IDIOTIC COMMENT - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

IDIOTIC COMMENT

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

IDIOTIC COMMENT

Postby KULCAT » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:59 am

I hate to drag the Rose issue again but this article i just read had one very stupid line

Wriiten by somebody named Ringolsby at yahoo sports news

"SEVERAL READERS have hit on a key point of the argument for Pete Rose not being enshrined in the Hall of Fame, noting that, as the all-time leader in hits, Rose is a part of baseball history.

That's correct, and his accomplishment is duly noted in black and white. In fact, several items Rose used during his career are displayed in the Hall of Fame. Rose does not need to be enshrined to be recognized for his achievements".

So i guess we now should talk about how Rose´s bat had a wonderful career and how his glove gave it a 100% everytime IT went to the field. I wonder how many world series rings does that glove have or if the bat will go on a book tour signing his autobiography "Woodie, from the forest to the big leagues" and he would talk about how when he was young he just wanted to be a Xmas tree but then he found out IT had the ability to hover around the plate and hit the ball without anyone´s help.
I suppose being coherent is not needed to write a column this days. Seriously one thing is to say you dont want Rose on the HOF but another is to say is enough if his jockstrapp is there is just completely moronic!!
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: IDIOTIC COMMENT

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:06 am

KULCAT wrote:So i guess we now should talk about how Rose´s bat had a wonderful career and how his glove gave it a 100% everytime IT went to the field.

Here's what Hank Aaron once said about Pete:

"Does Pete hustle? Before the All-Star game he came into the clubhouse and took off his shoes and they ran another mile without him."

Maybe his shoes should be on the ballot. Then again, I don't think Hank meant it quite that way... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KULCAT » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:49 am

i think Aaron had some kinda riff with Rose. I use to bad mouth him way before the whole betting scandal. Does anybody know whats the deal with that?
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:23 am

I don't think that's idiotic at all, in fact it's pretty much my stance. I don't think Rose should ever, every be enshrined in the Hall of Fame (with a plaque), but his records and memorabilia should stay.

That seems rather rational to me.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:37 am

You cannot deny that a) Rose is an idiot; and b) he was one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Issue: how do you acknowledge b and not honour a?

Answer: Memorabilia. It's a half-assed solution but one that the public is keen to accept (McWire's 70 hr ball sold for $3M). The actual events are commemorated and acknowledged for the feats that they are, while the man is ostracized for being a tool.

On a tangent, I believe that putting Rose in the HOF would be against everyone's interests, Rose included. Putting him in would be the wrong message for MLB to send etc...And if he got in people would forget about Rose. If there is one thing that Rose likes, its attention. A sure-fire HOFer on the outside screaming to get in makes him unique and an interesting topic of conversation. If he gets in he becomes just a sad old man that people will soon forget.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:37 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I don't think that's idiotic at all, in fact it's pretty much my stance. I don't think Rose should ever, every be enshrined in the Hall of Fame (with a plaque), but his records and memorabilia should stay.

That seems rather rational to me.

I don't think he should get any monetary gain from being in the Hall but I do think he was a very important part of baseball during his era that should be remembered.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

rose should be in the HOF

Postby baseball_playa18 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:01 pm

betting on the game is wrong, but so is doing drugs, domestic abuse and things of that nature which have been committed by other members of the Hall. Pete is no worse and is actually a lot better than a lot of the player in it
baseball_playa18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:36 pm

Why dont we look at the facts. If Michael Jackson is convicted or even if not, and he comes out and admits he is a child molester do we say that he gets into the Rock N Roll hall of fame or some other recognition like a lifetime acheivement Grammy or something because of his musicical talents. The answer is HELL NO. What Pete did was as wrong as wrong can be. The bleeding heart stuff about being weak or gambling being a disease is crap. I feel for people with issues dont get me wrong. And I certainly think they should get help. But at the end of the day each person is responsible for their own actions. What ever your particular issue is, be it family abuse or drugs or cigarettes or too much birthday cake. You either take responsibilty and deal with the consequences or your hide out. Not only did Pete commit the acts and hide for years by lying, but he thinks his finally coming forward is some magnanimous gesture. Bottom line is he disgraced the sport and for that he should not get in. He broke the biggest rule in baseball and is a liar. After all, sports only exist because of the fans. In front of the fans your life, including your personal problems become a part of who you are. Unfortunately there is no separation. To be sure there are guys in the HOF who were not saints. The differences between a Lou Gehrig and a Babe Ruth everyone knows. But in Pete you have someone who broke baseball law and then lied. Idont think even his shoes or his bat should be in there. One last aside, I think any player who gets caught using steroids should be banned for life as well. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This is just mine. I am sure there are merits to the other side as well. Thats why the USA is great, because we each have the freedom to put forth a point of view. Out

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby swarmee » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:But in Pete you have someone who broke baseball law and then lied. Idont think even his shoes or his bat should be in there.

Here's the rub: according to the HOF ballots, if a player is put on the ballot, they are to be judged for membership based on what happened on and off the field WHEN THEY WERE PLAYERS. Since Pete did not gamble while he was a player, he should be in the HOF. Now if he was trying to go in as a manager, it would apply for his managerial days, and in that case he shouldn't make it into the Hall as a manager. But based on the rules governing entry into the HOF, he's a lock if his name is put on the ballot next year.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:59 pm

Swarmee, you are one person here whose opinion I value. However I dont think he gets on the ballot and if he does, I dont think he gets the vote. Looking at the narrow context of the HOF rules doesnt get him in, in my book. He did people arent going to care or be able to separate his playing years from the man like that. Just so I am clear here, I think Roses stats are definitely HOF and he "was" a HOF player. Its too bad he used his talents for evil instead of good. Quite honestly if he had fessed up in the beginning I would let him in as a player, but the lying for so many years and the lack of remorse or responsibility over the years is what keeps him out for me. I dont think even now he is really that apologetic, I think he want to seel books and make money.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers