Carlos (HR,RBI,AVE) Pena!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos (HR,RBI,AVE) Pena!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos (HR,RBI,AVE) Pena!!!

Postby sonnyp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:09 am

If this guy is available in your league I suggest you grab him. He is for real! Is anyone else on the Pena Wagon???

151 AB 14HR 38RBI .311 .398 Season stats
sonnyp
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Carlos (HR,RBI,AVE) Pena!!!

Postby rippz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:28 am

Ive been on it since May 3rd... Ive got Pujols and Cabrera on my team but somehow Pena has been my best batter for a month and a half. As long as you can sit him vs lefties, I think Pena will contribute just as much as Tex would(only when Pena plays righties). He gets to go to Colorado this week so expect his numbers to go up even more. The Pena/Delmon combo in the 5th/6th spots of the order are raking right now. ;D

Look a little closer and he would be ranked 13th overall and 10th best batter if he played this way the whole season. (only 150 at bats)

To bad the Yanks didnt keep him...
Last edited by rippz on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doughhead » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:29 am

Yeah, these numbers are getting hard to ignore. But doesn't Pena have stretches like this every now and then? And then when he crashes, he crashes hard? Still, the guy is among the HR leaders with only 150 ABs, so you take notice.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rippz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:36 am

Doughhead wrote:Yeah, these numbers are getting hard to ignore. But doesn't Pena have stretches like this every now and then? And then when he crashes, he crashes hard? Still, the guy is among the HR leaders with only 150 ABs, so you take notice.

Yes, he does have stretches of hot and cold but he was at one time one of the best power hitting prospects in the game. This isnt just a streak. Tampa is playing him the best way possible. Because they have a few players who can jump into the lineup on any given day, Pena is able to sit vs most lefties and thus his numbers will stay this way the whole season because he absolutely kills righties. He isnt going to finish the season as a top 10 player or anything but if you can keep an eye on when he plays against lefties and bench him he is worth every at bat he has vs righties.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:49 am

rippz wrote:
Doughhead wrote:Yeah, these numbers are getting hard to ignore. But doesn't Pena have stretches like this every now and then? And then when he crashes, he crashes hard? Still, the guy is among the HR leaders with only 150 ABs, so you take notice.

Yes, he does have stretches of hot and cold but he was at one time one of the best power hitting prospects in the game. This isnt just a streak. Tampa is playing him the best way possible. Because they have a few players who can jump into the lineup on any given day, Pena is able to sit vs most lefties and thus his numbers will stay this way the whole season because he absolutely kills righties. He isnt going to finish the season as a top 10 player or anything but if you can keep an eye on when he plays against lefties and bench him he is worth every at bat he has vs righties.

How much does that hurt his value in weekly leagues?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:51 am

Gone in all my leagues
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 am

He definitely had some hot streaks before but I don't recall him keeping up for this long. One thing I've noticed with him is that he seems to hitting the other way a lot. Maybe someone who's watched him more can attest to this but I thought he was generally a pull hitter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rippz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:13 am

How much does that hurt his value in weekly leagues?

I guess that does hurt.... Well then just keep an eye on him a see if he starts to tap lefties for at least a .250avg. If Ty does get traded at some point, im pretty sure that Pena will bat cleanup and play everyday.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Yoda wrote:He definitely had some hot streaks before but I don't recall him keeping up for this long. One thing I've noticed with him is that he seems to hitting the other way a lot. Maybe someone who's watched him more can attest to this but I thought he was generally a pull hitter.

When he struggles it seems as if he is trying to pull everything. Maybe he has finally found a way to stop. In Detroit he was a nowhereman until the Tigers were well out of any race, usually starting to hit in July/Aug. Maybe he thinks the DRays were never in it, and so never felt any pressure.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hot4tx » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 pm

I suggest you draft him and then give him away for nothing because you don't have "room" for a highly touted 1B prospect. Also do this with Adrian Gonzalez. Then complain to your fans that you have no idea why you aren't even close to a .500 team, blame and fire the manager, and whine.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers