HITTERS CHANGING LEAGUES. DOES IT MEAN THAT MUCH? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HITTERS CHANGING LEAGUES. DOES IT MEAN THAT MUCH?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:27 am

Anonymous wrote:Wrong again WRVERES!

In fact Thomes career numbers are overall slightly better in the 1st half.

Last season his 1st half and 2nd half stats were very similar.

24 / 23 HR split etc.

Never let it be said that WRVERES lets the facts get in the way of a good story.

WRVERES who did you tick off? It seems a guest is gunning for you? Lucky for you, he's off. But you found it anyways.

GUEST Thomes splits were 21 hrs/26 hrs. Going to the all star game inflates everyone's 1st half stats, since you have about a 90/72 split. Splits should be the 1st 3 months, versus the last 3.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Andy1234 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:50 am

This was an interesting thred to read. What was the original question? Oh yeah the changing leagues thing,

I've noticed that at the very begining of the year avg and other stats are usually a little down but over the course of the season the differences are minimal (with the exception of Parks, coaching styles, and other things that have been said)

Vlad still should be a top pick
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby NZF » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:40 pm

wrveres wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Get your facts right WRVERES

is this guy screaming at me? . Interesting ... :-?

as was pointed out to you already .. yes, Thome did struggle coming over ..

Since runs and rbis are a team dependent stat, and obvioussly Philly was a little better than Cleveland in this regard in '03. Now Thome has always been a 2nd half player, but if it wasn't for those 20 homers he hit during the last 7 weeks of the season it would have been a huge dissapointment.

I guess there is no need to point out his .266 BA vs the .300 and .291 he posted the two years before.
Oh thats right.... most of the people here don't really pay attn to BA. It not an important stat ;-7 so sorry ... you were right. Thome fit into the NL just perfectly... :-D

Yeah I agree this is all becoming a bit tedious but I am too a man of principal.

Once again just for you and Hootie.
His career slugging, avg, OPS and OBP are better before the All Star break than after. Of course there are more games before the break but what have these categories got to do with games played?
Also his best career monthly numbers overall have been posted in June. Funny I always thought that month was in the first half of the season.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Brendo » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:38 pm

I'm not so worried about Vlad switching leagues, but the switch in parks will hurt the HR numbers.

And it's safe to say the SB's will go down, if not this year, then very, very soon.....and more than likely dissapear (Sammy Sosa)

It's for those reasons I'm shopping him in my keeper league.

I think he'll still be good.....but not top-3 good.
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:59 pm

Hitters switching have a tough time adjusting and free swingers struggle the most. As for pitchers, lefties have a better time adjusting and do good for most the of the first yr until they change. These paraphrases come from the Baseball Forecaster to the best of my memory since I am work and left it at home.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers