The effects of an in-season auction draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The effects of an in-season auction draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The effects of an in-season auction draft

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:15 am

Our league historically holds our auction draft about one week into the season.

That way we are sure to be drafting players from the final rosters. The last thing we want is for teams to stock up on $1 prospects only to reserve them opening day and pick up free agents.

What I love about having the draft a week in is how it messes with your mind. I actually root AGAINST guys that I'm targeting so the price is driven down. It can even change your mind about someone you've been looking at all offseason if you let it!

It's also funny to see what a hot first week will do. That year that Tuffy Rhodes hit 3 HR on opening day he went for $16 at the auction 8-o !+)

Anyone else have an in-season draft like this? What are some pros and cons you see to a draft after the season has started?
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:52 am

We also hold our draft the weekend after all the teams have played a game. Since we have minor leaguers it help with who our keepers are (minor leaguers don't count against our 13 keepers). I think last year someone bid $19 on Runelves Hernandez

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby GoDucks » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:20 pm

We would draft one week after the season starts. It helps in the sense that the rosters for each team have been set, and you have a better feel for who is playing and who is sitting. Also, it helps if someone gets hurt in the first week (like Jeter last year), so then you can adjust your draft to compensate.
GoDucks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:26 pm

All of my leagues start before the first pitch is thrown out on opening day. :-)

I couldn't imagine it any other way.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:33 pm

Me too, all of mine are way before the season starts. Mostly because we can never find a time to all meet in one spot, so it takes a month or two.

But my league is aweosme, it's in it's third year and every single team returned this season. For 18 strangers that don't know each other, that's tough to accomplish. It's an awesome league now, primarily because of it's AWESOME commish..........and you're looking at him :-D

So if you have the luxury of a live draft, in season might be nice, but I'd still prefer it about a week before the season. Just curious, for those who do in-season, do you ever use retro-active stats?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:38 pm

Yes, all stats are retroactive.

And in fact, we have a DL round where you can DL a guy you just drafted retroactively and pick up a free agent.....retroactively :-D
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:06 pm

Couldn't imagine drafting after the season has started personally.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby justinA » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:22 pm

i also couldnt imagine drafting after the season started. All the stuff that the original poster (didnt look at his name) said are ways to basically make it easier and less risks. I personally like the strategy of not knowing if a guy will start off well, or even start when i draft. Also, it eliminates the possibility of those crucial first month trades where u trade the hot ticket for just what appears to be a same level talent. Like last year, Eric Young started the season out quite well, showed some power, and that he still had speed. A GM called me on the phone one night telling me he needed steals desperately and was interested in young. So he gave me the choice between Jeff Conine or.. get this.. AUBREY HUFF. Luckily i went with aubrey, cuz actually at the time conine was on fire.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers