Former Steroid Users - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Former Steroid Users

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Former Steroid Users

Postby doyourealize1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:05 pm

Hopefully most players have stopped using anabolic steroids. Let's try to name players who might have taken steroids, and whose decline might be attributed to stopping steroid use.

Based purely on speculation:

Sosa
Helton
B. Giles
These guys all used to have monster power numbers, but their power numbers abruptly declined over the course of a year or two.

Any ideas, or am I just blowing hot air?
doyourealize1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Former Steroid Users

Postby B1leper » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Call me cynical, but I think you could insert almost any power hitter from this generation onto your list. I hate to say it, but I think Canseco was telling the truth.
B1leper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jswede » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:34 pm

B1leper wrote:Call me cynical, but I think you could insert almost any power hitter from this generation onto your list. I hate to say it, but I think Canseco was telling the truth.

Agreed. There is/was simply too much money involved for players not to do it.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:35 pm

This thread is uncalled for. Innocent until proven guilty.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:37 pm

The Jury wrote:This thread is uncalled for. Innocent until proven guilty.

hence the original poster said "based purely on speculation"...nobody is saying they did it for sure, but theres really no way to tell who did them in the past so i don't see any harm in speculating...nobody is flat out saying these players are guility of steroid use
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:57 pm

Brady Anderson comes to mind.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby akula » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:23 pm

Albert Pujols
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:33 pm

Any power hitter from this era?

Try any dominant pitcher from this era... along with the majority of the power hitters... along with anybody who continued to play this game at a high level into their forties...

The use of steroids over the previous ten seasons was most likely borderline epidemic, starting from the lowest levels of the minors to the doors of Cooperstown. The advantages of HGH and Steroids, when used correctly, in conjuction with proper education and training patterns is literally unbelievable.

These weren't just guys going into back alleys or gyms and getting black-market, shady garbage and injecting it like a slot machine. This is biological science at work, with doctors, researchers, and clinical laboratories that reach far beyond Balco. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg, and hopefully that's all we'll ever see.

Twenty years from now, when steroid- and HGH-testing have become reliable and wide-covering, and testing for future performance enhancers is made a priority by the league, the difference in numbers around the league is probably going to be staggering. It will literally be like watching a completely different game.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, I'm not even getting down on the players who have used before. Hell, I'm a steroid supporter for any athlete, hell, anybody who wants to look or feel better (when used responsibly and correctly under close supervision by someone who knows what they're doing). But the fact that this ostrich is pulling it's head out of the ground during the middle of a nuclear meltdown certainly tarnishes the credibility of the game.

I just hope the mistakes of yesterday and today (and probably tommorrow) when it comes to this issue doesn't turn off our own children to being fans of our country's pasttime... because that's really what the most important thing about this game to me is.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:42 pm

Do you also realize that the guys you listed are now receiving AARP benefits, perhaps that is the reason for the decline in power.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby orange12 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Since we're all enjoying the guilty pleasure of sliding down the slippery slope of pure speculation:

Juan Gonzalez, Ivan Rodriguez, Benito Santiago, Andes Galarraga, Albert Belle, Frank Thomas and anybody else who looked like a stick on their rookie card and turned into a truck by the mid to late 90's. Because clearly that is a fool proof way to catch those sneaky roid junkies.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers