Yankees and third - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees and third

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:58 pm

swing.......I am not disputing that the Yankees signed some players although I don't know what trades have to do with anything. Using your logic, out of the Astros starting 8, they only drafted 3 of them. They also bought 2/5 of their starting rotation this offseason.

I'm not saying that they're on the Yankees level with this but if 1 of them is wrong, then they both are. Personally, I think that they are both well within the rules.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:04 pm

LBJackal wrote:Despite swingaway's apparent 'permafried' facade, he is right. The Yankees buy everybody. The Astros bought Pettitte and Clemens, but because they WANTED to play for Houston. Pettitte turned down more money from the Yanks to play in Hoston. It's not like the 'stros went out and said "Hmmmmmmmmm, who can we buy for millions of dollars so we have the bst team in the world?". It was Pettitte's decision. And that's why Rocket went too.

How does the reason matter? If the Yankees would have stepped up from day 1, Pettitte would have signed back with the Yankees. That is a fact. That said, there are also players that want to play with the Yankees. Why no break there?

My whole point is that if buying players is bad for the game, then let it be bad for everyone. Not just the teams that you hate. Also, remember that if more teams would buck up and put their money into their teams or move them to places that would support them, then these players wouldn't all be available for them. Like them or not, anyone would like to have an owner that would do whatever it took to try and field a winner.

Here's an example with the Astros for swing. Say Mark Cuban bought the Astros and decided to do what he's doing with the Mavs and buy all players and trade for name after name, are you all of a sudden going to condemn them like you do the Yankees? I don't think so. If you do, then you are not a real fan of the team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:15 pm

Come on Lofunzo, don't you know the basic credo of the Yankee hater is that what is good for them is fine and what is good for the Yanks is bad even if it ends up being the same? Why let a litlle hypocrisy stand in the way of a good Yankee Bash? Why you trying to use logic and reason with these sorts?

Did you hear them complaining about the bought free agent rings of the 97 Marlins or the 01 D'backs...nah. Course not. They can sign whatever free agents they want. They can spend whatever they see fit, but oh man if the Yanks do it it is bad for the game...what a bunch of BS. Ah, pity the poor O's, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, or any other big market club. Whine the poor owner of Nintendo, AOL-Time Warner, Billionaire Glass, Billionaire Pohlad, The Chicago Tribune, Comrade Bud and his Swiss Bank account, the Dolans....Come on. These Billionaires can't compete with big bad George by playing the same game in many instances. I am playing the world's smallest violin for them.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lesgrant » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:48 pm

The thing about Yankee haters is they picked the wrong team to root against.

It’s like they walk around in this fog of denial. Many, here, insisted that the Yankees couldn’t make any moves. Somehow people were under the general impression that the Yanks had nothing attractive in their farm system to offer anyone in the league for anyone that was better offensively and defensively than Boone.

Then reality hits and they cry and cry about how it’s not fair that Steinbrenner is throwing all of his resources behind his franchise. And it’s not like George is the wealthiest entity to own a big league team. He’s not even the wealthiest single person.

Their solution: Let’s cap it off. Let’s tax, and share.

That’s not right at all.

Communism will kill this game, mark my words. It’s just downright un-American.
:-/
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swingaway » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:25 pm

baseball needs slary cap liek football and it would bring competive balance and make the game mroe enjoyable for all the teams in the mlb a chance. Thats wh y football is gaining more fans than baseball now because anyone can win example carolina panthers. Baseball needs cap but it will never happen. Everyone that gets it teh cap are the greedy players union and the rich buying team clubs liek the yankees, boston, and any team that buy boat loads of free agents. I repeat Baseball needs slary cap if it doent happen soon we will only see about 50 percent of the mlb field competieve teams while the other half raise players through their farm sytem then trade them off to the higher lvl market club because they cant afford them. Another reason why the bigger markets field better teams is because of there citiys population NY haves over a million people ans so does LA, Houston, and all the other big cities. The ony reason the smaller cities have a chance in other sports is because of some sort of capbut baseball does not. Pretty soon we will see only 10 teams have super teams and the others with all minor legauers or cheap has beens.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:35 pm

It is very difficult to compare baseball and football. Baseball is a regional game, where revenues are generated in the areas of the team, for the most part. Football, on the other hand, has national revenues. I agree that there should be some kind of cap, at least better than what is in place now. I also think that there should be a minimum cap. If you are going to take the Yankees for going over $115 million or whatever it is, then what are you going to do for a club that doesn't even spend $20 million? I think that the latter is a bigger problem.
Lofunzo

Postby swingaway » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:36 am

Lofunzo wrote:It is very difficult to compare baseball and football. Baseball is a regional game, where revenues are generated in the areas of the team, for the most part. Football, on the other hand, has national revenues. I agree that there should be some kind of cap, at least better than what is in place now. I also think that there should be a minimum cap. If you are going to take the Yankees for going over $115 million or whatever it is, then what are you going to do for a club that doesn't even spend $20 million? I think that the latter is a bigger problem.

Easy if they dont meet 20 mill contract the team because more than likely there not a competive team any way.The only exception to that rule would be to expansion teams that are under 5 years of existence.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby swingaway » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:45 am

Oh yeah back to the real topic of this post i know 1 scernio that wont happen. Heres the article http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... &fext=.jsp
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:32 am

This thread turned into a bunch of Yankee fans trying to justify how George ruined baseball.......have fun, I'm not wasting my breath.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jonnyblack » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:39 am

Dang, man. If all of you hate the yanks so much, then i want to play some fantasy with you. Might as well draft your hometown favorite as well. I'm, sorry Yanks, and all you other fans, but baseball carries no negative emotions with me. It is a self-correcting system that exists to make American People sane. as Leonard Koppet said. "I can imagine a world without baseball. I just can't imagine living in it."

If the Yanks are good, no good for me, but I can't balme Stienhitler for doing what i want my owner to do. Who cares. IMO>

:-° :-° :-° :-° :-° :-° :-° :-° :-°
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers