Critique these scoring categories... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Critique these scoring categories...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EricF » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:42 pm

Our league had K/9 and K/BB its first year. The second year we changed to Ks and holds. We also imposed an IP minimum and raised the maximum IP in our Yahoo league to 1350. This helped avoid some of the relief pitcher shenanigans that go on in the average categories, and while holds is not a great stat, it has about as much meaning as saves, while giving some recognition to quality unsung setup men.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:06 pm

Yeah, Holds aren't a category and K/9 should just be K
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby jskidder » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:13 pm

k/9 to k for sure. that will eliminate some of the favor to relievers. also, i would combine obp & slg to ops and add bb as a category. and drop holds because it suddenly makes a middle releiver almost as valuable as a closer and we all know that ain't right.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:17 pm

jskidder wrote: also, i would combine obp & slg to ops and add bb as a category.

why?

I do not agree. BB should not have the same significance as the other categories. I do not agree with walks as a sep cat in any format.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby moose » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:03 pm

Im not combining OBP and SLG. They're seperate for a reason. Reward the pure "batters" and reward extra base power like doubles and triples.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:15 am

I've used those same 6 hitting categories and it works well for us. I think it's much more accurate with regard to how good a player is in real life. In our league last year, Bonds and Pujols were the big studs, just like in real life. Bonds especially, when you use OBP and SLG. He becomes a monster. I think this is accurate, though, because his last few seasons have been all-time great seasons, up there with Ruth, Williams, Gehrig.

It makes those steals guys much less valuable, which works for me. I mean, MLB.com has Juan Pierre as the #10 fantasy outfielder. Forget fantasy for a second, would anyone say Juan Pierre is the 10th-best outfielder in Major League Baseball? I don't think so.

For pitching, we use Wins, Saves, Strikeouts, ERA, WHIP, and Winning Percentage. I'm not thrilled with Winning Percentage as a category, but the other 5 I'm happy with.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Andy1234 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:03 am

You could also separate starting pitchers from RP. THis avoids the overuse of RP in your scoring system, Althogh a few Pitchers quaify as both starters and RP.
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:53 pm

jskidder wrote:k/9 to k for sure. that will eliminate some of the favor to relievers. also, i would combine obp & slg to ops and add bb as a category. and drop holds because it suddenly makes a middle releiver almost as valuable as a closer and we all know that ain't right.

I agree with everyone else that K/9 should just be changed to K to put weight back on the starters.

I disagree with the comments about holds. I've gotten on my soapbox several times on this, so search the archives, but here's the Cliff Notes version:

Holds are no more or less arbitrary a pitching category than Wins or Saves.

Middle relievers who collect holds actually save MORE runs and and are more valuable than closers. This is because "holders" come in more often with runners on base, while closers often start an inning with no one on base. Getting one or two guys out with the bases loaded in the 7th or 8th is more critical than getting the last three outs in the 9th.

Holds add a neat dimension to fantasy strategy, from draft day through the end of the season, by bringing set-up guys into the mix. It also makes managers think about pitchers in a way closer to real baseball.

I was definitely against holds when my league started using them. Now that I understand them more, I wouldn't ever drop them.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers