5x5 roto players check in - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5x5 roto players check in

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 5x5 roto players check in

Postby meathead » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:27 pm

any of you roto players wanna get a league going for midseason and carry into next season? just seeing whos willing.. i posted in the classifieds section as well.
meathead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:40 pm

roto 4 lyfe
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:18 am

Amazing Oopah wrote:
meathead wrote:do any of you guys find h2h to be less of a challenge? the way i see it is you have to be active and strong for pretty much the entire season to win a roto league but in h2h you could dominate for 4 months and sit back for 2 months and do nothing and still make the playoffs. ill admit its more exciting to have playoffs but i still find it a little bit less challenging..

You say it as if there is a button marked 'dominate for 4 months' which makes all of your hitters get hot at the same time and all your pitchers throw complete games at will every week :B Maybe that's true in yahoo public leagues but in leagues where managers are actuallly putting some effort week in and week out, it's not as easy as you make it sound.

H2H is frustrating at times, because at times it seems unfair due to some lopsided matchups, etc.

But overall, I'd say H2H is much more fun and exciting, just knowing that every week is a game in itself, and every Sunday your matchup comes down to who performs and who doesn't perform.

A lot of people like roto on the Cafe because it's more fair. That might be true, the best team is going to win. But I don't find it nearly as rewarding or fun to play roto because I love the unpredictability in head to head and the trash talking, exciting matchups, etc. The best team doesn't always win every week but at least you know on Monday you have a clean slate again.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby meathead » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:26 am

yea i definitely see pluses to h2h. the possibility of upsets each week makes it exciting, but it all comes down to opinion. and when it comes down to it i guess im just more into winning on good decisions over the whole season than getting hot at the right time. h2h still takes alot of skill but ive played in leagues before and it sucks when you lose to someone who doesnt check their team and rapes you one week while they have 3 listed injured players in their starting lineup.
meathead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Denmarch » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 am

I enjoy roto for what it's worth, but it kind of seems a partial sacrifice of the surprises and excitement of the short run for the rationality of predicting long-run trends. If real baseball were run like a roto league, team standings would be determined in part by a season-long home run derby, a six-month relay race, and the like. A baseball team's measure of pure power or speed, or of pitchers' 'stuff', over time does not ensure it victory; it only improves its chances. In the end, this is why I prefer H2H: your league's version of the Devil Rays can beat your league's Red Sox in any given week, even if the odds are in the Red Sox's favor. Power, speed, and "lights out" pitchers give you the edge, but you are not ensured a high standing by having the "best" overall players.
Denmarch
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dca5627 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 am

5x5 Mixed Roto ... first year to play 5x5 though since 2004 until now we played like 8x5.. till we realized you didn't have to have any pitching to win then fixed it. I really like not having SO's but .. not having BB's is offset.
dca5627
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:52 am

roto only here. haven't played much H2H, but i refuse to play anything where a "churning/streaming" strategy or something similar can pretty much guarantee winning the W and K categories, not to mention carrying nothing but relievers to win ERA and WHIP. that's an injustice to fantasy bb and it's a shame and disgrace to the whole concept of what good pitching ought to be. it just doesn't fly in my book. the rewards of persistence and patience are just as sweet and fits my style of play better.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:29 am

Roto's my favorite, but it sucks if your team sucks
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby meathead » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:29 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:roto only here. haven't played much H2H, but i refuse to play anything where a "churning/streaming" strategy or something similar can pretty much guarantee winning the W and K categories, not to mention carrying nothing but relievers to win ERA and WHIP. that's an injustice to fantasy bb and it's a shame and disgrace to the whole concept of what good pitching ought to be. it just doesn't fly in my book. the rewards of persistence and patience are just as sweet and fits my style of play better.

my thoughts exactly. i played in 6 h2h leagues in the last 3 years and i won 3 of them and made the playoffs in 5 of them just on streaming pitchers. it does reward players that are more involved in that way, but i agree with this statement as pretty much the reason i started this thread. but to each his own...
meathead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LukeW9027 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:16 pm

bleach168 wrote:roto 4 lyfe

;D ;D
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager