Calling out players at auction & Targeting players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling out players at auction & Targeting players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Subversive » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:33 pm

This is a great thread! Tons of great ideas.

Last year was the first year for our keeper auction league (5x5 roto), and we all went way overboard at the start. I spent $50 on Vlad, $47 on Arod, and $34 on Beltran in the first half hour, so I spent the next 3 hours doing nothing but slotting all the players into every team's spreadsheet (since I was auctioneer and commish, I got to keep it all organized:). I ended up with 8 players to get and $8 left at the end and grabbed Lidle (uggh), German (uggh), Astacio (ugghh), Grieve (uggghhh), Sanchez, Casey, Ausmus, and Teixeira (the pride of my draft, I get to keep him for $3 this year.:)). It was so ugly at the end, since it was all our first auction draft, it took us almost 9 hours, and it was Oscar night, so everyone wanted to get going to watch the show. They were all just tossing players out there and logging off as soon as we got the last one (online auction in IRC). I was wiped out afterwards.

This year I'll definitely be exercising more patience at the beginning, and not getting sucked into early bidding wars. I think we all learned a lot, and the 4 new owners joining the league (expanding from 12 teams to 16) should have fun with the learning curve. :)
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:41 pm

I'm not sure how deep it is. Versus other leagues.

16 teams and 21 players apiece (12 offensive/9 pitchers) at the auction. I think that's 341 players.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:43 pm

Subversive wrote: It was so ugly at the end, since it was all our first auction draft, it took us almost 9 hours, and it was Oscar night, so everyone wanted to get going to watch the show. They were all just tossing players out there and logging off as soon as we got the last one (online auction in IRC). I was wiped out afterwards.

LOL Sounds so familiar. Wow, 9 hours all in one day!?!? I thought 6 was hell....and we took 2-3 breaks during it.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Natural » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:01 pm

The key to an auction is knowing how much you would pay for each player and recognizing when there are deals and when other owners are overspending. It seems like the deals come at different times each year as owners adjust their strategies. You must be prepared and be able to recognize the trends for that particular auction. I make my own cheat sheet prior to the auction with set prices. I allow myself to go over that amount if the situation calls for it but I understand I must get a bargain elsewhere. Usually, I get the bargain before I go over my set price for another player.
The Natural
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers