What's up with Furcal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with Furcal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's up with Furcal?

Postby jetsfan1771 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Is the man playing hurt or something? The average is finally better thanks to that 12-15ish run a few weeks ago, but there's absolutely no power and he's not running anywhere near the rate he has in the past. I don't know what to do with him anymore.
jetsfan1771
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's up with Furcal?

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:01 pm

See link below in the injury section -- in short, yes he is playing with a nagging ankle injury which has slowed him and sapped his power. Sure he is a second half player. But will it be to late to generate any real value? I have a bad feeling about this.

Right now he's Jason Bartlett without the power. :o

viewtopic.php?t=298539
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chipper » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:40 pm

He's a mediocre hitter who doesn't have a leadoff mentality at the plate.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jetsfan1771 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:02 pm

chipper wrote:He's a mediocre hitter who doesn't have a leadoff mentality at the plate.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure he's been leading off for most if not all of his career. Combine that with the fact he batted 2nd for a good portion of the year and the problem doesn't look like a lack of leadoff mentality. I know he isn't the best hitter but still he's hit double digit homers each of the past 4 years with 25+ steals to go along with it. That's all im asking for.
jetsfan1771
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Actually, the reason for his SB stats thus far is not only due to injury, but also due to the type of hitters behind him in the lineup. Nomar, Pierre (sometimes) and Kent are not very patient hitters, thus Furcal's SB opportunities are few and far between. He has always been a streaky hitter, so I wouldn't worry about the Avg. since he always hits around .280-.300, but the addition of Pierre should continue to hurt his SB numbers.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mrider » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:24 pm

I think that he has drastically gone down hill from last year. His production is a lot hitter and he will probably end up hitting like 280 with 30 steals which is decent but no where the price people paid for him.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:58 pm

I have been very dissapointed this season with him. His Slugging % is an awful .356 but has been above .410 the last 4 years so that leaves room for optimism. Hopefully that ankle gets better and he starts hitting the gaps more often. Also, a good point made by Falco. Because Pierre is so used to being the leadoff man and swinging whenever he wants, he is ruining steal opps for Furcal. I wish there was a stat kept for balls hit inplay/fouled off while a runner was a ttempting to steal, that would help indicate the severity of this situation.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby chipper » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:05 pm

jetsfan1771 wrote:
chipper wrote:He's a mediocre hitter who doesn't have a leadoff mentality at the plate.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure he's been leading off for most if not all of his career. Combine that with the fact he batted 2nd for a good portion of the year and the problem doesn't look like a lack of leadoff mentality. I know he isn't the best hitter but still he's hit double digit homers each of the past 4 years with 25+ steals to go along with it. That's all im asking for.

Just because he hits leadoff..... does not mean he has the correct approach and mentality to be a good leadoff guy.

I've been a lifelong Braves fan, and I can't tell you how many times he would go up hacking at the first pitch, and/or taking a rip the size a 3-4 hitter would. I just don't think he has the optimal mentality and approach to be a top leadoff guy (which is what most people are expecting when they draft him).
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Your point is valid chipper, but people dont draft furcal because he hits leadoff. They draft him because he hits for a solid average, steals alot of bases, scores alot of runs, and has good power unlike many other speedsters out here.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Element » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:50 pm

As soon as Pierre was acquired, you knew that Furcal's SB numbers were going to take a hit. But he looks lost at the plate right now too. He can't seem to lay off the high fastball and you can tell that he is getting extremely frustrated. He's a vet though and year to year is one of the more consistant players in baseball. He'll turn it around at some point. Solid buy low guy right now.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers