Ben Grieve - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ben Grieve

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:19 pm

In an NL only league he is a very good $1 option to fill out your roster. I think he has potential to be your 4-5 OF in an NL only league. A mixed league you better not touch him.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:22 am

I agree that he was OVERhyped, but I can see why he was hyped in the first place.

For three consecutive years, 1998-2000, he averaged over 150 games, over 550 ab's, OBP over .350, 25 HR, and 90 RBI. That's pretty darn good. Apparently he hit a wall in his development.

I wasn't surprised that his stats went down in TB, but I was surprised that he regressed. I wonder if it was something in his head.

When we're talking about deep sleepers, isn't this the kinda guy we'd talk about? I mean what would we have told someone last year who said Jose Guillen was a good sleeper candidate? Guillen did jack squat in his career, while at least Grieve has shown something before, and not only that, but showed it consistently for three straight years.

If it is his head, I bet Milwaukee could be just the thing for him. Zero pressure. Maybe that's why Sexson could flourish. We have yet to see Sexson in a pressure environment :-o There was most definitely pressure on Grieve both in Oakland to be this super prospect turned stud, and in Tampa Bay for unrealistically being considered a possible offensive savior along with Greg Vaughn. :-t

Would it really be that surprising to see Grieve, if healthy, put together a season of 20 HR 80 RBI with a 350 OBP? As others have said, I think he would be a fine flyer in the late rounds in deep leagues. I mean how often can you get a flyer that plays full time? Okay, ....I'm assuming there :-D
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Madison » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:32 pm

I wouldn't draft him. If he shows something early in the season, maybe pick him up, but I wouldn't draft him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:52 pm

Lou pretty much labeled him as a player w/o heart. So F'em.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby GameOn » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:05 pm

Lou is an idiot. He thinks anyone who won't throw a temper tantrum doesn't have heart.

What happened was Grieve took strike three and went back to the dugout and lou asked him why he didn't swing. Grieve said it was a ball and lou got all pissed because grieve didn't throw a fit about it. Grieve just said I don't play like that. In my opinion, high class move by grieve ;-D and a low class move by lou for blasting his player in public :-t
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy_Gamer » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:20 pm

In my 16-team mixed, I might take him as a $1 and at the very best 7th OF. More likely, he'll start the year on waivers.
Fantasy_Gamer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:17 pm

I dunno GameOn...losing is way too accepted in Tampa and Lou is trying to turn that around. The hard-nosed guys will win for him. Thus, Ben is in Milwaukee. He should have barked a little at the ump that night. It was a big pitch because the Rays were in that game against the Yankees.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby GameOn » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:52 pm

Yeah but some players don't agree with yelling at the umps (would you tell Lou Gehrig to yell at the umps?), its called playing the game with a little class. Don't see too much of it in sports anymore
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Los Angeles Cubs » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:00 pm

I would have given a couple shouts to the ump just to show that
A. Because I thought it was a ball and because its the last pitch of the game he wouldnt be able to throw me out anyway.
and
B. To show that Im willing to fight for my team that needs something to get them at least to be not as embarrassing.

But I dont agree with Lou about how just because you get called out swinging you should have a fit.
Last edited by Los Angeles Cubs on Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cubs!
Los Angeles Cubs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swingaway » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:58 pm

oklobbyist wrote:Agree with all the above. Overhyped and overpaid.

agreeded
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers