Giants and their fans! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Giants and their fans!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Giants and their fans!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:49 pm

eftda wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:The Dodgers/Giants rivalry ever since it came to California is pretty intense (I could imagine more so when both teams were situated in NY), but I think aside from a few incidents (i.e. a Giants fan being killed by a Dodger fan in '03, Steve Finley's walk-off pennant-winning grand slam in '04), the rivalry isn't that unfriendly, in my opinion. You'll still hear trash talk or harsh words exchanged between Dodger and Giants fans at the games that turns into a matter of why Norcal is better than Socal and vice versa, but that's all really. I remember when I was in college, campus seemed to be flooded with Giants fans and/or Norcal natives and it seemed like some or most of them were so snobbish, they didn't want to mix any verbal jabs at you. While there's a rivalry, I find that there's this prevailing Californian attitude of "I won't mess with you if you don't mess with me" which kind of waters down the intensity of it all. But that's just me, seeing how I look at soccer rivalries in Europe and South America as the yardstick as to what makes a rivalry filled with bad blood.

Giants fans are snobbish because they didn't mix any verbal jabs??? %6

I said, "some or most" of the kids I knew back in college from Norcal, from my experience, just seemed disinterested for a healthy verbal fight. They'll say something like "L.A. sucks", leave it at that, and regard whatever else you say afterwards as thin air. Other than that, I've met Giants fans who do like to mix it up, thankfully, which does add vitality and health to a rivalry.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:43 am

The Giants/Dodgers is a healthy rivalry (outside of that kid getting stabbed a few years back), not unlike the Cubs/Cards. Probably not as much as it used to be, but it is still a big game between the two clubs and their fans.

If MLB really wanted to create a good rivalry, they would put the Giants in the AL and the Angels in the NL.
Then ..Then .. it would be on!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:20 am

Tavish wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Go into the Game Commentary forum during a Yanks/Sox game if you want to see how authentic that rivalry is. !+) B-)

I'd rather punch myself in the face.

Yeah I think I'd rather punch myself in the groin than listen to Red Sox and Yankees fans whine at each other constantly. Sometimes it's like these people are living in their own little world where there are only two baseball teams in MLB. :b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:25 am

teddy ballgame wrote:Go into the Game Commentary forum during a Yanks/Sox game if you want to see how authentic that rivalry is. !+) B-)

Authentic? Or pathetic?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 am

X-I no thanks :D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:44 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I'd rather punch myself in the face.

Yeah I think I'd rather punch myself in the groin than listen to Red Sox and Yankees fans whine at each other constantly. Sometimes it's like these people are living in their own little world where there are only two baseball teams in MLB. :b

People keep saying that yet non-fans of those 2 teams keep entering those threads. Not necessarily you but I find that very interesting.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to General Talk