Calling out players at auction & Targeting players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling out players at auction & Targeting players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Calling out players at auction & Targeting players

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:43 am

In our league, the last place team calls out the first player and it rotates clockwise around the room. I used to think it didn't really matter how guys were called out, but in the last couple years I've been waiting like a vulture for the last place team to arrive and then sit to his left.

I used to think that it was a good thing when players I wanted weren't getting called out early. I figured that by the time they get brought up teams will have less to spend and more slots filled positionally.

True, that can happen. But for every couple times that's true, you get one time where there's major panic inflation as guys realize hey, there's only 2 decent 3rd basemen left, or uh oh, I have to get these steals or I'm toast, or holy crap, I have $150 left? And to compound the problem, if you let that guy go you've now sat idly by sitting on this one dude while other good candidates have been sold off.

I now like to bring up the guys I'm targeting ASAP! If you get them, you maybe pay a couple dollars more, but if you don't get them you can move on to plan B.

I know it's best not to target specific players and to stay flexible, but true sleepers are hard to find these days and sometimes there's a player that fits your team's needs perfectly. For those players sometimes you can't help but target them.

I've found that when I get these targeted players out of the way, whether I get them or not, I feel very flexible and in control - as if the draft is going in my favor. Even if I did not get my targeted guy I know that I must then get one of a selected group of players or can even pick up a bargain if one pops up.

Do any of you use a strategy in what players you call out for auction?
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hbj79 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:02 am

You want to call out speed players early. As soon as they begin to become scare the price you will pay for them goes through the roof.

I also have $14 reserved to get Joe Mauer this year (keeper League) and so I am going to call out his name with my first pick. I'm calling his name first so I know if I get him or if I can spend the money elsewhere. This works because if I don't get him I will just get a $1 catcher.

The opposite strat. would be to call out other catchers at low prices and hope people fill up on those.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:34 am

I agree that calling out players that you want and bidding early can be a very effective strategy. There's been so much advice over the last couple years to do the exact opposite that many owners are holding back too much in the early going, which can lead to some solid bargains.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:32 am

I would think that getting the big money players out of the way early will deplete some cash and also maybe help you to get a big player for a little less money.

If A-rod was the first player would I through out $60 on him or be more conservative knowing I had to buy a lot more players to come.

This is all theory to me because i've never played in an auction league.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 am

Well it used to be like that, but not since probably the mid-90's. Big names would get extreme bids early and there were bargains galore the rest of the draft. Some owners would be so poor they would have to twiddle their thumbs in the middle rounds.

Now owners are more intelligent in general with being more experienced and every idiot having internet access. The very beginning of our auction draft often times reminds me of the beginning of a boxing match where the fighters are kinda getting a feel for the opponent.

It seems like prices are higher as the stud availability dwindles as opposed to the very beginning when everyone has money.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby swarmee » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:03 am

Hbj79 wrote:I also have $14 reserved to get Joe Mauer this year (keeper League) and so I am going to call out his name with my first pick.

??? Spend that money elsewhere. You should be able to get Kendall or Varitek for that price. Why waste it on Mauer?
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby swarmee » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:05 am

Arlo wrote:I agree that calling out players that you want and bidding early can be a very effective strategy. There's been so much advice over the last couple years to do the exact opposite that many owners are holding back too much in the early going, which can lead to some solid bargains.

If you want an example of that, check out the Auction Keeper League Reboot down the forums page. (Not really targeted at you, Arlo, just to the Cafe in general.)
Some owners were left with $20-80 when we were left in the $1-5 player pool.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:06 am

swarmee wrote:
Arlo wrote:I agree that calling out players that you want and bidding early can be a very effective strategy. There's been so much advice over the last couple years to do the exact opposite that many owners are holding back too much in the early going, which can lead to some solid bargains.

If you want an example of that, check out the Auction Keeper League Reboot down the forums page. (Not really targeted at you, Arlo, just to the Cafe in general.)
Some owners were left with $20-80 when we were left in the $1-5 player pool.

wow!

very interesting...

:-?
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:14 am

I like to throw out a player that is injured - might miss most if not all of the year. You get a oppurtunity to see which teams are looking ahead to next year, and what teams are thinking about this year. I play in an NL only 12 team league, last year my first player auction nomination was Trevor Hoffman, the team that got him has a great keeper now at $10, however, they basically showed there hand that the thought it was a rebuilding year for them. You have to be careful though, you don't want to get stuck with that guy, unless he was only $1.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby stevelabny » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:36 pm

from my draft:

originally the big names would come out first, people would overspend, then prices would come down but not dramatically, because the "poor" people would bid up the other good players at least enough to keep the other owners honest. right around the middle of the draft, the prices would plummet. the few conservative owners would then either get into mini-bidding wars, or snatch the best of the rest players for good prices and basically be able to push the poor teams around.

over the years, some of the other spending teams would learn to become conservative, which led to your idea of the conservative teams spending early and getting guys they want.
i think with the exception of one year, i have always been the conservative who never brings up guys i want early, and tries to save as much money as possible for middraft.
the year i spent money early, is the ONLY year i finished out of the money since my first season.(money=top 3,i finished 4th)
last season was my most ridiculous draft yet, as a few people had uner $100 left, and EVERYONE was under $180, and my roster read OF C Beltran $33. THATS IT. Bad drafting from the other regulars led to more trades than usual and the newbies finishing 1st and 2nd (i took 3rd) i wouldve won with a good final week. oh well.

basically, i STILL think its best to never bring up anyone you want early... let whatever big names you want fall as far as possible, if you get stuck in the secondary bidding-war for them, you still have a better chance of getting them cheaper than bringing them up early. Once the prices start to drop, then you have to decide on a case by case basis, I like to try to bring up some guys I want and sneak a them through cheaply right around the time when the last few stars or names are still out there and people start trying to save their money to get into the 14th best 1b-bidding war.

I also think its important to have $20-30 more than most other owners when you enter the $5 and under players mark. this assures you of getting most of the players you want to fill out your roster by letting you win 2 or 3 bidding wars. I have only seen ONE person use this strategy and get stuck with his 20 extra dollars and it was because the sleepers and bench players he targeted for the late rounds were awful. nobody else wanted these players.

the longer you play, the better you can correctly guess exactly what players you can afford for $260. Last year, I walked away fromt he draft table with almost the entire roster I had planned before the draft.

just like you say, owners have smartened up to bidding a lot early, which creates mid-draft bid wars, but surpringly enough they smarten up to that TOO, and then continue to smarten up to every new weakness they expose yearly until they have perfected their drafting. So every draft is different but the basics still apply: unless youre missing out on cheap great players early, the more money you have later the better you can control the draft.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers