HITTERS CHANGING LEAGUES. DOES IT MEAN THAT MUCH? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HITTERS CHANGING LEAGUES. DOES IT MEAN THAT MUCH?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HITTERS CHANGING LEAGUES. DOES IT MEAN THAT MUCH?

Postby NZF » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:47 am

I would be interested in people's thoughts if they think it affects fantasy values.

Pitchers as well for that matter.

IMO it matters very little.

Jim Thome I-Rod and at the other end of the quality scale Tino Martinez are very good recent examples of little if any difference.

I have been thinking about this with Vladdy and Sheff in mind.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:15 am

Other than things like park effects, managerial tendencies (e.g. steals), I don't think there's much to it. Or maybe it's better to say, there may be an effect as a player adjusts, but I don't think you can predict it in advance, so I wouldn't let it influence your thinking.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Arlo » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:16 am

I'd say it's a factor which should be considered, but it's just one part of the equation (along with ballparks, lineups, etc.) when evaluating the effect of changing teams.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:29 am

I think in pitchers the thing to look for is the Extra DH they have to face in the AL vs the Pitcher they have to face in the NL.

For Hitters i'd have to say that hitting in the AL is more beneficial because if you are trying to play through a nagging injury they can put you at DH for a while and you don't lose any At Bats.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby KPucks » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:11 am

I don't think that switching leahues is that big of a deal for hitters but I usually expect below average numbers for the beginning of the season if it is the player's first time facing the pitchers in his new league. Then again, interleague play has allowed hitters to see the pitchers from the opposite league more so the effect is much less now.

As for pitchers, if a guy goes from the NL to the AL, I expect his ERA and WHIP to go up some b/c of the DH and vice versa for a guy going to the NL. Othercategories such as wins or saves are very dependant on the new team the player is on. Also, a lot of times pitchers will have good success their first time facing the teams in their new league, but on the second and third time around they will come back to Earth.
Last edited by KPucks on Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:56 pm

Pitchers have to face a DH in the AL which does make a difference from the "free K" every 9th batter in the NL. I move era/whip up slightly for pitchers going to the AL and down slightly for pitchers going to the NL depending on home ballparks of course ;-) .

As to hitters, the ballpark is the biggest factor for me. Are they going from somewhere like LA, to Kansas City? Which division are they in? Starting rotation for the teams in their new division? There are quite a few factors involved for me. Easier to do hitters on a case by case basis for me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BKeller » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:52 pm

A lead-off hitter moving from the NL to the AL should get somewhat more runs and RBIs. Because the 9th batter will be a professional hitter rather than a pitcher, the AL leadoff guy will have runners on base more often (RBIs chances) and will get on base with fewer outs (because of the 9th hitter's better OBP), which will increase his runs. Not a huge effect. That said, for #3 hitters like Sheff and Vlad, the NL-to-AL effect is pretty minimal, although the other factors (lineup, park factors) can still make a difference.
BKeller
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dude86 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:05 pm

Ask Robbie Alomar...
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:31 pm

So what was Alomar's excuse last season back in the AL.

He is not a good example at all. Nagging injuries and the simple fact that he now is no where near the player he used to be at 36 makes more sense for his decline than his excuse of finding the adjustment difficult. If so why is he now back in the NL? I guess 'cos Arizona was the only team that wanted him!
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:07 pm

So would everyone still be ok taking Vlad real early? Any hesitations??? :-?

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers