Minor League Trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Minor League Trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Trade?

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:53 am

This isn't really even a minor league trade, since the guys I'd give up aren't prospects anymore. But I thought the people in here would have a better idea of the value of what the other owner is offering. It's an 18 team, H2H contract league ($260 salary). Once we bring up a minor leaguer, we automatically get him in a 5 year contract at $2, $4, $6, $8, $10 (you'll see a lot of these involved below). So minor leaguers are very important (they allowed me to pay a ton for Johan this year, and probably next year). I'm currently in 2nd place with a good shot at winning it all this year. Anyway, the other owner is relentless and has offered a ton of trades to try to get my Felix, Prince or Markakis. I figured I'd post the latest and biggest to make sure I'm not rejecting it off too quickly.

He sends:

2 first round minor league picks for next year (likely in the 10-18 range though)
Nick Adenhart (minor league roster = 5 year prospect contract when called up)
Conor Jackson (first year of 5 year prospect contract)
Brian Dopirak (minor league roster)
Brandon Wood (minor league roster)
Mike Pelfrey (minor league roster)
Tad Iguchi (1 year contract, all but $1 paid this year)

I would send:

Prince Fielder (2nd year of 5 year prospect contract)
Nick Markakis (1st year of 5 year prospect contract)

______________________________________________________

I don't think I can give up Prince. He's a guy I've targeted in all my leagues and have been reeping the rewards this year. This trade also does nothing for me this year, even if I have Morneau to slip into 1B. Iguchi is a throw in on his part, since he has Kelly Johnson signed, and I'm not sure if Dopirak and Jackson have much value left. On the other hand, I'm huge on Wood and Pelfrey and think the other 3 prospects have some very solid value (well, I used to be high on Jackson, and lukewarm on Dopirak). Overall I think this trade just gives me a lot of potential, while giving up some sure things. Just want to make sure I'm not crazy for turning this down. Any thoughts?
Image

________________
One man with courage makes a majority.
Andrew Jackson
JRM4833
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3308
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where else ... Boston

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:56 am

I would stick with what you got. Dopirak and Iguchi really aren't worth that much and Fielder and Markakis are proven while the others are not. CoJack is decent, but he's nothing near what Fielder and Markakis are. The uncertainty of the other 3 is reason enough to pass IMO.
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby master453 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:10 am

that's awful. seriously you would haveto be NUTS to even consider doing something a deal like that.

fielder and markakis are MAJOR LEAGUE studs that you have locked up to ridiculously cheap long term deals. and youre considering trading them for a bunch of minor leaguers (a few of which arent even elite level talents)? are you crazy?

look man, in your situation you could offer me maybin, bruce, longoria, wood, whatever, blah, pretty much ANY 5 stud elite minor leaguers and i'd still say no for fielder/markakis. for fielder on a 5 yr/avg $6 per year deal youd better be flashing pujols or reyes or something like that in my face. brian dopriak? ugh.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 350
Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:19 am

FalcoAtL wrote:I would stick with what you got. Dopirak and Iguchi really aren't worth that much and Fielder and Markakis are proven while the others are not. CoJack is decent, but he's nothing near what Fielder and Markakis are. The uncertainty of the other 3 is reason enough to pass IMO.


Thanks for the feeback. Kind of what I was thinking anyways, but I've turned down so many offers that I figured I should at least get a second opinion before rejecting yet another one.
Image

________________
One man with courage makes a majority.
Andrew Jackson
JRM4833
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3308
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where else ... Boston

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:56 pm

master453 wrote:that's awful. seriously you would haveto be NUTS to even consider doing something a deal like that.

fielder and markakis are MAJOR LEAGUE studs that you have locked up to ridiculously cheap long term deals. and youre considering trading them for a bunch of minor leaguers (a few of which arent even elite level talents)? are you crazy?

look man, in your situation you could offer me maybin, bruce, longoria, wood, whatever, blah, pretty much ANY 5 stud elite minor leaguers and i'd still say no for fielder/markakis. for fielder on a 5 yr/avg $6 per year deal youd better be flashing pujols or reyes or something like that in my face. brian dopriak? ugh.



No need to freak out on him. He clearly stated in the post that he was going to reject, but wanted to get another opinion. I don't think anyone needs to crticize him about considering it. There are 4 very good players coming his way.
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:28 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:
master453 wrote:that's awful. seriously you would haveto be NUTS to even consider doing something a deal like that.

fielder and markakis are MAJOR LEAGUE studs that you have locked up to ridiculously cheap long term deals. and youre considering trading them for a bunch of minor leaguers (a few of which arent even elite level talents)? are you crazy?

look man, in your situation you could offer me maybin, bruce, longoria, wood, whatever, blah, pretty much ANY 5 stud elite minor leaguers and i'd still say no for fielder/markakis. for fielder on a 5 yr/avg $6 per year deal youd better be flashing pujols or reyes or something like that in my face. brian dopriak? ugh.



No need to freak out on him. He clearly stated in the post that he was going to reject, but wanted to get another opinion. I don't think anyone needs to crticize him about considering it. There are 4 very good players coming his way.


Seriously. I've been around these forums for over three years and he treats me like some fantasy baseball newbie. I tried to be as clear as possible about my opinion of the trade. Thanks again for the advice.
Image

________________
One man with courage makes a majority.
Andrew Jackson
JRM4833
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3308
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where else ... Boston

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby master453 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:23 pm

i dont know you. i dont care how many years youve been playing fantasy ball. my advice would have been the same to anyone that asked that question. imo, that trade was a horrible idea.

you asked for opinions. i gave you mine. i have no idea why people would complain about free advice people are trying to give?
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 350
Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby powenM » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:32 pm

I think he was just emphasizing how the bad the deal was.
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4004
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Some trades don't need second opinions.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 388
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Minor League Trade?

Postby JRM4833 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:17 pm

master453 wrote:i dont know you. i dont care how many years youve been playing fantasy ball. my advice would have been the same to anyone that asked that question. imo, that trade was a horrible idea.

you asked for opinions. i gave you mine. i have no idea why people would complain about free advice people are trying to give?


Because you're rude and annoying. Don't do me anymore favors. Stay out of my threads in the future as your opinion is worthless to me. Thanks pal.
Image

________________
One man with courage makes a majority.
Andrew Jackson
JRM4833
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3308
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where else ... Boston

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bijirbzxlw and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact