Fantasy Nostalgia? Did you start Roto in the 90's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Nostalgia? Did you start Roto in the 90's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Nostalgia? Did you start Roto in the 90's?

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:01 am

I guess fantasy baseball is old enough now that we can be nostalgic about it.

Just think about how it was PRE INTERNET :-o

You think we like Baseball Tonight now? It was a religion when internet use was rare. Fortunately I lived on the west coast so I could usually sleep halfway decently until (literally) I heard the paper hit the front stoop. Back then stats reports were snail mailed weekly - oh the agony! Technology is GOOOOD!

I remember my first year was in 1993. I did really well understanding offense thanks to collecting baseball cards. I took chances on expansion players in Galarraga and Bichette and a new Yankee Paul O'Neill. I bid Daulton up to $30 and there were cheers all around for the first $30 bid of the day. That's practically a starting bid nowadays 8-o It took me three years to get the hang of pitching, but we won't talk about that.

Tell me some of your nostalgic memories from the 80's/90's and how you did in your first year :-B
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodpaul » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:40 am

Didn't play Roto but we did play Earl Weaver baseball and MANUALLY (about 2hours) entered the Players Stats for the Computer to sim. Cool Graphics kept stats standings and all. We even held drafts in the lobby of our dorm. Man those were fun days was it really 12-13 years ago :~(

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Fantasy Nostalgia

Postby BeSquare » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:37 am

I started in 1988. We had a five-team league, using only the N.L. East teams at that time. Seems like Delino DeDhields was the big catch at that first auction. Anyway, we had no stat service. I would get the morning paper and compile our stats by hand from the daily boxscores. It was a great start, and I've enjoyed roto ball ever since.
A bad three minutes at the auction can cost you three months worth of research!
BeSquare
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:38 am

I didn't play until yahoo had fantasy baseball. I'm not sure what year that was..
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby princethomas » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:51 pm

Mydad and his buddies played in 86 and 87. I was 11. They all went to the sports bar and drafted and met there every week to do stats and make trades and stuff. Hed let me come a long sometimes I was a stat nut as a little kid.

Last year I played on Yahoo for the first time. Im 28 one of my friends in the league is 21. I told him about my dad and he was freakedout. He thought that the fantasy baseball was pretty much invented with the internet.
-T
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Moondog » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:03 pm

1988 was our first year and we drafted 1 player at each position, a right handed SP, a left handed SP, and a closer.

We manually did the stats, usually about twice a month, and got the stats from the Sunday Detroit News.

I recall picking Dave Stewart, Jim Abbott, and a pick that killed me and I still hear about it to this day....SAM HORN.

We had 10 teams and the draft was always a blast.
Moondog

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:17 pm

Jim Abbott - nice. The one armed wonder. I went to school with his brother. Talk about a success story.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jbird669 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:46 pm

When I started Roto, I was in 7th greade (1992). I went home after school and did stats by hand!!! Then I wrote the results once a week real nice, made copies and handed them to the owners. In the summer, I did it before anything else, and since we all hung out, I handed them the reports. I was mad happy when the 'Net came along!
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Get this one

Postby OldeTowneTeamGuy » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:49 pm

I started fantasy baseball back in '87 with an outfit from upstate NY called Baseball Fantastic. Crazy how you'd mail your starting lineup in weekly with any free agent additions and trades made throughout the week.

In that day you had to call other guys on the phone to talk trade. As a 13 year old playing in the league my parents weren't happy when the phone bill came rolling in; neither were the other players when they found out they were losing to a 13 year old.
The Red Sox Win, The Red Sox Win, My Gramma can rest in peace, The Red Sox win
OldeTowneTeamGuy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:53 pm

First league I ever played was early 90's and we did everything through snail mail. Oh the agony now that I look back at it. :-D

Mailed in our starting rosters and free agent moves every week. Got standings in the mail every week. Biggest thing was to just keep track of who was currently availiable in the free agent pool.

Now with the internet, everything is so much faster and easier. Couldn't imagine doing it the old way again.

Almost forgot, there was a fee for playing when I started. Something small, like $20. I don't remember exactly, but it did cost money, and with the internet, it became free. Just another way the internet has made fantasy baseball better. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers