Former Steroid Users - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Former Steroid Users

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Former Steroid Users

Postby zepfan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:12 am

Based purely on speculation, I'm having a tough time figuring why Aubrey Huff fell off so sharply. For some reason I keep drafting him thinking he's gonna turn it around but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. He's always been healthy so I dunno...
There are lots of other players in that same boat and all will be subject to scrutiny but the players have no one to blame but themselves. And Bud Selig I guess.

Also, I really don't think Frank Thomas was a steroid guy. I don't remember all the details but I remember hearing an awesome story about him when they first started testing. At the time there was no punishment for testing positive but (if memory serves me well) if enough people tested positive the league was going to introduce more strict testing and harder punishment the following year. Thomas thought the "effort" by the league to get rid of steroids was more of a token effort than anything. Part of the testing rules was that anyone who refused to take the test would automatically count as a positive test. He rallied some of his White Sox teammates to refuse to take the test - along with himself - in order to bring up the total of positive test results and increase the likelyhood of having the league do something firm about it.
It was one of the coolest things I have heard of a player doing and I pretty much decided after that that he was definitely not one of the steroid guys. You never know but I thought it was an awesome move in trying to get the league to be serious about testing.
Also if I remember correctly the league said he and his teammates better not follow through with the idea as they would be reprimanded in one way or another.
Having said that when I look at Thomas' early 90's numbers, assuming he was not on steroids, I could only imagine the kind of numbers he would have put up if he was on steroids.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers