Idea for the Rays- thoughts?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Idea for the Rays- thoughts??

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Idea for the Rays- thoughts??

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:04 pm

Ok so the Rays are looking to trade and we have some great inf talent coming up. My question is why not do this:

Starting 2008

C- Riggins/Jaso/Navarro
1B- Pena
2B- Utpon
SS- Harris -- Brignac later
3B- Aki or Evan
LF- Crawford
CF- Rocco
RF- Delmon
DH- Aki or Evan or Rocco or Upton

The DH can rotate to allow Aki to play 3B/2B, Upton to play 2B/OF, Evan to play 3B/2B/maybe 1B, Rocco to DH/CF. With the young arms we have, why trade Rocco????? We can keep everyone and have a sick offense and a nice staff?

Thoughts?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Idea for the Rays- thoughts??

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:41 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Ok so the Rays are looking to trade and we have some great inf talent coming up. My question is why not do this:

Starting 2008

C- Riggins/Jaso/Navarro
1B- Pena
2B- Utpon
SS- Harris -- Brignac later
3B- Aki or Evan
LF- Crawford
CF- Rocco
RF- Delmon
DH- Aki or Evan or Rocco or Upton

The DH can rotate to allow Aki to play 3B/2B, Upton to play 2B/OF, Evan to play 3B/2B/maybe 1B, Rocco to DH/CF. With the young arms we have, why trade Rocco????? We can keep everyone and have a sick offense and a nice staff?

Thoughts?

Two problems I see with this lineup.

Pena is not that good, and Baldelli better grow up fast to be the leader of the team in the clubhouse by next year, because that is one young yet promising lineup. I think I would be safe and have me another option for 1b just in case Pena bombs next year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:53 am

What do you think of Evan playing 1B? we have AKi at 3B and Rocco in CF, Upton could play 2B and Evan could play 1B, he is a big kid :?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:05 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:What do you think of Evan playing 1B? we have AKi at 3B and Rocco in CF, Upton could play 2B and Evan could play 1B, he is a big kid :?

I think I'd try to package Dukes and Navarro to ATL for Salty. ATL may be interested in Dukes if Jones bails via FA.

I wouldn't put Evan at the 1B slot because we are already power challenged at 3B, and traditionally those two positions are earmarked for power. I love Aki's defense and spark, but the lack of power and the propensity for injury (based on his limited MLB experience) would serve as a basis for me to start Evan at 2B and keep him as a backup for 3B. Evan's still developing in the power department.

BJ is a natural fit for CF, which leaves Rocco as DH. Less stress on his body, maybe we can keep him healthy for a full year.

I'd try to package Cantu and Gomes to the Brewers for some MR help. Villaneuava may be expendable if Gallardo becomes the stud they think he could be, with Vargas moving to the pen. Rickie Weeks is a walking ER trauma center, so having a Cantu in reserve might not be such a bad idea, and the band box of a stadium the Brewers play in might be a great fit for Gomes.

So I guess my '08 lineup would look like this:

Aki 3B
BJ CF
CC LF
Pena 1B
Evan 2B
Rocco DH
Delmon RF
Salty C
Harris/Brignac SS

Staff:
Kazmir
Shields
Price (mid season callup)
Sonnastine
Niemann

Pen:
Villaneuava
Howell
Hammel
Seth
Possum...I mean Fossum
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:39 pm

SCR- yea that was kind of my point of keeping Rocco and BJ on the team at the same time. My thought was why are we so quick to trade one of the other, why not keep em. The Braves are interesting, rumor is they are going after Griff to play RF this season and move to CF when Jones is gone.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 pm

The Braves can literally steal Dukes for next to nothing, send him to Richmond to work out his problems and not be a liability on the MLB roster. Probably good for everyone, assuming Duke's latest fiasco does not land him in jail. Do the Braves want to pay Griffey that kind of dough? He is getting up there in age and is another injury risk. Perhaps ATL can still grab Griffey for a couple of years and groom Dukes to take over down the road. Outside of his (Dukes) enormous personal issues, he does have enormous potential. Maybe we throw in a low A pitching prospect to sweeten the deal. The Braves love pitching.

What are the prospects of doing a deal with Milwaukee for MR help?
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:39 pm

scr wrote:The Braves can literally steal Dukes for next to nothing, send him to Richmond to work out his problems and not be a liability on the MLB roster. Probably good for everyone, assuming Duke's latest fiasco does not land him in jail. Do the Braves want to pay Griffey that kind of dough? He is getting up there in age and is another injury risk. Perhaps ATL can still grab Griffey for a couple of years and groom Dukes to take over down the road. Outside of his (Dukes) enormous personal issues, he does have enormous potential. Maybe we throw in a low A pitching prospect to sweeten the deal. The Braves love pitching.

Not sure. We are working on Wiggy to the Twins for MR help at the moment. I am unsure the Braves would want Navarro with Dukes though, they already have McCann which is why they need to get rid of Salty.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:45 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
scr wrote:The Braves can literally steal Dukes for next to nothing, send him to Richmond to work out his problems and not be a liability on the MLB roster. Probably good for everyone, assuming Duke's latest fiasco does not land him in jail. Do the Braves want to pay Griffey that kind of dough? He is getting up there in age and is another injury risk. Perhaps ATL can still grab Griffey for a couple of years and groom Dukes to take over down the road. Outside of his (Dukes) enormous personal issues, he does have enormous potential. Maybe we throw in a low A pitching prospect to sweeten the deal. The Braves love pitching.

Not sure. We are working on Wiggy to the Twins for MR help at the moment. I am unsure the Braves would want Navarro with Dukes though, they already have McCann which is why they need to get rid of Salty.

I figured Dioneer as a backup for McCann.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Yea i guess that would work, b/c thats what Dioner is at best a backup :b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero