Hamels Peeved at LoDuca - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hamels Peeved at LoDuca

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hamels Peeved at LoDuca

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Amazinz wrote:It seems like every guy in the majors stares down his homers nowadays. What Lo Duca did is par for the course and wasn't anymore pronounced than what the Phillies had done in the series, including Rollins fist pumping. I don't know how much of this is Hamels and how much is the reporter but Hamels should just man up and shut up. He got owned in that inning, badly, but his team came back and picked him up. Seems like a dumb thing to dwell on. And the implication that Lo Duca should be worried is laughable. Maybe if this was the 80s or earlier but if Hamels drills Lo Duca in his first AB next game, he's liable to get thrown out.

see, i think theres a difference between a geniune, excited fist pump and a long flip of the bat. i realize he was excited, as anyone should be. but there's a difference between being excited and 100 % trying to show up the pitcher. the flip was 100 % intentional and in my opinion directed toward the phillies. cole is not one to show anyone up out there either. i could understand if it was zambrano or scott olsen whoopin and hollerin out there, but it wasnt. i think it just shows a lack of class. cole needs to plunk him next time out but not in the 1st inning. do it when it's 7-1 phils in the 8th and cole's still goin strong, then it wont matter :D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:It seems like every guy in the majors stares down his homers nowadays. What Lo Duca did is par for the course and wasn't anymore pronounced than what the Phillies had done in the series, including Rollins fist pumping. I don't know how much of this is Hamels and how much is the reporter but Hamels should just man up and shut up. He got owned in that inning, badly, but his team came back and picked him up. Seems like a dumb thing to dwell on. And the implication that Lo Duca should be worried is laughable. Maybe if this was the 80s or earlier but if Hamels drills Lo Duca in his first AB next game, he's liable to get thrown out.

Then I guess you have no problem with Arod celebrating after he hit a grand slam off Soler in which Duca was complaining
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:44 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:see, i think theres a difference between a geniune, excited fist pump and a long flip of the bat.

Yeah, OK. And what about the stare downs on the Philly HRs that series? Was there a difference there too or you just chose not to notice them? ;)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pochucker » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Lets not forget (im Mets fan) that LoDuca is same guy who had big problem with A-Rod last year "admiring" one of his HRs.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Pochucker wrote:Lets not forget (im Mets fan) that LoDuca is same guy who had big problem with A-Rod last year "admiring" one of his HRs.

Then he's a hypocrite, but I still see nothing wrong with what he did. If I'm not mistaken (I very well could be because I don't follow the Phils) it seems like every time they show a highlight of a Ryan Howard home run, he's staring at the ball for a few seconds.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:14 pm

Yeah Howard is the worst star gazer on the Phils. And maybe Lo Duca is a hypocrite but that doesn't change much. Also, not that this makes it more wrong or more right, but there were a different set of circumstances with that Arod GS. That 8th inning had started out with the Mets down 8-7. By the time Arod came to bat the game was basically done (12 - 7) and then Arod hit the GS and was theatric about it. Personally I didn't care and all Lo Duca said was act like you've been there. For the record, I don't think Lo Duca had ever been part of a back-to-back-to-back. :D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yeah Howard is the worst star gazer on the Phils. And maybe Lo Duca is a hypocrite but that doesn't change much. Also, not that this makes it more wrong or more right, but there were a different set of circumstances with that Arod GS. That 8th inning had started out with the Mets down 8-7. By the time Arod came to bat the game was basically done (12 - 7) and then Arod hit the GS and was theatric about it. Personally I didn't care and all Lo Duca said was act like you've been there. For the record, I don't think Lo Duca had ever been part of a back-to-back-to-back. :D

When Arod hit the grand slam the Yanks were down 4-2
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joecahill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:06 pm

If Hamels didn't want any bat flipping, he should have tried not channeling Chase Wright in this situation; COLE: here's a tip. I think they're onto your "low and down Broadway" strategy...

Besides....

Pitchers do this garbage pretty regularly. Whether they're doing it during a game or at the end of it, shut your gap, keep your hands to yourself, and walk off the mound. Then batters might not stare your HRs down as they're leaving the park.
joecahill
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:08 pm

Well whatever. If that's the case then Lo Duca was hypocritical in his actions but that doesn't exornerate Hamels.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:16 pm

joecahill wrote:I think they're onto your "low and down Broadway" strategy...

Are they? They couldn't score before that inning or the one inning he pitched after that one. His career ERA against the mets is 2.14 and his ERA this year still stands at 3.57, so I'd argue that for the most part hitters are NOT on to his "strategy". ;)

joecahill wrote:Pitchers do this garbage pretty regularly. Whether they're doing it during a game or at the end of it, shut your gap, keep your hands to yourself, and walk off the mound. Then batters might not stare your HRs down as they're leaving the park.

Find me a pic of Cole Hamels doing that.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers