Studies show Death Penalty works - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Studies show Death Penalty works

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Studies show Death Penalty works

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 pm

Coppermine wrote:NPR's "All Things Considered" has been running an amazing story this week about Larry Peterson, a man accused and convicted of a 1987 rape and murder of a young woman. He was sentenced to 40 years in prison based on witness testimony and hairs found at the crime scene that "compared" to Peterson's using the available technology of the time. It wasn't until 2005 that the evidence was re-examined using DNA evidence, effectively clearing Peterson of the crime... after 17 years in prison. Now the state of New Jersey says they don't owe him a thing.

It's an interesting story and quite amazing; but there are a lot of people in jail right now convicted based on evidence used prior to DNA testing, many of which have not been re-tried. Others have already been executed. Certainly not all of them are innocent, but it's hard to imagine how many may be.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=10961075

The Book the Innocent Man is about basically the same thing except it was 2 guys and one got Death, but was exonerated with DNA evidence.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:47 am

wrveres wrote:Just because 2 or 3 people a year are mistakingly convicted is no reason to let the other 14,997 people go live with their buddies and watch color tv 24-7 while having meals prepared for them and all their health concerns attended too.
I am not buying it.

This is flawed logic. Just because someone is against the death penalty doesn't mean they are in favor of the maintaining the status quo in the prison system. I'm against capital punishment, but I would be in favor of keeping convicted muderers in some kind of solitary confinement with no TV privileges, a bread and water diet (maybe no literally bread and water, but just enough to maintain health), one hour a day of supervised excercise, isolated from other inmates, etc.

Someone can be against the death penalty, and against the pampering of convicts.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:23 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
wrveres wrote:Just because 2 or 3 people a year are mistakingly convicted is no reason to let the other 14,997 people go live with their buddies and watch color tv 24-7 while having meals prepared for them and all their health concerns attended too.
I am not buying it.

This is flawed logic. Just because someone is against the death penalty doesn't mean they are in favor of the maintaining the status quo in the prison system. I'm against capital punishment, but I would be in favor of keeping convicted muderers in some kind of solitary confinement with no TV privileges, a bread and water diet (maybe no literally bread and water, but just enough to maintain health), one hour a day of supervised excercise, isolated from other inmates, etc.

Someone can be against the death penalty, and against the pampering of convicts.

I agree.

If I can semi-hijack, I would like to go back to the belief that some people believe that the death penalty shouldn't be used because it isn't a deterrant. It isn't?? If 1 person is deterred, that's enough for me. I am also for the punishment fitting the crime.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:46 pm

I agree. I think it's safe to say that it's at least as much as a deterrent as life in prison.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:28 pm

I just ran across an interesting statistic.

Number of U.S. priosoners freed through DNA evidence since 1989: 201
Percentage of those who had been mistakenly identified by eyewitnesses: 77
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:30 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I just ran across an interesting statistic.

:o thats a little sacrey! I just hope I'm not in the "right" place at the wrong time!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:09 pm

How many were on death row?? I would also like to reiterate that I am only in favor of the death penalty in instances where there is absolutely no doubt. Those cases may or may not be few and far between and I am fine with that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:20 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

How many were on death row?? I would also like to reiterate that I am only in favor of the death penalty in instances where there is absolutely no doubt. Those cases may or may not be few and far between and I am fine with that.

I don't know the answer. I think what the statistic does, however, is show the staggering amount that eyewitnesses are wrong. It may be that the only time we are absolutely without doubt are times where the criminal confesses, we have eyewitnesses, and we have corroborating DNA evidence.

Not very often, actually.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:54 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I don't know the answer. I think what the statistic does, however, is show the staggering amount that eyewitnesses are wrong. It may be that the only time we are absolutely without doubt are times where the criminal confesses, we have eyewitnesses, and we have corroborating DNA evidence.

Not very often, actually.

I don't think that number is staggering at all.
You don't even know if those were murder convictions, or even death penalty cases. On top of that it is only 77 cases over an 18 year period versus probably 1 million plus convictions over that same period.
How is that staggering?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
I am not buying it.

I will agree with you.
But in reality, what you propose will never happen.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk