Hamels Peeved at LoDuca - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hamels Peeved at LoDuca

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hamels Peeved at LoDuca

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:29 pm

smoovethug wrote:
joecahill wrote:I think they're onto your "low and down Broadway" strategy...

Are they? They couldn't score before that inning or the one inning he pitched after that one. His career ERA against the mets is 2.14 and his ERA this year still stands at 3.57, so I'd argue that for the most part hitters are NOT on to his "strategy". ;)

joecahill wrote:Pitchers do this garbage pretty regularly. Whether they're doing it during a game or at the end of it, shut your gap, keep your hands to yourself, and walk off the mound. Then batters might not stare your HRs down as they're leaving the park.

Find me a pic of Cole Hamels doing that.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yoda wrote:I don't understand what Hamels is crying about. Torii Hunter flips his bat even when he doesn't get a hit. Hamels is just pissed because LoDuca sucks and he gave up a homer to him.

really? you think thats the reason? :-°

as for staring down a homer, i dont like to see it much either, but again i STILL feel like thats alittle bit different than intentionally flipping and tossing the bat 15 feet toward the dugout. watching the home run to see how far it goes at least serves a purpose (which is to see how far you hit it if you know its out) and flipping the bat is intentionally hot dogging, but like i said, i still dont like seeing guys stare down the homers. hamels probably shouldnt have used the media to say what he wanted to, because now, the mets will be watching for it. they may have forgotten about it down the line >:)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:47 pm

The Mets might, MLB won't. He tied his own hands coming out with it.

Also, this thread is already the #2 Google result for 'Cole Hamels fist pump'. :D

Google
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:49 am

dclark0699 wrote:As a pitcher myself...I'd love to see the pitcher's stare down hitters after they strike them out, or do some sort of glove flip/rip their shirt off and run around.

:D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:The Mets might, MLB won't. He tied his own hands coming out with it.

Also, this thread is already the #2 Google result for 'Cole Hamels fist pump'. :D

Google

number one now... ;D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jnormy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:33 pm

dclark0699 wrote:As a pitcher myself...I'd love to see the pitcher's stare down hitters after they strike them out, or do some sort of glove flip/rip their shirt off and run around.

Stop staring at the ball and run to first. Nothing makes you look more like an idiot than staring it down and then ending up with a single when it hits off the wall. You've hit one before, you will hit one again....act like it.

So wait, let me get this straight... you'd love to see a pitcher do it, but you belittle a batter for doing it. Not sure I see the logic there.

And as for pitchers staring down hitters and running around... if that's what you "love to see", just turn on any major league game, there's plenty of staredowns from the mound and fist-pumping after strikeouts, etc., etc. If you think showboating is limited only to hitters, you're missing half the game.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:35 pm

jnormy wrote:

Stop staring at the ball and run to first. Nothing makes you look more like an idiot than staring it down and then ending up with a single when it hits off the wall. You've hit one before, you will hit one again....act like it.

So wait, let me get this straight... you'd love to see a pitcher do it, but you belittle a batter for doing it. Not sure I see the logic there.

And as for pitchers staring down hitters and running around... if that's what you "love to see", just turn on any major league game, there's plenty of staredowns from the mound and fist-pumping after strikeouts, etc., etc. If you think showboating is limited only to hitters, you're missing half the game.

yeah i just saw carlos zambrano going nuts last night. so if someone ripped a homer off of him and flipped the bat and hooted and hollered going around the bases, i wouldnt have a problem with it. BUT, you'll never see cole doing that to a hitter, so why not treat him with some class back?

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jnormy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
jnormy wrote:

yeah i just saw carlos zambrano going nuts last night. so if someone ripped a homer off of him and flipped the bat and hooted and hollered going around the bases, i wouldnt have a problem with it. BUT, you'll never see cole doing that to a hitter, so why not treat him with some class back?

I do agree with you 100% about that, Hamels has been a class act so far in his career. But I don't think showboating to many modern-day athletes has anything to do with showing up the opponent so much as a "look at me" gesture. It seems like it's more the rule rather than the exception in sports anymore. Some old-time baseball purists might say that the way Ryan Howard dropped the bat and stared at his blast last night was a form of showing up the pitcher.

Granted, Lo Duca's bat flip was a step beyond that. Like Zambrano, Lo Duca does indeed let his emotions get the better of him on the field sometimes, for better or for worse. Even as a Mets fan, I won't be surprised or upset if he gets "backed off the plate" the next time he bats against Philly.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:42 pm

I think Cole is playing mind games with LoDuca and is trying to pump up the team. Good for him. Cole is acting like a veteran rather then a scared little girly pitcher
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:07 pm

really worked losing 2 outta 3 to the royals :,(

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:34 pm

jnormy wrote:

My logic was..If the batters are going to do it, I want to see the pitchers do things like that. If the hitters just ran the bases like they were supposed to, then there would be no problem.

My point was either both of them be able to do it, or neither.

And there is FAR FAR FAR less showboating coming from the mound, save for a few of the more intense pitchers (Closers, Randy Johnson, Carlos Zambano)...and the closers should get a free pass because they do it because their team just won the game.

I cannot recall I time I have ever seen a pitcher celebrate in the middle of an inning. When it does happen it is always after the last out of the inning on their way off the mound, and it is usually because they just got out of a jam.

But again...FAR FAR less from the pitchers.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers