Postby ingsreday » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:40 pm

Bust or will he continue to do well?
ingsreday
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:43 pm

Welcome to the Cafe!

I believe he will only get better. I think he will probably struggle some in the second half like last year until he builds up stamina but he'll be a fine keeper.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Steve Kemp » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:46 pm

welcome...i got to say bust. he was never the same after a game against the Cubs. a long rain delay in the 4th inning and he came back to pitch and got shelled.
Alan Trammell should be in the Hall
Steve Kemp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:50 pm

I don't think he will be a bust, unless you have high hopes for him. He will be pretty good but not like last year when he won like 10 of 11. He's still young and learning but will be a decent 3rd or 4th pitcher on your staff.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

What are you talking about willis?

Postby diesel99xx » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:53 pm

What are you talking about willis?
I think he will get better with time.
diesel99xx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cannonarm21 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:10 pm

I don't think he will be a bust, but I definitely don't think he will be quite as good as he was in the first half of last year.
It sort of reminds me what happened with Hideo Nomo. People were lost their first few at bats against Nomo because of his goofy wind up and delivery. Once people got some at bats and were able to study film on this guy they began to hit him. Dontrelle's delivery is different than what most people have seen, but you could see people getting more comfortable when facing him.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gypsyspot » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:27 pm

he'll be solid but not spectacular.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:32 pm

Whoa now. Nomo has had a stellar career. A fine addition to any fantasy team. I really think thats a terrible comparison.

Willis is hyped a bit right now - coming off a wonderful rookie campaign and World Series appearance. The chance that he will have upside value where he is being drafted is debateable. The jury is still out as to whether he will have a good career in baseball, or if he was a one yr wonder. Im not gonna make that guess. Im shooting from the hip here, but Im assuming there have been many rookie SPs who performed as well as Dontrell, but never made a long term career for themselves for one reason or another (injury due to mechanics, lack of maturity, telegraphing pitches, etc...). He will be much more valuable if he can put another season together like last yr. Given the revamping of the Marlins, Im afraid it isnt going to happen. He will see less run support, and will have a different C calling the shots.

The point is, he could be the next Oswalt, or the next Ankiel. Where I assume he will go in most drafts will be a best case scenario - meaning whoever drafts him will more than likely be paying full price for his 2003 numbers, and I dont see the value in that.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:34 pm

Steve Kemp wrote:welcome...i got to say bust. he was never the same after a game against the Cubs. a long rain delay in the 4th inning and he came back to pitch and got shelled.

thats not entirely accurate. he got shelled by the cubs and struggled for most of august putting up a 6.92 era and 1.62 whip but he rebounded nicely going 3-1, 2.89 era, 1.26 whip, and 33k in 37.1 ip in september after many people dropped him from their roster.

i wouldnt expect the same winning % from last year but i think he will turn in approximately the same ratios (3.30 era, 1.28 whip)
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Bullets » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:05 pm

first cafe post...viewed cafe last year, might as well join in...

willis will probably be drafted ahead of better options.

i think teams had a learning curve for his delivery. he certainly didn't fool the giants and cubs in the postseason. i think the nomo analogy was an example of another strange delivery, not a knock on nomo.

not a bust, but not a monster either.
Bullets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers