Fantasy Nostalgia? Did you start Roto in the 90's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Nostalgia? Did you start Roto in the 90's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fantasy Nostalgia? Did you start Roto in the 90's?

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:34 pm

My first few years in the league guys were so zapped by the end of the draft that they were packing up and leaving during the farm draft. They would forfeit their picks!
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 am

My first year was 1993. I drafted Paul Molitor in the first round, and Lofton in the second. It was incredibly lucky as I had no idea what I was doing. The rest of my draft blew, and I ended up trading a bunch of what I thought were hacks for Travis Fryman. Fryman had a decent year, but the players I traded away were worth way more. Totally got ripped off because I was a newbie.

The next year I started creating my own Excel spreadsheets and trying to come up with ranking systems based on a bunch of stats. Cecil Fielder always got dinged because he had no stolen bases. My rankings, to put it mildly, were crap.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Re:

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 am

Madison wrote:First league I ever played was early 90's and we did everything through snail mail. Oh the agony now that I look back at it. :-D

Mailed in our starting rosters and free agent moves every week. Got standings in the mail every week. Biggest thing was to just keep track of who was currently availiable in the free agent pool.

Now with the internet, everything is so much faster and easier. Couldn't imagine doing it the old way again.

Almost forgot, there was a fee for playing when I started. Something small, like $20. I don't remember exactly, but it did cost money, and with the internet, it became free. Just another way the internet has made fantasy baseball better. :-)

I think I started in 1989. I remember drafting a rookie name Frank Thomas.

Wicked expensive league and not sure how I afforded it...$260 buy in. Auction. And each move was $5 to activate and $5 to deactivate a player. FA pickups were called in to the Commish via blind FAAB bids on Sunday. He then mailed in the stats and we got mail by Wednesday.

Good times. Then our league went online and it was like heaven.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby wrveres » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:46 am

I kinda miss grid paper. :-)

But, waiting for the mailman on Tuesday afternoons, just to get the standings, sucked ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers