Anyone ever have a "perfect" draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone ever have a "perfect" draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone ever have a "perfect" draft?

Postby nsulham » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:34 am

By "perfect" I mean you walk away from your draft feeling good and confident about EVERY player you selected, even the garbage-time picks.

I know almost every year there are picks I look at not even an hour after the draft and say "What was I thinking picking this guy?"

This year, I'm striving for Perfection. Not a single pick will be wasted.

"Perfect" also means not reaching for players and instead drafting players at the optimum spot in the draft they should be taken. I know that's relative to everyone's specific tastes but I for example, would think Brandon Webb in round 5 would be a reach and thus would destroy my "perfect" draft but if he were to fall to the middle rounds and I selected him, it'd be gravy.

Anyone ever felt good about all their picks and attained the elusive "perfect" draft?

(Of course a month into the season half your roster could get injured and your season is shot to hell but the important thing for the sake of this topic is how it looks on draft day)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tool069c » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:37 am

Last year I took J.LO with my first pick...my life hasnt been the same since...It's almost as if the rest of my fantasy life draft didnt matter...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:43 am

My first team I ever drafted, I walked away thinking it was perfect. Then the season started and I came to the realization that I didn't know crap! Other than that I've always had at least 2 or 3 picks I was either worried about, or that I wanted to throw back because I needed a roster spot for another player I had to let slip by.

But I'm never happy with my rosters anyway. I'm usually in the top 2-3 teams in trades and moves made during the season.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby tlef316 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:03 am

i had the perfect draft in a yahoo public basketball league this year. i was bored on a wed. night, signed up for a league, and only 1 other person showed up for the draft. needless to say my team is loaded and i lead the league by 15 games. i got carmello anthony in the last round. i know it was lame, but it was really funny seing the players keep falling to me.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moose » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:51 am

BigLebowski wrote:My first team I ever drafted, I walked away thinking it was perfect. Then the season started and I came to the realization that I didn't know crap! Other than that I've always had at least 2 or 3 picks I was either worried about, or that I wanted to throw back because I needed a roster spot for another player I had to let slip by.

But I'm never happy with my rosters anyway. I'm usually in the top 2-3 teams in trades and moves made during the season.

I thought the same thing! First off it was 2001..... I drafted Nomar with the 9th overall pick, ahead of much, much better players. Then he breaks his wrist and ends up playing 12 games. I finished 5th outof 16 becuase I took Green and Sexson. Both had huge bust-out years. Had Mussina and break-out Matt Morris. Although I drafted Mike Hampton too. (duh) Bit I Really lucked out nailing guys who were about to have career years. I just think if I had picked Manny with the 9th, I would have won the damn thing.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonnyblack » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:58 am

I've said this here before.

Last year, I was getting ready to draft keith foulke in round seven after a closer run where i had snagged, rolen and j. schmidt. Right as I was clicking on foulke, in yahoo's alphabetical list, my pc hiccupped, i was clicking when I was John Franco's Name highlighted then drafted (I double clicked). Boy, did I hear it from the league. 3 picks later, foulke was off the board.

Some other of my interesting picks of that draft.

Ray durham in the 6th
Mike Williams in the 8th
Alfonseca in the 9th!!!!!!!
Horrible, when I look at it now.

Also junk drafted Alan Embree, and Casey Fossum (Thinking ole Epstein was on to something when he wouldn't let the young lefty go.) I hate to admit it, BUT FREAKIN ROGER CEDENO started the season on that team. (no games). One good pick was renteria in the 11th.

So I got second out of twelve, but it took a lot of in-season clawing to get to the top (5x5 Roto). I held the lead from about the first of august to mid-september. then we kept swapping place on a daily basis for bout a week. And he pulled away for the win.

We all know that it is quite possible to make a fatal error on a draft and still win a league.

As Far as a perfect draft, in 2001 I got shilling in the 8TH Round, that was sweet, also on that team were pudge, Louis Gonzoles (57 HR) Mike Mussina, Kevin Brown, Trevor Hoffman. Not that all-stars mean anything in fantasy, but at the break in 2001, i had twelve all-stars on my roster. I didn't win all the categories (5x5 yahoo roto) but I won with 115 points. Second place miles away. That's as close as I've ever come.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby moose » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:31 am

OMG! Thats hilarious about Franco! Wow! :-b That sucks....ouch.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:07 am

Yes, I've had perfect drafts where I was happy with every pick. Of course, those were usually in keeper leagues where I had around $3 to spend on two players and had figured out beforehand which guys would fall to me, so I guess that doesn't really count... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:43 am

I wouldn't say I've had a perfect draft, but with more experience I get decent feel for what prices will be in my league. In 2002 my team shaped up almost exactly as I had planned. My year didn't though, as I finished 5th out of 20 teams.

In about 1997 our 20 team keeper league had it's only wire-to-wire runaway winner. The guy drafted Larry Walker and Curt Schilling just in time for their huge breakout years. I don't know if his draft was perfect, but his year was.

Speaking of perfect seasons, in around 1995 we had a guy that went on a 2-year plan from the outset for the first time in our history. He drafted Ron Gant and some reliever..???...that were out for nearly the entire year for cheap.

The next season he won the league with making ONLY TWO TRANSACTIONS! I still can't believe it considering how deep and competitive our league is. That takes luck with injuries, but even when he had a minor one he chose to not pick up a guy thinking it would just hurt him in the non-cumulative categories. I rarely agree with that strategy, but it worked for him.

A few teams have tried a 2-year plan since then and have been complete failures.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:46 am

Last year, my draft worked out pretty good. I got just about every player I targeted in the round I expected, and walked away feeling pretty good. Still, about one-third of those guys never really contributed. Just goes to show that the draft is important, but you still gotta manage your team. I challenged for first most of the year, then took over and pulled away the last two months. Here's hoping I can repeat :-)
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers