100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hunter Pence

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hunter Pence

Postby Rounders » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:56 pm

Howie wrote:
AdvRider wrote:
bretnsid wrote:I'm having Pence withdrawals, can somebody give me some good news?

Um, he should be at full strength for spring training 2008 ... ? :-?

Let's face it, it's a wrist injury. Bad news. Look @ Weeks. Odds are only so-so that young Hunter can return to .330 form in say September. Maybe he can, but with the 'Stros out of the race, do they play their prized prospect full bore? Or baby him along to minimize chances of reaggravation and further damage? Heckuva run while it lasted tho...

I'm thinking this way as well. Especially if you're playing in a roto league and cant stash him for the playoffs. Is it worth holding onto Pence and getting one month of him at 75% of his old self, or dropping him for someone who is a little worse but will give you two months stats?

You're not necessarily going to get 2 months stats out of the guy you pick up. People already have someone to fill his spot in the starting roster (if not, they should drop him), so the question becomes - would you rather have a month of his stats, or a cycling of guys to plug in on Mondays and Thursdays for the next 2 months? I'll take my chances with Pence rather than a guy that's going to ride my bench most of the season (unless there's a closer on free agency).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby coldfusion » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:15 pm

I've been platooning in CF since Pence and then Victorino went down. I've used Chris B. Young, Lastings Milledge, Milton Bradley, Ryan Raburn, and now Adam Jones and haven't missed a beat since the DL trip for my regulars.
coldfusion
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dale Murphy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:39 pm

I'm pretty deep in the OF, pun intended, but did pick up Pence to stash on my bench. I think if you've got room for him, what's the harm in holding him and crossing your fingers for his return.

Wishful thinking has me saying he'll be back for the playoffs ;-D
Dale Murphy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sfgiantsfan8291 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:12 pm

coldfusion wrote:I've been platooning in CF since Pence and then Victorino went down. I've used Chris B. Young, Lastings Milledge, Milton Bradley, Ryan Raburn, and now Adam Jones and haven't missed a beat since the DL trip for my regulars.

I also have Pence and Victorino. It wasn't a problem for me when they got hurt because i have plenty of good outfielders- Carlos Lee, Granderson, Willy T, BJ Upton, Berkman as well. And now I have Justin Upton too.
sfgiantsfan8291
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AdvRider » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 am

Good news and bad news. From Rotowire 8/16:

Aug 16 Pence (wrist) should go on a rehab assignment this weekend if all goes well in Thursday's batting practice, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Recommendation: Whether he goes to Double-A Corpus Christi or Triple-A Round Rock depends on the weather, as Corpus Christi expects some bad conditions. He could return to the big club sometime next week.

But this later report in the Houston Chronicle suggests his return will be later than next week, though maybe not by much: :-?

Aug. 17, 2007, 12:55AM

Pence's rehab stint is delayed
Club says rookie is not ready yet despite practice

LOS ANGELES — Astros rookie center fielder Hunter Pence, on the disabled list with a sprained right wrist, had a productive batting practice Thursday at Dodger Stadium.

But he wasn't ready to earn clearance for a rehab assignment. He had held out hopes of starting a rehab assignment today at Class AA Corpus Christi, but he will stay with the club.

"He's not ready yet," Astros manager Phil Garner said. "But he was pretty sore (Wednesday). He had a big workout the day before. So he was sore, but he had a good bounce-back day (Thursday). He's probably ready to go, but it won't do us any good right now."

Pence will have another batting practice session today at Petco Park before the Astros start a three-game series against the San Diego Padres to see if he can be cleared to go on the rehab assignment Saturday. Full story
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby kev8821 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:05 pm

Looks like Pence is at AAA Round Rock and finished today 1-3 with a double. Best news I have heard in a while.

ROUND ROCK – Hunter Pence doubled and walked in his return to Round Rock, but it wasn’t nearly enough to help the Express overcome Nashville’s hitting spree.

The Sounds cranked out three home runs en route to a 9-2 win over Round Rock at The Dell Diamond. Pence, who spent 22 games with the Express before joining Houston in April, finished 1-for-3.

Pence, who went on the disabled list on July 23 with a wrist injury, doubled Danny Ardoin to third in the bottom of the sixth, setting Ardoin up for Round Rock’s first run on a Brooks Conrad sacrifice fly.
kev8821
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby ShawshankVA » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:47 am

after it sounded like they wouldnt send him on rehad assign. yet, glad to hear they did...wonder if Carlos Lee injury will hurry the call back up for Pence? that and with the semi early return, wonder if his wrist will hold up and that he will be starter worthy? fingers crossed
ShawshankVA
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hscsoph » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:21 pm

anyone find out if Pence will play tonight against the Nats? Thanks, I searched ESPN, rotoworld etc...
Montero MigCab Beckham Andrus Sandoval Lind J Upton Ellsbury Braun Markakis Willingham B Roberts B Anderson Ubaldo "no hit" Jimenez Nolasco F Cordero Rodney Morales Baker Matusz Lilly Marcum Scherzer Romero Porcello
hscsoph
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby champy41 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:14 pm

just heard on houston radio that pence IS playing tonight!!!
champy41
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtxdevil » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:38 pm

he's playing. A pleasant surprise.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext