accepted between two of them (who are both my good friends) one of whom is the commissioner. The commish is getting Johan and the other guy is getting Granderson. I don't need to explain why that's vetoable (if its not cheating then its lopsided/irrational considering the other guy has no idea who granderson is) The thing is, the other guy's "last league activity" was May 11, while the commish's last activty was yesterday 5 minutes before the trade popped up. Is it possible to accept/propose a trade and not have it update your league activity???

This seems shady. I know the other guy doesn't care about his team because he asked me a while back if I wanted him to trade me his players or if I would help him manage his team (in addition he flew to amsterdam this afternoon so I doubt I'll hear from him anytime soon ;) ). So I'm pretty sure its my other friend (commissioner) being an idiot. If this makes sense I'd appreciate you cluing me in here... thanks ;D
tecmobowl12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help figuring something out (Yahoo Private League)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 pm

This guy needs a lesson in fantasy baseball ethics, and that starts with this trade being vetoed here. You don't ask people if they want any of your players because you don't care about a league. That is completely antagonistic to the competitiveness of the league. He'll understand if you explain it to him thoroughly, and he can seriously consider whether fantasy baseball is for him in the future.

Clearly, allowing the trade to go through isn't an option. Veto it, and talk to the Santana owner about sportsmanship.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby tecmobowl12 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:17 pm

The trade actually went through! Geez my league is more terrible than I thought. One of the other guys called out the commissioner, but apparently no one else checked in time or cared that much. Whatever I'm going to beat the commissioner's team down anyway and embarrass him on the message board while I do it. Thanks for your response
tecmobowl12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:39 pm

The thing is, the other guy's "last league activity" was May 11, while the commish's last activty was yesterday 5 minutes before the trade popped up. Is it possible to accept/propose a trade and not have it update your league activity???

I think that I remember something about league activity date and time not being updated unless you make a waiver move or set your roster. Dumb trade, though.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby tecmobowl12 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I think that I remember something about league activity date and time not being updated unless you make a waiver move or set your roster. Dumb trade, though.

Thanks, I think you are correct. Indeed afterwards it showed the trade was made "by" each owner, not by the commissioner for both teams (which is what I alleged).

Also the former owner of Santana apologized about the trade--he didn't realize it actually was that bad.
This should make the starting pitching race pretty interesting:

1st place: Smoltz, Hudson, Matsuzaka, Willis, Penny, Beckett, Schilling, Burnett
2nd place: Hamels, Felix, Randy, Snell, Cain, Morris, Mitre
3rd (me): Peavy, Webb, Haren, Clemens, Mussina, Lincecum, Guthrie
4th place: Santana, Sabathia, Halladay, Meche, Maine, Perez

:*)
tecmobowl12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 am

tecmobowl12 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I think that I remember something about league activity date and time not being updated unless you make a waiver move or set your roster. Dumb trade, though.

Thanks, I think you are correct. Indeed afterwards it showed the trade was made "by" each owner, not by the commissioner for both teams (which is what I alleged).

Also the former owner of Santana apologized about the trade--he didn't realize it actually was that bad.
This should make the starting pitching race pretty interesting:

1st place: Smoltz, Hudson, Matsuzaka, Willis, Penny, Beckett, Schilling, Burnett
2nd place: Hamels, Felix, Randy, Snell, Cain, Morris, Mitre
3rd (me): Peavy, Webb, Haren, Clemens, Mussina, Lincecum, Guthrie
4th place: Santana, Sabathia, Halladay, Meche, Maine, Perez

:*)

This is exactly one of those situations where a veto because of apathy should be/have been used.

I think it takes a lot of balls to think that you can not look at your team for a full month- and then, without so much as setting your lineups, accept a trade that gives away your first round pick for a waiver wire pick up. I'm not saying Grandy is WW trash now, but he's still clearly way less valuable than Johan. His last league activity having been May 11th shows you that he isn't taking the league seriously. No way you allow someone who isn't taking the league seriously break a month long absence by trading Santana for Granderson. That's why we have vetoes.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Return to Commissioner's Corner