The Business of Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Business of Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Business of Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Forbes recently published profit/loss numbers for every Major League Ball Club. Interesting to see just how much some of these teams are pulling in versus what they're spending on their product.

According to the article, the only team to net a loss in 2006 was the New York Yankees. There is an article regarding the YES Network and the Yankee's supposed losses HERE and a thread concerning the article in the Yankee Forum HERE, so let's not limit our discussion here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Business of Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:47 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Forbes recently published profit/loss numbers for every Major League Ball Club. Interesting to see just how much some of these teams are pulling in versus what they're spending on their product.

According to the article, the only team to net a loss in 2006 was the New York Yankees. There is an article regarding the YES Network and the Yankee's supposed losses HERE and a thread concerning the article in the Yankee Forum HERE, so let's not limit our discussion here.

Nice Article Hort. This is why i love when teams say that they don't have the money to spend with the rest of the league, the fact is they do, but it will cut into there profit. Now the Rays front office has said that they are putting the profits into an account and will use it to re-sign our young stars and go out and sign FA when needed, but i will believe it when i see it.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jswede » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:43 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:This is why i love when teams say that they don't have the money to spend with the rest of the league, the fact is they do, but it will cut into there profit.

from where do you decipher this?
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Forbes recently published profit/loss numbers for every Major League Ball Club. Interesting to see just how much some of these teams are pulling in versus what they're spending on their product.

Nice Article Hort. This is why i love when teams say that they don't have the money to spend with the rest of the league, the fact is they do, but it will cut into there profit. Now the Rays front office has said that they are putting the profits into an account and will use it to re-sign our young stars and go out and sign FA when needed, but i will believe it when i see it.

Yeah it's great when you see the league leaders in profits made are the Marlins and the Nationals or something. TB has been notorious for not spending and being greedy (wasn't your last owner or GM under fire?), but it looks like they are starting to get competitive again.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:12 pm

jswede wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:This is why i love when teams say that they don't have the money to spend with the rest of the league, the fact is they do, but it will cut into there profit.

do you not see the profits? Fact is some, like the Marlins are making 40 million in profits, the Rays at 20 million

SA- Yea the old regime was under fire for under spending and taking the profits. This is why you need a salary cap, its not to have cap, but to create a floor. When football put it in place, hugh Culverhouse sold the Bucs b/c he did not want to spend what the salary floor was and the Glazers took over b/c they were fine with spending the money and look how that turned out for us
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:24 pm

Where's the standard disclaimer that MLB teams do NOT release this information and that Forbes puts it together on their own, h0rt?

O:)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby jswede » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:29 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
jswede wrote:

do you not see the profits? Fact is some, like the Marlins are making 40 million in profits, the Rays at 20 million

my point was that this is a snap shot - having $40mil profit one year can be due to a happenstance of events, including contracts for players and stadiums, that come together for a season.

The Marlins, for example, since you brought them up, lost $12mil in 2006.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:39 pm

jswede wrote:
my point was that this is a snap shot - having $40mil profit one year can be due to a happenstance of events, including contracts for players and stadiums, that come together for a season.

The Marlins, for example, since you brought them up, lost $12mil in 2006.

and where did you get that? Just curious b/c Forbes has 40 million :? that article was talking about the 2006 numbers
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jswede » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:42 pm

Sorry - meant 2006 article, so for 2005:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Value_1.html

EDIT: while we are at it...

Forber2002

Forbes2003

Forbes2004

Forbes2005
Last edited by jswede on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:48 pm

jswede wrote:Sorry - meant 2006 article, so for 2005:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Value_1.html

Ok so they lost 12 mill, but then gained 43 mill, still looks like a 32 mill profit over 2 years, most would be happy with a buisness like that. The point i am trying to make is that sports Franchises are not supposed to be run to make huge profits. i know it is a buisness, but IMO they should be as close as possible to breaking even IF that makes them able to win. What i get tired of hearing is that people cannot compete b/c they don't have the money, the fact is they do, but refuse to cut into there long term profit.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers