USA Today: 25 Greatest Sports Stories of The Last 25 Years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

USA Today: 25 Greatest Sports Stories of The Last 25 Years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

USA Today: 25 Greatest Sports Stories of The Last 25 Years

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Baseball owns 9 of the Top 25, and 5 of the Top 10...

1. Red Sox Win World Series

It took 86 years, included insufferable losses to the hated New York Yankees and monumental gaffes seemingly replayed constantly, but the Fenway Park faithful finally danced in the streets when their beloved Boston Red Sox won the 2004 World Series in a sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals. Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Curt Schilling, et al., ended the agony that tormented Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Luis Tiant, et al. And who knows? This could be their year, too!

2. Ripken breaks record

On Sept. 6, 1995, with President Clinton in attendance, Oriole Park at Camden Yards rocked when native son Cal Ripken Jr. broke the ironman record of 2,130 consecutive games played set by the Iron Horse, Lou Gehrig. With a home run for good measure, and a midgame romp around the field, Ripken helped restore luster to a sport torn apart by the 1994-95 players strike and subsequent owners lockout. The streak of 2.632 consecutive games played ran from May 30, 1982 to Sept. 19, 1998. Ripken enters the Hall of Fame on July 29.

5. BALCO-steroids in baseball

The celebration of ballooning home -run figures from the last decade of the 20th century into the early years of the 21st gives way to the dirty little secret of untested ballplayers taking advantage of substances boosting their natural talents. The innocence of the nation’s pastime devolves into the steroid era.

6. 1998 home run chase

In hindsight, the world followed the mammoth marathon to immortality through rose-colored glasses. Mark McGwire, a playful giant of a man, and Sammy Sosa, whose hop out of the batter’s box signaled another long ball smacked, battled through the summer to surpass Roger Maris’ season record of 61 homers set in 1961. McGwire does it first and finishes as the leader with 70; Sosa hits 66.

10. Pete Rose banned

Baseball’s all-time hits leader (4,256) bet on the game while managing the Cincinnati Reds and accepted a lifetime ban from then-commissioner Bart Giamatti in August 1989. Rose became a pariah, reduced to autograph shows at any and all venues — except inside a major league park. The player excluded even from consideration for the Hall of Fame denied for almost 15 years that he bet on baseball, then acknowledged it in his January 2004 autobiography.

13. Kirk Gibson walk-off homer

Two outs, bottom of the ninth, man on first for the Los Angeles Dodgers, future Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley on the mound for the Oakland Athletics. Gibson, soon to be named NL MVP, is summoned to pinch-hit despite hamstring and knee problems. He works the count to 3-2. Jack Buck makes the TV call: “Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field. This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game 5-4. I don’t believe what I just saw. I don’t believe what I just saw.” Gibson’s only at-bat of the Series sends the Dodgers on their way to winning the championship.

15. Bill Buckner error

If only Boston relievers could have held the 5-3 advantage with two outs in the bottom of the 10th inning of Game 6, the 1986 World Series would have been over and the Red Sox would have had their first title since 1918. But Calvin Schiraldi gave up three consecutive singles to make it 5-4. Bob Stanley relieved and threw a wild pitch, allowing in the tying run. Few remember all that. What is remembered: Mookie Wilson’s soft grounder down the first-base line that went underneath the glove and through the legs of sore-ankled Buckner, allowing Ray Knight to score the winning run for the New York Mets, who go on to win and take Game 7. Thus are born endless references to having a “Bill Buckner moment.”

19. Postponed by earthquake

Four minutes into ABC’s setup of Game 3 of the ’89 Bay Area World Series at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park, Al Michaels interrupts analyst Tim McCarver. “I’ll tell you what, we’re having an earth---!” he says before the signal gets knocked off the air. More than 60,000 fans and the rest of the city were rocked by the 7.1 earthquake, which collapsed part of the Bay Bridge. Michaels won a News Emmy for his coverage of the earthquake, which left 67 dead and did an estimated $6 billion in property damage. The World Series resumed 10 days later, won in a sweep by Oakland.

23. ’94 World Series canceled

The most high-profile strike in professional sports, beginning Aug. 12, 1994, cost baseball fans the ultimate enjoyment to any season — but cost the sport more in lost prestige, trust and adulation. The 232-day strike over issues regarding a salary cap, spanning the 1994 and ’95 seasons, was baseball’s eighth work stoppage but the first to wipe out the postseason.

FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: USA Today: 25 Greatest Sports Stories of The Last 25 Years

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Um this is another example of RedSox homerism.

A team that sucks forever finally wins and its better then Cal Ripken breaking the unbreakable record?

Weak :t

The only people who think that is #1 are Red Sox fans...who wrote this awful article

And Buckner??!?! Only a sox homer would write that in as being a Great Story. blah boooooooo
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby brandnew » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:22 pm

That would be #1 to me... Ripken's record was nice, but coming down 3-0 to the friggin' Yanks and winning the WS is a much bigger and better story.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:24 pm

brandnew wrote:That would be #1 to me... Ripken's record was nice, but coming down 3-0 to the friggin' Yanks and winning the WS is a much bigger and better story.

HUH!! how so...1 for 86 is bigger then the yanks at one time winning 3 in a row??

Its a terrible story. Its not a story its like an MTV story made up by the media to attract Sheep. Hmm well the Red sox fans are rabid so that makes this a good story.

Nothing against sox fans I admire your undying love for the team. But 1 team winning 1 world series is not a big deal especially since the Sox were probably the 2nd best team in baseball anyways.

If they had come back from 20 games down in a month to make the playoffs ok. And plus everyone knows the only reason the beat the yanks is because of 1. Dave Roberts and 2. The stupid 2 foot wall in right field which tony clark hit a Ground rule double over keeping the yankees from scoring the tying run.

Its a big story because the media is a bunch of sox homers.
Last edited by acsguitar on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby markj11 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:24 pm

13. Kirk Gibson walk-off homer

That game me chills reading it.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:
brandnew wrote:That would be #1 to me... Ripken's record was nice, but coming down 3-0 to the friggin' Yanks and winning the WS is a much bigger and better story.

HUH!! how so...1 for 86 is bigger then the yanks at one time winning 3 in a row??

Its a terrible story. Its not a story its like an MTV story made up by the media to attract Sheep.

The Yankees winning three in a row is not a big story because everyone expects the Yankees to win every year.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:33 pm

thedude wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Its a terrible story. Its not a story its like an MTV story made up by the media to attract Sheep.

The Yankees winning three in a row is not a big story because everyone expects the Yankees to win every year.

not true..The 90's victories were on the tail end of a horrible suckfest in NYC for the yankees
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:37 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I'd bet my account here, under penalty of permanent ban if wrong, on a wager that says you read less than 30% of the full article when posting that.

But I digress. It's nice to see baseball have such a prominent position in the list. #24 isn't much of one, but whatever. There's certainly some other events to think about, baseball and otherwise, based on people's replies to the article...

Chicago White Sox winning the 2005 World Series
OJ Simpson breaking rushing record
Florida Gators capturing dual championships
USC vs. Texas National Championship
Ohio State vs Miami in OT National Championship
USA Dream Team
'94, '95, '97 Nebraska National Champions
New England Patriots Super Bowl run
Duke Lacrosse
Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras...
Bob Knight is Fired from Indiana
George Mason
Emmit surpasses Sweetness

It's difficult to narrow the list down to 25, as endless snubs are going to be pointed out. I just thought it was interesting that baseball snagged 5 of the Top 10, 9 of the Top 25, when there wasn't a single NFL Moment (unless you consider the OJ Trial one).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I'd bet my account here, under penalty of permanent ban if wrong, on a wager that says you read less than 30% of the full article when posting that.

But I digress. It's nice to see baseball have such a prominent position in the list. #24 isn't much of one, but whatever. There's certainly some other events to think about, baseball and otherwise, based on people's replies to the article...

Chicago White Sox winning the 2005 World Series
OJ Simpson breaking rushing record
Florida Gators capturing dual championships
USC vs. Texas National Championship
Ohio State vs Miami in OT National Championship
USA Dream Team
'94, '95, '97 Nebraska National Champions
New England Patriots Super Bowl run
Duke Lacrosse
Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras...
Bob Knight is Fired from Indiana
George Mason
Emmit surpasses Sweetness

It's difficult to narrow the list down to 25, as endless snubs are going to be pointed out. I just thought it was interesting that baseball snagged 5 of the Top 10, 9 of the Top 25, when there wasn't a single NFL Moment (unless you consider the OJ Trial one).

A list of events really can't be classified as an article.

But I digress as well.

The "list" leaves off a ton of great events as you mentioned above smarty pants. And like other users on that site mentioned the "OJ Trial" is not a sporting event.

Also, ESPN Pervasiveness is not a sports story its a business/media story.

94 Series canceled blah. Postponed WS due to earthquake.

Its just not a very good list
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Athrun340 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:11 pm

this is a very debatable topic..
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340