Calling out players at auction & Targeting players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling out players at auction & Targeting players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby swingaway » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:28 am

i wish i could be in auction draft this mind playing game si very intresting i just made a nother yahoo id so if anyone got a free everything auction league i would like to learn how to play with peoples minds in an auction draft.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:37 am

I run a 16-team mixed league at Sportsline and last year we had an Online Auction. Majority of us were auction rookies....and it showed!

$260 cap for 21 players per team ( 6x6 with Holds and Hitters K's aside the normal 5x5)

Soriano went for $60; Magglio went for $49; Mulder for $35. Large majority of the stars were overbid on. Which did leave for some nice keeper bargains like Blalock, Zambrano, Peavy all $1. Billy Wagner went for $15; Kevin Brown $2.

We learned another thing. Never do a 16-team auction all in one day (6+ hours -- and the auction ran smooth as can be -- just so many players; I actually took a 30 minute nap as I spent 80% of my money within 30 minutes on Pujols/Arod/Helton/Gagne/Wood :o).

Ended up needing 13 players with $13 left. But guess what?? I dominated the league from Day 1; I never surrendered the league lead after mid-April!!! The other 15 were demoralized as there was nothing they could do. I almost had a perfect auction -- getting $1 keeper bargains of Blalock/Peavy/Zambrano/J.Reyes/Harden

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby swarmee » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:43 am

Anonymous wrote: I actually took a 30 minute nap as I spent 80% of my money within 30 minutes on Pujols/Arod/Helton/Gagne/Wood :o). Ended up needing 13 players with $13 left. But guess what?? I dominated the league from Day 1; I never surrendered the league lead after mid-April!!! The other 15 were demoralized as there was nothing they could do. I almost had a perfect auction -- getting $1 keeper bargains of Blalock/Peavy/Zambrano/J.Reyes/Harden

Nice implementation of stars and scrubs. That's pretty impressive.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby stevelabny » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:38 pm

13 $1 players out of 21?
and you still won?
thats embarassing for the rest of the league

also...6 hours is SHORT.
the only reason it went so quick is you were all over-spending.
more money on the table wouldve meant more bidding wars and a longer draft.
ours takes approx 10 hours every year.

plus, who's the nimrod who spent $60 on soriano when hes losing points for sorianos strikeouts?
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:16 pm

How did you do an auction at Sportsline? It seems to only offer drafts. Dows anyone know of an online live auction league?

Postby stevelabny » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:19 pm

for the record, REAL fantasy baseball drafts are done IN PERSON.
people getting together, sitting around a table and having a grand old time.
you'll find that probably 90% of auction drafts are done in person.
because its MUCH easier that way.

(and then you just enter the players and prices manually)
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:03 pm

We did the auction online with AIM chatroom (then manually inserted rosters through Sportsline)-- no problems whatsoever. Me and the co-commish were well organized going in (the key). He was the auctioneer and I kept rosters/$$ values.

The owners did a great job of cooperating as well (keeping track of rosters/$$ values as well). None of the childish bs I've experienced once/twice before in other Yahoo leagues (which is why I finally left there). Before the actual auction date, we set out a couple of 'practice auctions' just to show how things would work.

I agree 6 hours is short for an online auction. I was expecting longer since it was our first time. We took a 10-minute/15-minute break every 2 hours.

I agree in-person auctions would be better, but we all live across the country. I also can't exactly afford to take a trip to Vegas with school bills any time I want.

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:19 pm

swarmee wrote:
Anonymous wrote: I actually took a 30 minute nap as I spent 80% of my money within 30 minutes on Pujols/Arod/Helton/Gagne/Wood :o). Ended up needing 13 players with $13 left. But guess what?? I dominated the league from Day 1; I never surrendered the league lead after mid-April!!! The other 15 were demoralized as there was nothing they could do. I almost had a perfect auction -- getting $1 keeper bargains of Blalock/Peavy/Zambrano/J.Reyes/Harden

Nice implementation of stars and scrubs. That's pretty impressive.

True, but I am guessing he didn't draft Reyes and Harden ..

Pujols, Arod, Helton, Gagne, Wood were his top 5.

Blalock, Peavy, Zambrano were only 3 of the 13, $1.00 players he drafted. That means 10 of them aren't worth keeping, even for 1.00, or just not worth mentioning. Maybe he has a keeper limit, I don't know.

just two ways to look at something I guess.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:42 pm

Yep I got both Reyes and Harden at the auction. I was originally wanting Jesse Foppert, but the guy right before me put him up for a $1...and obviously I couldn't bid $2.

Last year was my best year of fantasy baseball in the 12 years I've been playing. Luckly last year was my first keeper league & 1st year of it. Nothing was better than demoralizing the other 15 all year long :o). They're all very baseball savy guys, but I didn't draft one injured player and everyone on my team did as predicted or better and made a couple decent deals along the way.

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:27 pm

Anonymous wrote:Yep I got both Reyes and Harden at the auction. I was originally wanting Jesse Foppert, but the guy right before me put him up for a $1...and obviously I couldn't bid $2.

Last year was my best year of fantasy baseball in the 12 years I've been playing. Luckly last year was my first keeper league & 1st year of it. Nothing was better than demoralizing the other 15 all year long :o). They're all very baseball savy guys, but I didn't draft one injured player and everyone on my team did as predicted or better and made a couple decent deals along the way.

you must have pretty deep rosters then ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers