Jorge Julio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jorge Julio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jorge Julio

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:13 am

What are your thoughts on this kid? Young guy, I picked him in my keeper league. Had a good rookie year, but then his ERA jumped up a bit in his 2nd year.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:22 am

he's never gonna have a great ERA or whip, but he throws hard and will get plenty of ops with the upgrades that baltimore has made. he's good for 35 saves this year, but you'll take a hit for his ERA. overall, worth a spot as a 2nd closer in a 12 team league. if baltimore ever gets some pitchers he could gain more value.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:03 am

tlef316 wrote:he's never gonna have a great ERA or whip, but he throws hard and will get plenty of ops with the upgrades that baltimore has made. he's good for 35 saves this year, but you'll take a hit for his ERA. overall, worth a spot as a 2nd closer in a 12 team league. if baltimore ever gets some pitchers he could gain more value.

I agree with Travis 100%
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby stumpak » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:06 am

The Orioles aren't happy with him as a long-term solution. At any point this season, he could be a few bad outings away from losing his job. It's easy to see him getting traded later in the season to bolster the bullpen of a contender in a non-closer role once the Orioles are out of it. He's not a bad option as a 2nd or 3rd closer, just keep in mind that there are some risks involved.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steve Kemp » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:51 pm

He throws gas, but you know what gas does....boom....

And Cambden is not pitcher friendly. I had him last year and was really up and down. 10 games...lights out...10 games...kerosene. That said, the closer position is looking more and more cloudy every day. I've lost count how many CBC's are potentially out there. He's a solid tier 2 closer...He'll get 35-40 saves, but you wake up some mornings wanting to put him on waivers...be ready
Alan Trammell should be in the Hall
Steve Kemp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bullets » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:23 pm

julio is more like C4. stay away.

as an O's fan i watched multiple debacles last year, against the yankees in particular. julio will be on a short leash becuase angelos spent a lot of money to win. giving him a lead is scary, even when he gets a save. control is a major issue.

i may draft him in desperation for saves. he is basically a 1-cat player. his ERA and WHIP are atrocious, and from my experiences with jose jiminez, you might as well save your other categories. ideally the bullpen should lower your ERA and WHIP, not destroy them.
Bullets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:41 pm

I don't think his era/whip will be as bad as '03, but not as good as '02. Somewhere in the middle with around 35 saves.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mikcou » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:14 pm

Madison wrote:I don't think his era/whip will be as bad as '03, but not as good as '02. Somewhere in the middle with around 35 saves.

I agree here he will be able to lower his WHIP and ERA some this year and get some more saves :-D
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers