Brett Myers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brett Myers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Brett Myers

Postby clevername » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:48 am

yahoo is reporting his bullpen session didn't go well and it will be until after the all star break now.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dca5627 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 pm

To be honest with you, Yeah i drafted Myers to be one of my SP studs but as a closer he was nearly lights out i would love to see him slip back into the closer's role and continue to do what he was doing.. GET SAVES with No ERA... just can't beat it..
dca5627
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:34 pm

The should put Myers back into the bullpen because it worked so great the first time, afterall it did cause him to go on the DL (and a lengthy stay at that) for the first time as a major league player. If he comes back in the bullpen then by the end of July they can have him back to the DL for the rest of the season. Phillies management is only slightly smarter then Paris Hilton so this scenerio wouldn't shock me in the least.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:13 pm

Gillick was speaking during the game last night and he said taht Myers would stay in the bullpen and be back somewhere near the All-Star break (most likely after). They were going to have him pitch a rehab assignment Friday at AA Reading but pushed that back due to his not-so-great bullpen session...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AdvRider » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:36 am

END OF JULY?? For Pete's sake, I was expecting shortly after the ASG ... from Rotowire:

Jul 8 Myers (shoulder) threw a 20-pitch bullpen session on Saturday and reported no problems, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.
Recommendation: He's slated for a session on Wednesday, after which he'll begin throwing to live hitters barring a setback.

Myers could be back in the Philadelphia bullpen by the end of July, and he'll return to his role as the closer once he's back.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Myers is done for the year. Think about it. Originally he was going to be back around mid June, then by 2nd half of June, then the end of June, then before the ASG, then right after the ASG, then July 23rd, now the end of July. Next week it will be mid-august. Phillies management has been lying all season about their pitchers health (Gordon, Garcia, etc). I would not be shocked at all if Myers has thrown his last pitch in a major league game this season. Way to go Charlie, putting him in the bullpen really worked out!!! Charlie Manuel needs to be fired. Forest Gump could handle a pitching staff better then Charlie.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ceLpH » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:56 pm

blah

I think if the Phillies can remain somewhat close he'll be back soon... they may shut him down if they cant stay in the race though

no way he works back into the rotation though since hes not going to be able to throw 80+ pitches obviously, which is good for me cause I need him at closer
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:12 pm

ceLpH wrote:blah

I think if the Phillies can remain somewhat close he'll be back soon... they may shut him down if they cant stay in the race though

no way he works back into the rotation though since hes not going to be able to throw 80+ pitches obviously, which is good for me cause I need him at closer
The only way the Phillies can reamin close is if the Mets and Braves suck too. The Phillies are at best a .500 team. Look at the teams run differential. The Phillies have about half a starting rotation and Hamels has been to inconsistant and homer prone to be counted on as an ace this season. The only reason the phillies might not be sellers at the deadline is because they don't really have much of value to sell. Even if Myers comes back he won't get enough save ops to be anything other then a bottom 10 closer.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportscenter8831 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:58 pm

The fact that Garcia's career might be over is irrelevant. He and Jon Lieber are free agents at the end of the year and will not be resigned. The Phillies will not put Myers back in the rotation because he'd have to go back and do more rehab to build his arm back for being a starter. Philly really needs the bullpen help and hopes that Gordon and Myers can solve that. Thats mainly why they havent given up their best prospects for Lidge or Gagne. Kyle Kendrick has filled in well for Garcia and they are still searching for a #5 starter, but i'm almost positive it won't be Myers.

Hope the info helped, but i was as shocked as anyone when Myers was moved to the pen so who knows what they'll do
sportscenter8831
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:03 pm

sportscenter8831 wrote:The fact that Garcia's career might be over is irrelevant. He and Jon Lieber are free agents at the end of the year and will not be resigned. The Phillies will not put Myers back in the rotation because he'd have to go back and do more rehab to build his arm back for being a starter. Philly really needs the bullpen help and hopes that Gordon and Myers can solve that.
That's a strange post since no one has been saying the Phillies were going to put Myers back in the rotation. At least no one's been saying that recently (in the last week). I've said they should have taken the time to do it, but I know they won't. However, Myers in the bullpen is sort of pointless at this point because they really don't need him and Gordon there. The SP just isn't good enough to generate a lot of save ops. 6-Finger has what? 6 saves in a month and a half since Myers went down. That's only about 11-13 more over the rest of the season if the phillies keep that pace.

sportscenter8831 wrote:Thats mainly why they havent given up their best prospects for Lidge or Gagne.
I'm guessing you don't really know anything about the Phillies minor league system. I'm not and expert but I do know the Phillies have one of the worst minor league systems in baseball. Even if they wanted to trade for someone like Lidge, Gagne, Buehrle, etc, they don't have anyone in the minors that could get you someone like that this year. Thier only decent trading chip only recently got promoted to AA.

sportscenter8831 wrote:Kyle Kendrick has filled in well for Garcia and they are still searching for a #5 starter, but i'm almost positive it won't be Myers.
Kendrick has not filled in "well," but he has been suprisingly adequate. He's had 5 starts, 4 of which were quality starts, but 3 of those barely met the criteria for a quality start. He's good enough for now but I doubt his luck will last considering his WHIP sucks. Again, no one has been saying Myers would come back in the rotation (not recently anyway), but that doesn't mean that isn't what they should be be working toward. I've also been saying he never should have been moved to the bullpen in the first place because that's how Charlie, the town idiot, got him hurt in the first place.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates