Is Vernon Wells Injured? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is Vernon Wells Injured?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Vernon Wells Injured?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:03 pm

kemper5 wrote:I just do not see him doing anything close to what his average has been over the last 5 years. In 5 years he has averaged 28 HR's, 98 RBI's and has had a .287 ave. Now, with 1/2 the season almost in the books and fast approaching Vernon has to produce basically a 25 HR, 70 RBI's and a .300 ave from here on out just to even break even on his averages. Even though I hate to say it, I do not see this happening and see a very 15-18 HR, 65-72 RBI, .270 season which is far off his mark. He will have to catch absolute fire and not let down to put in his usual 30 HR, 100 RBI type season. Go Vernon :B

While that's true that he'd have to put up those numbers to provide the appropriate value to the team that drafted him all he has to do to provide value to the team that trades for him at this point is put up a prorated 28 hr, 98 rbi, .287 clip. And that's assuming that you pay full value for him.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Is Vernon Wells Injured?

Postby kemper5 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:15 pm

I see a 10-12 HR, 35-45 RBI, .270 carrout from this point on. If I did not have him, Im not sure Id trade for him, I just think he'll be that dissapointing. I think we would have seen a little life from him by now. I just see a bad year in his cards.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Is Vernon Wells Injured?

Postby kemper5 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:41 am

Just traded Vernon/Beltran and Uggla for Arod/Cuddyer and Street..My days of Vernon are gooooonnnneee..Just do not see him doing a ton this year and like Cuddyer better at this point.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fritzenhammer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:01 am

June and July are VW best month's statistically speaking, so I'm hopeful he'll turn things around soon.

He did hit .298 with 4 HR in April, so as bad as he's been it's really only been a stretch of 37 games which while significant, is still to short a time to write off a guy with his track record.

I've made my bed, now I'm going to have to lie in it. :)

FH
Fritzenhammer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Doughhead » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 am

Fritzenhammer wrote:June and July are VW best month's statistically speaking, so I'm hopeful he'll turn things around soon.

He did hit .298 with 4 HR in April, so as bad as he's been it's really only been a stretch of 37 games which while significant, is still to short a time to write off a guy with his track record.

FH

You are really vouching for this guy. As a Jays fan and a Wells owner, I hope you're right 'cause he's been terrible so far.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby uk_bosox » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:23 am

The question I think is 'can he continue to be this bad? given his talent.

I've been offered Him and Ted Lilly for Wang & Torii Hunter...Am I mad to even consider it?
uk_bosox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JeFfReY4444 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 pm

i traded wells for a.jones and i am happy i got him off my team.
JeFfReY4444
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:45 pm

JeFfReY4444 wrote:i traded wells for a.jones and i am happy i got him off my team.

I have both on my roster at the moment. The good news is that you've gotten rid of a player in a season-long slump. The bad news is you've just gotten one in return. :b
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby denicola_dominates » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:58 pm

pujols and abreu for that matter are definitely slumping no more my friends pujols has really been onn a tear of sorts ;D ;D
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fritzenhammer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Doughhead wrote:
Fritzenhammer wrote:June and July are VW best month's statistically speaking, so I'm hopeful he'll turn things around soon.

FH

You are really vouching for this guy. As a Jays fan and a Wells owner, I hope you're right 'cause he's been terrible so far.

I've been through the numbers, and I have to vouch for him. We've seen what he's capable of, and there doesn't seem to be any tangible reason why he's in this funk. Looking at his career thus far, he's never been this bad before without an injury - the smart money says he'll be himself again at some point. The reality is that we as fantasy managers pay such close attention to a players performance that any extended slump starts to look like a career implosion, and it rarely is.

Of course the risk is I'm wrong, and the slump lasts all year, but I still can't see that happening, unless he's hiding some sort of injury problem. As a fantasy owner I basically have to throw the last 2 months out, and start fresh every day. As a Jays fan, I really hope I'm right too.

FH
Fritzenhammer
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates