Mike Schmidt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Schmidt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Schmidt

Postby costag » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:10 pm

I need to share my story with some people that might appreciate it or have had something similar happen to them.

Anyway, it was a good day for me......I met Mike Schmidt, shook hands with him and got my jersey signed. It is now proudly displayed on my wall.

When I was 11 (1983) I wrote 6 letters to Phillies players (Schmidt, Rose, Carlton, Jaun Samuel, Von Hayes and Joe Morgan) and include baseball cards with them asking for their signature.

Only two responded!!!!!

I received a letter (without my card) from Rose stating he is too busy to respond to fans. Shocker, right?

I also happened to receive a letter from Mike Schmidt. It appeared to be hand typed and thanked me for wishing him and the phillies well in the future. It was hand signed. He also included a 5x7 hand signed picture as well as my card with a signature.

I always liked Schmidty but he quickly became my favorite player.

Today, as I smiled at him, shook his hand and watched him sign my jersey I felt like that 11 year old who had just receieved something special from his favorite player. It didn't matter that I spent $100 to buy the ticket for the signature....For past 24 years I have wanted to meet this idol of mine and shake his hand and say thank you for bringing a smile to an 11 year old's face.

He took some jabs from the media over the years as he played for Philadelphia but as of 1983, Mike Schmidt could do no wrong in my eyes.

It's funny how something that insignificant can make you feel like a kid all over again!
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Schmidt

Postby Jedimindtric » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:58 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was on the computer and went on the Braves web site. I came across a passage that said Dale Murphy would be a special hitting instructor at Disney for the next 3 days. Well, when I read it, it was the last of the 3 days. I then proceeded to throw my 2 year old son in the car and drive two hours to disney. The game was about to start and no Murphy in sight. I caught a glimpse of Glenn Hubbard in the dugout. I shouted down "Hey Hubby, Is Murph around?". He told me 1 second and disappeared. A few moments later, Murphy came out of the dugout to see me and my kid. We shook hands and talked for a bit. He played with my son for a minute, calling him by name. I could have cried. It was like I was 10 years old again and I was dreaming about the future. I'll never forget it. What ever happened to players like that anyway?
Jedimindtric
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:52 am

Amen. I have a Murph story myself that I think I posted here back in the day.

Yeah, Murph is ALL class and a good guy. I wish we had more like him these days.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby OT2000 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:31 am

wow.. he was the exact OPPOSITE for me. (Schmidt)

i smiled and asked him to autograph my baseball after a golf tournament. He just shook his head with a stupid smirk. There was only myself and my father too.

I'm glad your experience was better than mine, but it sucks you have to pay for his kindness.

It's kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.
OT2000
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:36 am

yeah schmidt is generally considered to be an a-hole.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers